MM 2.2 _final_ localization update

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

rusty

MM 2.2 _final_ localization update

Post by rusty »

Just a short note re. the finalization of translations for MediaMonkey 2.2. First of all, thanks again to everyone that's contributed to translating MediaMonkey. As of Beta 1, it's available in English, French, Italian, German, Spanish, Portuguese (brazilian), Czech, and now Dutch!!

Beta-1 which was just launched today, is feature complete and has all strings frozen. This means that from this point on, you will won't have a moving target of continually changing English source strings.

The new mm-local.zip file associated with Beta-1 includes some string changes/corrections, new strings related to the improved Playlist management functionality and portable device functionality, and context-sensitive help for the Options panel.

I've also updated the localization instructions to:
-better explain what's needed in terms of installer localization
-explain what's involved in localizing the context-sensitive help popups in the options panel

We're hoping to release Beta 2, ~ March 22 and Release Candidate-1 ~ March 26. Our hope is that Beta 2 will contain:
-Fixes to all known high priority bugs
-Completed localizations
...and that Release Candidate-1 will contain:
-Fixes to any urgent issues discovered during the beta period (whether they're functional, or string-related).
...and that Release Candidate-1 will become the official release if no major issues are discovered after several days of testing.

My question to translators is: Do you think that this is realistic? i.e. is it possible to complete localizations for Beta 2, and to fix any bugs by RC-1? Let me know what you think...

Updated localization instructions are at:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/contrib/loca ... ctions.txt

The updated sources appear in their usual location at:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/contrib/loca ... -local.zip

-Rusty
Last edited by rusty on Mon Mar 22, 2004 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zyb

Post by zyb »

That's fine for me, I think. I can update the German translation till 22nd, bugs I don't know any of - except there are a couple of buttons a little too small for the string - but I think Jiri said that would be fixed some time in the future? It's not a grave usability problem at the moment, anyway, buttons are still readable.

Cheers, Zyb
Octopod

Post by Octopod »

Hi all translators! :D
My question to translators is: Do you think that this is realistic? i.e. is it possible to complete localizations for Beta 2, and to fix any bugs by RC-1? Let me know what you think...
I think i can do it too.

But one question: is it possible to test and check localized contextual help (mmcontext) with mm2.2b1 and, if so, how??

See you.

Octopod
rusty

2.2.724b Update--Context Files now easier to edit

Post by rusty »

Ok--based on your feedback, we've updated mm-local.zip to version 2.2.724b. The changes are:
1) minor updates to default.po
2) replacement of mmcontext.txt with mmcontext.po (this allows context help to be easily edited/managed in poedit, just like most other strings).

Updated localization instructions are at:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/contrib/loca ... ctions.txt

The updated sources appear in their usual location at:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/contrib/loca ... -local.zip

p.s. It's possible that we're going to have to add a 3rd beta to the development cycle, given work remaining + the late addition of these context files into a useful format.

-Rusty
zyb

Post by zyb »

I have to revise my before-made statement, for I underestimated the work necessary for translating context.po. There is no way I can make it to the 22nd, since there also came some short notice appointments in the way.

What was that about beta3 possibly necessary? Does that mean there's more time, anyway?

Cheers, Zyb
rusty

MediaMonkey localization schedule

Post by rusty »

Zyb,

It seems that this _was_ an overly aggressive target, both in terms of translation and in terms of bug fixing.

As you may have seen, beta 2 was posted today. I think there's definitely a need for a beta 3 ~ 1 week subsequent to that, and beyond beta 3, we'll have to see.

An announcement re. Beta 2 localization changes will be forthcoming shortly.

-Rusty