iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

judas

Re: iPhone/iPod Touch 2.0 Firmware isn't compatible with MM

Post by judas »

Oh this also happened to me...now Ied to restore, and that's not good on a jailbroken iphone, need to redownload and reinstall all thos 3rd party apps!!

Is there a way to repair the problem without restoring the iphone? Maybe deleting the library, or transfering one valid song?

Thanks!
Cheers, judas
fros1y

Post by fros1y »

Newbee wrote:I am confused....I havent read the many pages, but I understand that MM is not YET compatible with iPhone 3G 2.x.
Does this mean that MM WAS compatible with the older version and you did NOT need to jailbreak your iPhone in order for it to be recognized in MM?
Right.
auburnrose55

Post by auburnrose55 »

Hmm, I'm not sure these last 3 replies were responding to my post or not. I'm new to posting on this forum, so forgive this newbie please!

To recap...my iPhone 3G is working fine, and it syncs fine with iTunes. BEFORE I let the iPhone touch my PC, I checked this forum, read that MM doesn't yet support it, so I was very very careful not to run MM at the same time the iPhone was connected to the PC. So, MM never "saw" the iPhone 3G, never tried to touch it. Here's the sequence of events

1. Before ever connecting the iPhone 3G to the PC: MM worked great with my iPod 60GB, and iTunes was used only for occasional FW updates to the iPod (after 1-2 months the iPod 60GB gets in a weird state where the only solution I've found is a complete restore via iTunes - annoying but infrequent, I've learned to live with it).
2. Before buying the iPhone, I checked this forum, saw the issues with MM non-compatibility with iPhone 3G, and decided to get it anyway and wait for the MM development team to fix the problem. I'm already experienced with keeping MM and iTunes completely separate, never running at the same time.
3. I bought the iPhone, used iTunes to configure it & sync with Outlook apps, bought a few apps from the iTunes store, and generally get to know my new toy (oops, I mean tool!). MM was never run during this stage.
4. With no iPhone connected and with iTunes not running, I ran MM to sync my old iPod and to create a M3U file with my favorite playlist.
5. With MM not running, even in background, I connected the iPhone, ran iTunes, imported the M3U file into iTunes & downloaded it to the iPhone. No problem, everything worked fine, I went to bed happy :)
6. Next morning, after a fresh reboot, with no iPhone connected and iTunes not running, I tried to run MM to listen to music. The splash screen came up, the minilyrics screen came up (I use the minilyrics plug-in for MM), but MM never started. The MM icon appears in the system notification tray, but when I try to click on it, it disappears.
7. I checked this forum, saw the trick about renaming the d_iphone.dll file, tried that, but it didn't work.
8. I saved my MM backup directory (I'm using trixmoto's Backup script) before uninstalling MM, downloaded the latest version of MM & installed that. MM still won't run. I renamed the d_iphone.dll file again, but MM still won't run.

Current status: Itunes is fine, the iPhone 3G syncs with it and the iPhone is fine. MM will not run, period. The MM splash screen appears, the minilyrics window opens, the splash screen disappears, the minilyrics window disappears, the MM icon is in the system notification tray, but MM does not run, and the MM icon disappears when I try to click it. The only tracks in iTune's library are from the M3U file I imported, I don't let iTunes touch most of my 130GB+ music library, I'm addicted to MM for managing the library. I haven't synced the iPod 60GB since all this started.

Why won't MM run now?
Newbeee

Post by Newbeee »

When MM does come up with a plug-in or fix to make it compatible with the iPhone 3G (non jailbreaked) will it work on ALL versions of MM?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

auburnrose55 wrote:Hmm, I'm not sure these last 3 replies were responding to my post or not. I'm new to posting on this forum, so forgive this newbie please!

To recap...my iPhone 3G is working fine, and it syncs fine with iTunes. BEFORE I let the iPhone touch my PC, I checked this forum, read that MM doesn't yet support it, so I was very very careful not to run MM at the same time the iPhone was connected to the PC. So, MM never "saw" the iPhone 3G, never tried to touch it. Here's the sequence of events

1. Before ever connecting the iPhone 3G to the PC: MM worked great with my iPod 60GB, and iTunes was used only for occasional FW updates to the iPod (after 1-2 months the iPod 60GB gets in a weird state where the only solution I've found is a complete restore via iTunes - annoying but infrequent, I've learned to live with it).
2. Before buying the iPhone, I checked this forum, saw the issues with MM non-compatibility with iPhone 3G, and decided to get it anyway and wait for the MM development team to fix the problem. I'm already experienced with keeping MM and iTunes completely separate, never running at the same time.
3. I bought the iPhone, used iTunes to configure it & sync with Outlook apps, bought a few apps from the iTunes store, and generally get to know my new toy (oops, I mean tool!). MM was never run during this stage.
4. With no iPhone connected and with iTunes not running, I ran MM to sync my old iPod and to create a M3U file with my favorite playlist.
5. With MM not running, even in background, I connected the iPhone, ran iTunes, imported the M3U file into iTunes & downloaded it to the iPhone. No problem, everything worked fine, I went to bed happy :)
6. Next morning, after a fresh reboot, with no iPhone connected and iTunes not running, I tried to run MM to listen to music. The splash screen came up, the minilyrics screen came up (I use the minilyrics plug-in for MM), but MM never started. The MM icon appears in the system notification tray, but when I try to click on it, it disappears.
7. I checked this forum, saw the trick about renaming the d_iphone.dll file, tried that, but it didn't work.
8. I saved my MM backup directory (I'm using trixmoto's Backup script) before uninstalling MM, downloaded the latest version of MM & installed that. MM still won't run. I renamed the d_iphone.dll file again, but MM still won't run.

Current status: Itunes is fine, the iPhone 3G syncs with it and the iPhone is fine. MM will not run, period. The MM splash screen appears, the minilyrics window opens, the splash screen disappears, the minilyrics window disappears, the MM icon is in the system notification tray, but MM does not run, and the MM icon disappears when I try to click it. The only tracks in iTune's library are from the M3U file I imported, I don't let iTunes touch most of my 130GB+ music library, I'm addicted to MM for managing the library. I haven't synced the iPod 60GB since all this started.

Why won't MM run now?
Try creating a debug log as described at: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Newbeee wrote:When MM does come up with a plug-in or fix to make it compatible with the iPhone 3G (non jailbreaked) will it work on ALL versions of MM?
I'm not too sure what you mean, but no, it won't work with all versions of MM, only the latest release that includes the fix.

judas

Post by judas »

If by all versions you mean the free and the paid one then I think the answer is YES (plase correct me if I'm wrong), as the free version has always supported iPod integration.
Cheers, judas

Post by Guest »

Where are you in the progress? Can we expect an update soon? This is pretty urgent.
judas

Post by judas »

@Guest, as it has been said, it doesn't depend on MM devs but in the people who are trying to crack the hash file. Anyway, iTunes 8 is expected soon, and that's not good news either, nor for MM as a whole and neither for iPhone 2.0 software compatibility
Cheers, judas
Newbeee

Post by Newbeee »

In otherwords, I guess the consensus is don't your hold your breath for a MM update to be compatible with the iPhone 3G any time soon? :-?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Newbeee wrote:In otherwords, I guess the consensus is don't your hold your breath for a MM update to be compatible with the iPhone 3G any time soon? :-?
In all reality nothing anyone says here means anything except for the developers. If you want real answers, see the answers that the developers have already provided:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =a#p159210
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 15#p160768
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 60#p163553

cmx

Post by cmx »

While you guys are working the iPhone software, please consider including "Remote" app functionality.

I use Remote Speakers software from Eric Milles as an output plugin for MM to access my home sound system thru an Apple Airport express.

Using the iPhone as a remote is outstanding...it works flawlessly with iTunes and the Airport.

Note-

You guys are losing me here. I am now back to using iTunes for music playback here at home. I have now migrated a large subset of my music library into iTunes. With a small initial learning curve iTunes is working much better than MM3 for playback and browsing of the subset. (I have NOT attempted serious library maintenance work.) No one is annoyed more than I by Apple and it's software but as a consumer I need what I need. MM3 bricked my iPhones. MM3 is still very flawed and buggy. I do not run an instance of MM3 WITHOUT a lockup even for simple playback. Frustrating.

Good luck. If there is anything I can do to help the process of improving MM please let me know. I am one of the ones with a large library and maintenace needs. I will gladly give my time to help, but I will need specific instruction and focused attention. I will not pursue it unilaterally. It is simply too time consuming without clear direction and feedback.
firstdown

Post by firstdown »

jiri wrote:
I hope it explains the current situation, at this moment we really can't tell you more than 'we are trying to find some solution'. If you really need to blame anybody for this, I think that you should start with Apple.

Jiri

Don't want to put pressure on you guys, but could you please developers post an update on the progress on this?

I am so itching for upgrading my ipod touch... I can't seem to be able to install apps on the device with the 1.1.5 firmware I'm running on. And I really don't want to use iTunes to sync it, it sucks sooooo much!! MM is just great, I've been using it for a couple of years now, and would love to keep doing it.

Do you see the light at the end of the tunnel? I see this has been going around for several months now... again, no critic, just really would like to know if it's worth to keep holding breath.

I am aware you're at hard work, thank you for not giving up on this!!

Best regards
Guillermo
gino_76ph

Post by gino_76ph »

i'm planning to buy the updated iPod Touch and currently have the full licensed version of MM. would you mean i cannot sync my iPod Touch to MM at the moment? if No when will it be able to?
dgutter

Post by dgutter »

First I want to say, being a software developer myself, how difficult it can be to overcome some of these hashing.encryption methodolgy. I'm sure given enough time you will and unfortunately Apple will change it again in the future. A viscious cycle. I'm one of those that upgraded to 2.0 and found out the hard way that meant I had to use ITunes :( until MM cracks the hash. For all those that are upset about this, it just proves what a great product MM is to raise such high emotions.

On a slightly off topic question. Does anyone know if the new Nano-Chromatic is using the same/similar hashing that prevents it working with MM yet?

I love the product, especially sine I have almost 100k titles in my music library. I hate using ITunes.