Shared DB

Get answers about using MediaMonkey 4 for Windows.

Moderator: Gurus

irshjet35

Shared DB

Post by irshjet35 »

Ok, I have read the articles about trying to set this up, but havent been successful. I would like to figure out how to share my exsisting MMDB with my laptop. I have tried the DEIsync and didnt quite work, I tried putting the DB in a shared location and adding the location in the ini, but get a blank DB after that. My main objective here is not to add music from the laptop but to be able to play the music and update tags if neccessary. Any tricks or suggestions would be appreciated.
nohitter151

Re: Shared DB

Post by nohitter151 »

Did you move the ini file also to the ~\Program Files\MediaMonkey\ directory?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
tgriff9020

Post by tgriff9020 »

Hey Nohit,
I did not move the ini, only because I was thinking that the application wouldnt know where to look for that for the settings? Is this something I should try?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

irshjet wrote:Hey Nohit,
I did not move the ini, only because I was thinking that the application wouldnt know where to look for that for the settings? Is this something I should try?
Yes, its described in the support article:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=49
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
tgriff9020

Post by tgriff9020 »

I need to learn how to read thoroughly, I will test , thanks
wdpaynter

Post by wdpaynter »

I just want to be clear, too. As I have been trying to share one database for a long time with no success. Let's say I have a home pc w/ my music on external drives directly hooked up to that pc. I want to access the shared MM.DB on that PC from my laptop.

On My PC: I leave my pc's MM.DB where it is (...Local Settings/Application Data/...)(as long as it's a shared folder w/ correct permissions) and the only change I make on PC is to move the .ini file to Program Files/Mediamonkey/...

On laptop: close mediamonkey, delete its MM.DB, add path to system section of .ini file?? Move its .ini file to its Program Files/Mediamonkey/...????

I use above method and get blank database and default skin (new mediamonkey).

If I do all the same, but leave .ini file on laptop in it's defualt localtion (Local Setting/Application Data/) I get the songs, but all are greyed out and unplayable (no album art either.

It all seems so simple, but I am having a hell of a time. PLEASE HELP!!!!!
Thanks
wdpaynter
Systems on my LAN:
Office - HP Desktop - Windows 7 - 2GB RAM - 3.5TB HDD (Music) - 10.5TB HDD (Movies)
Living Room - HP Slimline AMD Phenom 9100e Quad Core 1.8GHz Processor - Windows Vista 64bit SP2 - 4GB RAM - 500GB HDD
Master Bedroom - HP Slimline AMD Athlon 64 X2 (B) 5000+ 2.6 GHz Processor - Windows 7 32bit - 2GB RAM - 500GB HDD
Garage - HP Desktop - Windows XP Pro SP3 - 512MB RAM - 500GB HDD
Laptop - HP AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 1.6 GHz Processor - Windows XP Pro SP3 - 896MB RAM - 65GB HDD
Netbook - Asus EEE Pc - Windows 7 32bit - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD
wdpaynter

Post by wdpaynter »

Is it possible that it has to do w/ the path a type in .ini file.

This is what I type:
DBName=\\William-office\Office Computer C Drive\Documents and Settings\HP_Administrator\Local Settings\Application Data\MediaMonkey\MM.DB

But, in laptop mediamonkey, song Path shows:
[MUSIC - 1TB]\Rock, Metal, & Punk\3 Doors Down - 3 Doors Down - 01 - 3 Doors Down - Train.mp3

When I used to scan laptop over network before (directly to separate database), the path would show with \\William-office\Music - 1TB\Rock, Metal.....

It's is obviously finding the ini file b/c greyed out songs show up. Also, I never closed Mediamonkey on PC while making changes to laptop files.
A little frustrated. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Systems on my LAN:
Office - HP Desktop - Windows 7 - 2GB RAM - 3.5TB HDD (Music) - 10.5TB HDD (Movies)
Living Room - HP Slimline AMD Phenom 9100e Quad Core 1.8GHz Processor - Windows Vista 64bit SP2 - 4GB RAM - 500GB HDD
Master Bedroom - HP Slimline AMD Athlon 64 X2 (B) 5000+ 2.6 GHz Processor - Windows 7 32bit - 2GB RAM - 500GB HDD
Garage - HP Desktop - Windows XP Pro SP3 - 512MB RAM - 500GB HDD
Laptop - HP AMD Turion 64 X2 Mobile 1.6 GHz Processor - Windows XP Pro SP3 - 896MB RAM - 65GB HDD
Netbook - Asus EEE Pc - Windows 7 32bit - 2GB RAM - 160GB HDD