Trailing line break in comments [#14599]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Scott

Trailing line break in comments [#14599]

Post by Scott »

Sorry if this is covered elsewhere, I did search the forum as best I could first.

At some point in the last few releases, MMW's behavior started changing in the Comments field. Suddenly, any trailing line breaks have vanished. Or if they've vanished, the edit box has started ignoring them. To reproduce: edit a track, enter text in the comments field, hit return after the last bit of text. Verify you can position your cursor at the start of the first empty line. Save, edit the track again, and try to position your cursor at the start of the first empty line - you can't.

I don't know if that last CR/LF is getting trimmed as whitespace on save, or if the edit box is simply ignoring it. I don't really think it's a trim in action, because the behavior is universal - they behave as gone from tracks I haven't edited in years.

This isn't the end of the world, obviously, but it is annoying - if I want to add text to the comment, I can't simply click anywhere on the area past the text and get positioned on the next line ready to go. I have to click very carefully on the exact end of the last line, then hit End to get there when I inevitably miss. Done over and over again and it's enough trouble for me to get frustrated.

More importantly, it's effectively changing my data against my will. I put those trailing carriage returns on 80,000+ tracks for a reason, and they shouldn't be removed/suppressed against my will. Give me back my CR/LFs! ;)

I didn't see anything about this in the release notes, though I could have missed it, so I think it's a bug. If it's not a bug and rather an intentional "feature," is there an option to disable it?
Peke

Re: Trailing line break in comments

Post by Peke »

Not sure I follow, but I see CRLF in My comments.

Can you please put it in exact steps and if possible record small video, along with file samples containing tags before edit and after edit (Send me DL Links in PM)?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Scott

Post by Scott »

I didn't say there are no CRLFs in comments, I said there are no trailing CRLFs in comments. That is, you can't have a blank line(s) after all the text.

To reproduce:
1) edit a track
2) enter text in the comments field
3) hit return after the last bit of text.
4) verify you can position your cursor at the start of the last empty line (after all the text).
5) save
6) edit the track again
7) try to position your cursor at the start of the first empty line (after all the text).

If you now have a cursor sitting at an empty line after all the text, it didn't reproduce.
If there is no empty line after all the text, there should have been - you reproduced it.

Edit: I forgot to say, I don't know how to create a video. Let me know if the steps above aren't clear enough and I can look into it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, both trailing Carriage Returns and Spaces are trimmed from the Comments field (probably others too). This was done with: https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14599
Scott

Post by Scott »

Aha! Yes, that's it. Thanks Lowlander.

It looks like a trim was added, mainly to prevent problems with filenames. It's not clear why the fix was extended to metadata, though it makes sense for fields that aren't as freeform as Comments. Do you know if the INI option was implemented, and if so what the option is?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

ini switch isn't further discussed, so I assume not.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Just of curiosity why you need empty line in the end of comment?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Hi, OK, based on the feedback re title and comment it makes sense to not trim CR+LF and spaces for these fields. And trim them only for album, artist and genre for the reasons described by me at https://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view ... 599#c49581 .

This will be fixed in 4.1.21.1870 and 5.0.0.2112
Scott

Post by Scott »

Excellent, thank you Ludek!

Peke, see OP.
Scott

Post by Scott »

Confirmed in 4.1.21.1870, thanks again!