Can I open .mo files

If you want to translate MediaMonkey to your local language...

Moderators: rusty, Gurus

Lowlander

Can I open .mo files

Post by Lowlander »

I just got .mo files send to review, can I open these with poedit and how?
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

Lowlander,

no, the .mo files are compiled versions and can't be edited. Only the .po source files can be edited (as far as I know). But .mo files is all you need to check the translation in MM... maybe that's all the translator wants you to do.

By the way, if you have a chance, can you load the Spanish translation bundled with alpha 3 and tell me what you think?

Pablo
Lowlander

How to open to verify

Post by Lowlander »

True I'm just supposed to verify, but how do I open them?

And as of the spanish translation, I will look friendly to the lady, I'm myself not very fluent in Spanish.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

You have to create a <language>/LC_MESSAGES directory under locale in your MM folder, where <language> is the two-letter code for the language (you can ask the translator what the code is for his/her language). Then you put your mo files in this folder, and you're done (the new language will appear as an option when you restart MM).

I thought that since your location is Mexico you would know some Spanish :wink:. You may still want to check the basic functions, if you understand them it means they're definitely right...

Pablo
jiri

Post by jiri »

Btw, .mo files can be decompiled back to .po files, all you need is to install gnuGetText tools and one of the command line tools can do it.

Jiri
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well the Spanish seems okay, but no my location doesn't signify my language capabilities, unfortunately, life would be easier here, lol.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Didn't work, guess I miss some files for that.
Pablo

Post by Pablo »

What didn't work? You can take a look at the other languages to see if what you have ressembles that. The file that lets MM know that there is another language is language.mo. The other files contain the translation itself (the most important is default.mo).

Pablo