Ogg Sync: Tag Updates Corrupt Files [#15843]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

cokehearth

Ogg Sync: Tag Updates Corrupt Files [#15843]

Post by cokehearth »

Hi there,

A curious thing. I have a set up where my files (all MP3s) are set up to be synced to a drive (via USBMass1.dll) and are autoconverted to OGG files (preset 2.0) [the original MP3s in MMW, the oggs on the drive].

Works beautifully for the most part, great quality sound and low storage space.

HOWEVER, if the tags are updated in MMW and I select Auto-Sync, often (but not always) these files end up getting corrupted. The once playable OGG files end up being unplayable.

The strange thing is, once they are corrupted, they also seem to increase in file size to the exact same file size as the original MP3.

e.g. Madonna - Ray of Light (MP3, 8.3MB) => Madonna - Ray of Light (OGG, 2.8MB). Plays fine.

I then update a tag on the original MP3, and then Auto-Sync my drive.

The OGG file on the drive then becomes unplayable and rather than being 2.8MB, is suddenly the same size of the MP3 - 8.3MB.

I have noticed during sync that a lot of the times, Mediamonkey also seems to be updating Artwork - it really shouldn't be - as I have it set to remove the artwork if over 1KB and to remove it from tags (but to sync it to folder.jpg instead).

There doesn't seem to be an error during sync, it's just that during the 'update' process, these files become corrupted. Any new files sync fine.

Any help or suggestions here would be most appreciated.

Cokehearth.
Primarily using: MM4 (latest update) Gold on Windows 11 (32GB RAM);
Samsung A54G 128GB/1TB MicroSD.

Library: 1875GB (254680+) files, on a Network Drive (Windows)
cokehearth

Re: Ogg Sync: Tag Updates Corrupt Files

Post by cokehearth »

Uncorrupted ogg details:

Details of ogg that has been corrupted (but once worked fine):

Metadata is missing from both the corrupted files too.

Don't know if this helps or not.

cokehearth

Post by cokehearth »

I should also add - to the best of my knowledge - if I manually sync those files (right click > synchronise to device) - it doesn't update the tags, but does a brand new conversion (overwriting the previous) - and this creates files that work fine.

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Can you please send me DL link in PM for one or two files (all in original and corrupted format) so that I can analyze?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Thank you for download links and as I suspected, Those OGG files that can't be played Contain ID3 Tag which is illegal for OGG files.

Please Note that MMW do not contain Code that would write ID3 Tag in OGG files, are you sure that no other app tagged/opened your files?

One thing puzzles me. You are saying that you sync files and your original files became different like it was synced other way around?

Another thing, you are saying that If you update Tags on original MP3 and sync to Drive it gets saved on drive without conversation?

Finally, I wonder why are you using "d_USBMass1.dll" plugin which is outdated and removed from MMW installation because it causes conflicts with other plugins and As you use Windows 10 any Removable drive can be used as sync device by Using WMDM plugin (d_USBMass1.dll must be deleted from plugins folder)?
Best regards,
Peke
cokehearth

Post by cokehearth »

Peke wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:47 pm Hi,
Thank you for download links and as I suspected, Those OGG files that can't be played Contain ID3 Tag which is illegal for OGG files.

Please Note that MMW do not contain Code that would write ID3 Tag in OGG files, are you sure that no other app tagged/opened your files?

One thing puzzles me. You are saying that you sync files and your original files became different like it was synced other way around?

Another thing, you are saying that If you update Tags on original MP3 and sync to Drive it gets saved on drive without conversation?

Finally, I wonder why are you using "d_USBMass1.dll" plugin which is outdated and removed from MMW installation because it causes conflicts with other plugins and As you use Windows 10 any Removable drive can be used as sync device by Using WMDM plugin (d_USBMass1.dll must be deleted from plugins folder)?
OK, here's the system I have in place. It may sound a little confusing, but it was the only way to get what I wanted. As I recall, I had to use USBMass1.dll because the WMDM plugin didn't do something - what it was, I can't remember right now. Originally it was to use "Sync Back Ratings" plugin, but when I found a way around that, I switched to WMDM and there was issues.

I have two instances of Mediamonkey; one standard, one portable. The standard has my MP3/FLAC collection. The portable contains copies of all those files in OGG. So I have two identical libraries, one in MP3/FLAC, one in OGG. The reason for this was that I wanted ogg copies on my phone, and far too often there was problems with converting all the files from MP3 to OGG for my phone through Wifi sync; if the library on my phone corrupted or got messed up, it was simply far too big a headache to wait for all the files to convert again (I have a library of about 150,000 MP3s) - so I just went with having copies of OGG files on a separate Mediamonkey library.

So, in Mediamonkey Standard I use "USBMass1.dll" to sync the MP3s to my W: drive; Mediamonkey Portable then scans W: drive and transfers the oggs to Mediamonkey Android (Wifi).

Any rating changes I make on Android then sync to the OGG Library, and then I use Playlists to update the MP3 files using a series of plugins.

Complicated, I know. It would be ideal if Mediamonkey could make backup copies of auto-converted files when syncing with the phone, but to my knowledge this isn't possible - so I have to use this method.

So the only thing updating the OGG files is a different Mediamonkey library, and that doesn't cause any issues. It's only ever if I use the MP3 Mediamonkey to "Sync" that some files in Mediamonkey OGG become corrupted. They DON'T become corrupted, however, if I update them by right-clicking the files and selecting "Sync to OggDrive [W:]" - ONLY on auto-sync.

Long winded explanation, and perhaps there's nothing that can be done. I have found a work-around by not using Auto-Sync at all - it would be handy if I could, but not essential - so if there's nothing that can be done, then that's that, I can't complain.

Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Huh, really complex procedure, like I pointed MMW is not capable to save/edit OGG files and add ID3 Tags. This is not first format that exhibit such issue an dI personally checked MMW code where ID3 write/read are not included in sources.

anyway I added https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=15843 for analyze, please do not delete sample files yet.
Best regards,
Peke
MiPi

Re: Ogg Sync: Tag Updates Corrupt Files [#15843]

Post by MiPi »

Correction - the given files are not OGG. They are standard MP3 files with wrong extension (OGG). Just rename them to .mp3 and they will work like a charm.