Transferring the library to a new computer?

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

ndmushroom

Transferring the library to a new computer?

Post by ndmushroom »

I've been having a lot of trouble with something that should be really easy, so I'd appreciate some help.
I have stored all my music files in an external HDD unit, and then used Media Monkey on my PC to manage my collection. I have purchased a laptop and I want to transfer my library (I'm not talking about the music files, just the Media Monkey list) from my PC to the laptop, so that I can access my files as easily as I did on the PC, but I can't find how to do it!
Any ideas, plz???
rovingcowboy

Re: Transferring the library to a new computer?

Post by rovingcowboy »

connect to the pc with wireless and scann the library from monkey on the laptop.

or connect the external hard drive to the laptop and scan in all the songs from the external hard drive.

they are the simplest way to get the same external stored 8) library on two computers that i know of.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

DEISync from MoDementia is also an easy method to use. Or you can copy the db to the installation of MM on the laptop and use the Change Drive-ID script by Onkel_enno. Or you can copy the db to the MM on the laptop and use the File -- Locate Moved/Missing tracks option to find the tracks. As you can see, you have many options to choose from.

Nyn
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
ndmushroom

Post by ndmushroom »

Thanks a lot, but then again...
1. I don't have wireless on my PC so I can't rescan the library.
2. I could connect the external HDD to my laptop and rescan all the tracks again, but then again there wouldn't be much point in me posting this topic asking how to AVOID this, would there?
3.I tried to use DEISync, but I'm getting error messages saying "no such table: ExportDB.DEISyncExportDate (1, 1)" and even if I ignore it the script is not executed
which leaves me with
4. copying the db file to the installation folder of Media Monkey, only I have 2 questions: where is the db file, and where should I copy it? I've searched both my PC and my laptop for anything resembling a media monkey data base, but I can't find anything (except my exported DEISync data bases, which, as I said before, I cannot use).

Any new suggestions, plz?
ndmushroom

Post by ndmushroom »

Thanx a lot, that worked! :D