Solution to problems with scripts in Vista.....

Download and get help for different MediaMonkey for Windows 4 Addons.

Moderators: Peke, Gurus

tigers1122

Solution to problems with scripts in Vista.....

Post by tigers1122 »

I would get a "Product installation error" whenever I tried to run a MM3 script with Vista...here's what you do.

Control Panel>User Accounts>double click "Turn user control On or Off"> Uncheck "use UAC

you can probably turn it back on after the scripts are installed, but seeing as I am the only user I just left it unchecked.
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

You can also right-click on them and select "Run as administrator".
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
tigers1122

Post by tigers1122 »

trixmoto wrote:You can also right-click on them and select "Run as administrator".
I tried that and for some reason there was no option.....and I am the administrator. Either way I got it to work and am enjoying all of yours and others' scripts.

thanks a ton!
onenonymous

Post by onenonymous »

I found this on Microsoft's website - it might help with UAC issues?
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/techne ... fault.aspx
Here's some of the info from the page:
Script Elevation PowerToys for Windows Vista
Among the many features Windows Vista introduced to address security concerns, User Account Control (UAC) is one of the most significant. With User Account Control, even users who are administrators run most applications with standard privilege, but have "elevation potential" for specific administrative tasks and

application functions. After using Windows Vista™ for many months, elevating a task or application as necessary has become second nature. However, I also encountered a number of shortcomings when trying to elevate some types of tasks in Windows Vista, and that became frustrating.

So in the spirit of the old Windows® PowerToys, I’ve created a few Script Elevation PowerToys to overcome these limitations. You can find all of the PowerToys I’m about to discuss in the code download at technetmagazine .com/code07.aspx. And you can read about how UAC works in the November 2006 article "Achieve the Non-Admin Dream with User Account Control" by Alex Heaton (see the "Additional Resources" sidebar).
Run as Administrator for Scripts

The next irritant was that there was no "Run as Administrator" context menu option (when you right-click on the file in Explorer) for most Windows script types. The one exception was for command-shell scripts (those with .bat and .cmd file extensions). So I set out to investigate this. Many of the context menu options for file types are controlled through command keys for the "object" type in the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT section of the Registry (see Verbs and File Associations in the sidebar for details). It turns out that if that command key is named runas, the command invoked will prompt for elevation. This allowed me to create the following PowerToys:
Elevate HTML Application PowerToy (ElevateHTA.inf)
Elevate Windows PowerShell Script PowerToy (ElevatePowerShellScript.inf)
Elevate WSH Script PowerToy (ElevateWSHScript.inf, elevate.cmd, elevate.vbs)

These PowerToys add a Run as Administrator Explorer context menu entry (as shown in Figure 1) for HTAs, Windows PowerShell, and Windows Script Host file types respectively. ElevateWSHScript.inf also adds a Run as Administrator with Command Prompt menu entry. (Please read the note in ElevatePowerShellScript.inf before installing it.)
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

Just run MM as admin to install the script. Then you can go back to running it as a standard user. You do not have turn UAC on and off all the time.
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
bob61

Post by bob61 »

Glad I decided to stick with XP - never really a problem, can't imagine hassling over how to get scripts to install/work because of an operating system.
spacefish

Post by spacefish »

I bought a new machine and had a choice of Danish language XP or English Vista. I went for the language I knew best. ;)

All in all, I'm really glad I came in at the beginning of Vista's launch. It's been a learning experience and learning anything new is always a good thing. Now I'll be the know-it-all when my husband has to upgrade. 8)
MM Gold 3.0.3.1183 : Vista HP SP1 (x86) : Zen Stone (2GB)
Zekton: An original MM3 skin by Eyal.
Scripts in Use: Add/Remove PlayStat | Auto Album DJ | AutoRateAccurate | Backup
Case & Leading Zero Fixer | Classification & Genre Changer | Clean Scripts.ini | Clear
Field | Custom Report | Discogs Auto-Tag Web Search | Forget Crossfade | Invert
Selection/Select None | Last 100... | Lyricator | Lyrics to Instrumental | MonkeyRok
MusicBrainz Tagger | My Custom Nodes | Now Playing Art Node | Play History & Stats
Right Click for Reports | Right Click for Scripts | Right Click for Web | Stop After Current
WebNodes
bob61

Post by bob61 »

spacefish wrote:I bought a new machine and had a choice of Danish language XP or English Vista. I went for the language I knew best. ;)

All in all, I'm really glad I came in at the beginning of Vista's launch. It's been a learning experience and learning anything new is always a good thing. Now I'll be the know-it-all when my husband has to upgrade. 8)
Microsoft really did a poor job in certain areas of Vista. If there is this much learning curve and issues - maybe I should just look at a Mac next time :)