DSD/DSF - Not playback but tag & synch [#11184]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

eriksquires

DSD/DSF - Not playback but tag & synch [#11184]

Post by eriksquires »

I get that adding DSD playback is tough and rarely used, but I wish MM could synch my DSD/DSF files to my portable which CAN play it back.

Of course, also ideal if it could convert to PCM if needed. Right now I'd just be happy if it could see the files, manage the tags and allow me to synch them to my Fiio portable.

I have a couple of really great albums in DSD only on my disk. I have to either manually drag and drop them or manually convert them to FLAC before MM will touch them.

Best,

E
Peke

Re: DSD/DSF - Not playback but tag & synch

Post by Peke »

It is already on our to do list as https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11184
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
yarguy

Re: DSD/DSF - Not playback but tag & synch [#11184]

Post by yarguy »

The link in Peke's post seems to be for Ventis people only as it requires a login. In any case, Ventis has been developing version 5 of MM for some time and I see no evidence there that it will play DSD files. Instead I see a great deal of effort being put into adding Google Play's MP3 capabilities (a step back in audio standards) and a lot of extraneous, time and resource wasting graphics (artists, composers, etc.) Threads wondering about MM and DSD go back at least 7 or 8 years and several of MM's competitors have had DSD capabilities for a number of years. One would have thought that if Ventis wanted to be taken seriously as a next generation music player, DSD would have been high on the list of steps forward.
rusty

Post by rusty »

Hi,

I've updated https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11184 so that it's public.

-Rusty
MMuser78

Post by MMuser78 »

yarguy wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 10:09 pmThreads wondering about MM and DSD go back at least 7 or 8 years and several of MM's competitors have had DSD capabilities for a number of years. One would have thought that if Ventis wanted to be taken seriously as a next generation music player, DSD would have been high on the list of steps forward.
To me, DSD support is basically the only big thing I really miss in MediaMonkey.
rusty wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:59 amI've updated https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11184 so that it's public.
Many thanks. Good to see that priority level is set to "urgent". Will it be included into the roadmap for MM5?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

Media Monkey 5 is well into a beta phase and I haven't seen any signs of DSD support. In fact, things seem to be going the opposite way with a lot of time being spent on integrating MM with Google Play's MP3 operation.
MMuser78

Post by MMuser78 »

yarguy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 am Media Monkey 5 is well into a beta phase and I haven't seen any signs of DSD support. In fact, things seem to be going the opposite way
:(
yarguy wrote: Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:53 ama lot of time being spent on integrating MM with Google Play's MP3 operation.
What exactly does that mean: One will be able to buy mp3's from Googles Play Store via MediaMonkey?
yarguy

Post by yarguy »

I don't use Google Play but it appears that the effort at MM5 is to have MM play music that has been uploaded to Google Play's cloud without downloading it to a local disc. My understanding is that Google Play changes all files to MP3 no matter what the source format. I assume MM5 will also play all the music that is available on Google Play that the user has not uploaded (that's in MP3 too) as long as the user has a subscription.
MMuser78

Post by MMuser78 »

Many thanks for the information. As I don't use Google as well, this is not relevant at all for me :(