COM Elevator

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

maria.steyn

COM Elevator

Post by maria.steyn »

Hi I just took out a lifetime package forr MM GOLD on a new W10 1909 desktop.

Now daily I am getting pestered and annoyed by COM ELEVATOR. A quick Google Search revealed it has been pestering and annoying your clientele for over more than 8 years, although I never suffered from it on any of our Window 7 machines.

Can you please make it stop and goo away please? We use hundreds of third-party software and never ever COM ELEVATOR has irritated us.
I am sure your developers have a reason for this but please, can they make it go away in hiding?

Maria
Peke

Re: COM Elevator

Post by Peke »

Hi,
COM Elevator notice happen only when third party app changes MMW scripting services.

As you can see for past 8 years it is closely described, and only way (Microsoft made that) to register Global Scripting system based on COM Classes is to access system registry resources (eg. like "HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\SongsDB.SDBApplication", if you check permissions you will see what I am talking about) Which require elevated access which is controlled and only can be disabled within Windows User Access Control or editing registry permissions.

If you wish that you do not get prompt or you do not have any needs for MediaMonkey Scripting or taskbar player you can simply Install MediaMonkey as Portable to non restricted folder (eg. C:\Portable\MediaMonkey\) and you will not get any prompts or MM will access system resources.

It is something that Windows handles internally and unfortunately there is nothing we can do about it except to disable scripting completely.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
maria.steyn

Post by maria.steyn »

My dear Peke,

this is total gibberish to me. It me be due to the language barriers but The OR and the AND the IFs and the NOTs as well as "Which require elevated access which is controlled and only can be disabled within Windows User Access Control or editing registry permissions." in your essay I am sure are of high technical value but do not mean a thing to a simple user wanting to use MMW.

Could you please produce a write-up in plain methodical English step-by-step telling me and my fellow-forum-members how-to eliminate this COM ELEVATOR? (Regardless who's at fault - MS or MMW - make it go away)

Thank you,
Maria
Erwin Hanzl

Post by Erwin Hanzl »

Hello Maria,
from Windows 8, this protection mechanism has been integrated by Microsoft and is designed in four-stage.
You can change this protection setting: In your operating system, select "All Settings" and follow the information of my pictures.
I use level 2 and Windows brings this hint when I change the language in MM, for example.
Level 3 or 4 I would NEVER use for security reasons.

Hallo Maria,
ab Windows Version 8 wurde dieser Schutzmechanismus von Microsoft integriert und ist in vier Stufen konzipiert.
Sie können diese Schutzeinstellung ändern: Wählen Sie in Ihrem Betriebssystem "Alle Einstellungen" aus und folgen Sie den Informationen meiner Bilder.
Ich verwende Ebene 2 und Windows bringt diesen Hinweis, wenn ich die Sprache in MM zum Beispiel ändere.
Level 3 oder 4 würde ich aus Sicherheitsgründen NIE verwenden.

MMW 4.1.31.1919 Gold-Standardinstallation
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you Erwin. That is exactly what I was talking about. MMW do not have influence over COM elevation Prompt and what Windows think that violates access rights/permissions, except maybe when you use MMW as Portable that do not access sensitive resources.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts