sync - magic nodes - playlist

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

soul.rebel.moon

sync - magic nodes - playlist

Post by soul.rebel.moon »

does anyone knows how can I sync my ipod with a magic node I've created? or, how can I create a autoplaylist that includes all the tracks in a magic node?

is there a way to synch an ipod with 2 playlists at the same time, but giving diferent priority to each playlist?
ie:
playlist A : first (all the tracks will be in the ipod)
playlist B: second (all the tracks that fit in the free space left)

thanks to all 4 this board.
Triponi

..Or in fact arbitary node - e.g. MegaDJ?

Post by Triponi »

I would also be very interested in any ideas about this.

Rather than magic nodes, I use MegaDJ for my autoplaylists, so would like to be able to sync one of these playlists. If it's not possible directly, does anyone know of a script that will copy the contents of a magic node/MegaDJ into a static playlist in the background, that could then be used in turn to sync to an iPod? Ideally, it would be triggered to run automatically just prior to any autosync.

Thanks to anyone who shares their knowledge! :-)

Triponi
Triponi

Re: sync - magic nodes - playlist

Post by Triponi »

Any ideas.....? Anyone.......?

Surely this can't be too hard (and of interest to a lot of people I would have thought). Even if someone could point me towards some "similar" scripts that I could hack together to get what I want that would be really useful.

Thanks,

Triponi.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

There really isn't a way. Consider that auto-playlists are a gold feature, and something like this would certainly circumvent the need for auto-playlists at all, since scripts are free.

The only thing you can do is copy the contents of a node into a static playlist.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Triponi

Post by Triponi »

Thanks nohitter151 :-)

Sure I understand. But copying into a static list would be fine. Any ideas how I can do that with a background script, that would run just prior to a sync?

-------------------

On a separate note, I've seen that explanation on the forums quite a few times now and I find it very frustrating. I.e. "That can't be done because it would open up a backdoor for basic users to get gold features". In other words, MM is hampering the functionality of full paying users due to it's licensing terms. As a gold user, in principle I should be fully entitled to develop a script to do X, but I'm not allowed to do it, because someone else might use that script who hasn't paid. I am being restricted not for my actions, but for the possible actions of others. Classic dog in the manger.

I think this API (if that is where the restrictions are) should be thought out more effectively. Rather than "hiding" gold features from the scripting interface. Why not make everything fully available? It should then be up to the MM installation itself to enforce access to the APIs. Hence, if I try and run my script X as a basic user, MM will throw an error "you must upgrade to use this script", whereas if I try and run it as a gold user everything would be fine. Isn't that then win-win for everyone?

Triponi
Triponi

Post by Triponi »

Sorry as a further point. The architecture as it exists already fails to achieve its purpose. Consider the MegaDJ script. Using that script enables you to do absolutely everything it is possible to do with autoplaylists (and far more besides). In other words why upgrade to gold when you can get superior features for free?
Benn

Post by Benn »

To further help enhance the development of a great program? I don't think theres actually anything to stop you from developing your own script, which is one of the great features of MM - its almost "open source" approach. Also, to ask MM to copy something into a static playlist doesn't involve anything "gold" at all I believe.
Triponi

Post by Triponi »

I agree. That's my point. The restriction of "gold features" to scripts is inconsistent at best - i.e. my MegaDJ example. Hence, the restriction of certain API is almost pointless. IMO the original rationale for the gold stuff, and implementation needs to be thoughly rethought. But anyway, I don't expect anyone to listen to me and I digress.....

Benn - How?! :-)

Let me restate my question again as I got sidetracked ranting :-) Can someone point me in the direction of a script that will create a new static playlist from an arbitary node (i.e. MegaDJ or magic nodes). Ideally, this script would be automatically triggered to run just prior to a sync.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Triponi wrote:I agree. That's my point. The restriction of "gold features" to scripts is inconsistent at best - i.e. my MegaDJ example. Hence, the restriction of certain API is almost pointless. IMO the original rationale for the gold stuff, and implementation needs to be thoughly rethought. But anyway, I don't expect anyone to listen to me and I digress.....

