How to use Mediamonkey to sync with the Zune [A Guide]

Get answers about syncing MediaMonkey 4 with iPods and other devices.

Moderator: Gurus

Wargazm

Post by Wargazm »

that's interesting, because I specifically tested that. I changed the genre of a few albums, and zune picked the changes right up and synced them back correctly.

and as far as the album art images....meh. if they're that hidden, then I suppose I can live with them being there. It's not like they're hurting anything.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

I have discovered tonight that you can sync playlists with MM to the Zune with the correct settings, a very exciting developement. Please the the updated guide for instructions.

I will continue to answer any questions that I can regarding Zune syncing with MM, please post any questions in this thread.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Jaredhw61

Zune/MM

Post by Jaredhw61 »

Hi -

I'm thinking of buying a Zune, but the only thing holding me back is compatibility with MM, which I live and die by.

Many posts on this board are about syncing but I never really have done that in the past with my Creative Zen. I usually just manually load all of music artist by artist since my collection is too big for my players.

Is simply loading music onto the Zune (w/ album art/details/etc.) with MM a problem?
nohitter151

Re: Zune/MM

Post by nohitter151 »

Jaredhw61 wrote:Hi -

I'm thinking of buying a Zune, but the only thing holding me back is compatibility with MM, which I live and die by.

Many posts on this board are about syncing but I never really have done that in the past with my Creative Zen. I usually just manually load all of music artist by artist since my collection is too big for my players.

Is simply loading music onto the Zune (w/ album art/details/etc.) with MM a problem?
Not sure what you mean. The two main choices when using MM are 'Auto-sync' and 'Sync selected'. Both options are possible with MM and are described in the guide on the wiki.

Post by Guest »

Sorry if I wasn't clear. What I do is click on the artist name in the right hand column and right click. I then choose "send to" and it to my Creative Zen. This way I choose individual albums, etc.

Ok checked the wiki page and it seems you answered my question here:
"Synchronization with MM

Now just hit the Zune button in the toolbar (right next to the config drop down menu you clicked earlier. Alternatively you can right click and use the Send to -> feature. Syncing works! Songs and album art will be in all of the right places. When you are done, simply disconnect the USB cable from the computer."

So with your guide this is a relatively painless process to sync up? I'm really nervous about dropping this much cash and not having it work with MM, but it seems you guys have fixed the problem.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Anonymous wrote:...

So with your guide this is a relatively painless process to sync up? I'm really nervous about dropping this much cash and not having it work with MM, but it seems you guys have fixed the problem.
The sync process is painless. What can be a pain is having to fake sync the video file to the Zune, kill the process, and then switch the service provider with zAlternator every time you sync. Not that it's hard - just a bit of an annoying process. It isn't that big of a problem for me since I do not have to sync too often.

tgriff9020

Post by tgriff9020 »

nohitter151 wrote:

The sync process is painless. What can be a pain is having to fake sync the video file to the Zune, kill the process, and then switch the service provider with zAlternator every time you sync. Not that it's hard - just a bit of an annoying process. It isn't that big of a problem for me since I do not have to sync too often.

I agree , only because this process was available I went and bought a zune. But the process is a bit tedious, but is worth it to use the monkey. although my first sync was successful found a couple minor issues that were easily resolved, had to use the Zune SW though to delete the problem.(Missing Album Art (3), duplicate album (1)) not bad for 6000 song sync Are the developers going to implement Zune in future builds ??
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

irshjet wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:

I agree , only because this process was available I went and bought a zune. But the process is a bit tedious, but is worth it to use the monkey. although my first sync was successful found a couple minor issues that were easily resolved, had to use the Zune SW though to delete the problem.(Missing Album Art (3), duplicate album (1)) not bad for 6000 song sync Are the developers going to implement Zune in future builds ??
They have said that they would like to, but there still is no word on how it can be synced without having the Zune software installed and tricking it into thinking that MM is the Zune software (basically what zAlternator does.) It seems Microsoft would like to keep the Zune as much of a "closed format" as they can.

Mvpdj24

Zune 2.5 syncing????

Post by Mvpdj24 »

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to sync a zune with MM if it has the 2.5 firmware updated on the zune? I only ask because the zAlternator only has the option to select between 2.0-2.3 firmware.

software?

Post by Guest »

Anybody know where the Zalternator software went? I can't find it at the regular place:

http://www.darkzune.com/whiterabbit/zal ... taller.exe
nohitter151

Re: Zune 2.5 syncing????

Post by nohitter151 »

Mvpdj24 wrote:Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to sync a zune with MM if it has the 2.5 firmware updated on the zune? I only ask because the zAlternator only has the option to select between 2.0-2.3 firmware.
Yes, it works, I've used it since updating to 2.5. (2.4 works as well)
Anonymous wrote:Anybody know where the Zalternator software went? I can't find it at the regular place:

The official version is available here:
http://www.zuneboards.com/content/view/308/1/

but you'll have to get yourself a user name at ZuneBoards (it's free).

Post by Guest »

I signed in which took me to this page:
http://www.zuneboards.com/forums/comple ... nator.html

Which had the link to download the file:
Download here. (Hosted by DarkZune)

When you click on that link it takes you to the page:

Where there is no file...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Ok, I see. Sorry, I didn't realize - it appears that the download link is down. I'll try and see if I can track down another copy of the installer.

EDIT: You can download the installer for zAlternator at the following link: http://www.filedropper.com/zalternatorinstaller

Post by Guest »

Many thanks!

Post by Guest »

hello,

i have a big problem syncing my zune with the original zune sw:
i taggt all of my mp3s correctly with MM, but the zune sw (and of course the zune itself :-? ) shows ca 1200 songs with unknown album!

does this problem disappear when i use the MM for syncing?

thx for your help...