Benn - How?! :-)

Let me restate my question again as I got sidetracked ranting :-) Can someone point me in the direction of a script that will create a new static playlist from an arbitary node (i.e. MegaDJ or magic nodes). Ideally, this script would be automatically triggered to run just prior to a sync.
No such script exists, but you're welcome to try and create your own.

Triponi

Post by Triponi »

Ok, I was starting to get that feeling :-( I am of course happy to develop one myself as nothing seems to do the job.

The point is, that though I am an experienced programmer, I have very little experience with media monkey scripting syntax. Hence if I could find several scripts that have the parts I want I could cobble it together and infer the syntax pretty easily, but writing it from scratch myself is going to be tricky.

So I'm looking for a script (any script) that is automatically triggered by a sync operation. If I could also find a script that generates a playlist. And another one that got the contents of a magic node say I'd be laughing.

So, as most of you know far more about what is out there than me, would anyone be kind enough to start me off and point out some likely candidates for me to investigate?

Thanks very much
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

This one creates a playlist: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... cks#p92930

I'm really not aware of any that work when a sync operation is carried out.

Also: this thread is relevant in many ways - http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... &sk=t&sd=a

ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Triponi wrote:Can someone point me in the direction of a script that will create a new static playlist from an arbitary node (i.e. MegaDJ or magic nodes)
Have you tried the right click on the node caption and Send to / Playlist / New playlist or Send to / .m3u Playlist?
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

Can someone point me in the direction of a script that will create a new static playlist from an arbitary node (i.e. MegaDJ or magic nodes)
Hope this further helps you along the path of syncing...

Using playlists, there are essentially two ways of adding tracks, by SongData type, or by track ID directly:

ISDBPlaylist::AddTrack
ISDBPlaylist::AddTrackById

The former (AddTrack) uses the SongData object:

Playlist manipulation can be done via these two links:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/SDBPlaylists
http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.php/SDBPlaylist

I'm not sure about MagicNodes, but MegaDJ stores ID numbers in the text files (inside the MegaDJ folder), and SongData objects (of all tracks) in memory, so you have a couple of ways of retrieving tracks from those nodes. Though I'm guessing you may need to access the text files in the first place, since there seems to be no way of directly retrieving tracks from the 'tracklists' that MegaDJ/MagicNodes uses.

To clarify, MegaDJ (and I presume MagicNodes) uses the TracksWindow object, which is a bit like a playlist, but outside MM's 'normal' playlists/autoplaylists.
Last edited by twinbee on Thu Sep 25, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.
Triponi

Post by Triponi »

Have you tried the right click on the node caption and Send to / Playlist / New playlist or Send to / .m3u Playlist?
I'm afraid that doesn't exist in MegaDJ. But there is a much more simple way. Just select all the songs in the list and then "sync selected". But then you have to empty the ipod first to make space of course. Oh, and make sure to sync it first to update all your play counts before deleting them. All a bit of faff. I was just hoping there was some "autosync" way of doing this, so I could just plug my device in as and when I wanted and know it was always up to date.

I'll eventually get round to writing a script myself I, but with a thesis to write up and a full-time job it's not going to be for AGES :-(

Oh well, I suppose my MM bubble had to burst at some point. This is the first time I've wanted something that doesn't exist!
ZvezdanD

Post by ZvezdanD »

Triponi wrote:[I'm afraid that doesn't exist in MegaDJ.
I don't know about MegaDJ, but the original poster asked for the Magic Nodes which has a support for mentioned Send to options for creating static playlists.
Magic Nodes 4.3.3 / 5.2 RegExp Find & Replace 4.4.9 / 5.2  Invert Selection/Select None 1.5.1  Export/Create Playlists for Child Nodes 4.1.1 / 5.4.1  Expand Child Nodes/Expand All 1.1.2  Event Logger 2.7  Filtered Statistics Report 1.6  Track Redirection & Synchronization 3.4.2  Restore/Synchronize Database 3.1.8 / 4.0.1  Find Currently Playing Track 1.3.2  Queue List 1.2.1  Add to Library on Play 1.0.1  Tree Report for Child Nodes 1.1.1  Update Location of Files in Database 1.4.5 / 2.3  Inherit Child Playlists 1.0.3  Add Currently Playing/Selected Track(s) to Playlist 1.2