M4A not playing on iPod after sync with conversion

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

StriderHiryu

M4A not playing on iPod after sync with conversion

Post by StriderHiryu »

m4a songs will not play on my iPod 160gb. They play within mediamonkey correctly. I have the conversion settings to convert any incompatible audio into mp3 audio. The iPod sees the file and displays the song info and cover graphic for about 2 seconds but then skips to the next song.

MediaMonkey 4.1.9.1764
Windows 8.1
6gb RAM, 1TB HD
IPod model MC297LL 160gb
VERSION 2.0.5 PC
Lowlander

Re: M4A not playing on iPod after sync with conversion

Post by Lowlander »

Are they synced as M4A files to the iPod or as MP3 (converted) files?
StriderHiryu

Post by StriderHiryu »

Lowlander wrote:Are they synced as M4A files to the iPod or as MP3 (converted) files?
They are stored on the PC as m4a files. Initially I left the conversion settings in MM untouched - so the only parameter in there was the automatic conversion of incompatible file types. With this configuration, I noticed that certain file types didn't play on the iPod although their details did temporarily flash on the iPod. Then I specifically added conversions to MP3 if the file types were M4A or FLAC. In the order of priority under conversion settings, FLAC and M4A were below "incompatible file types" on the list. To answer your question, on the iPod the files I'm having issues with are stored as two copies a piece on the iPod - one as M4A and one as MP3. I am not sure which ones the iPod is not actually playing since it doesn't show file extensions in the iPod's GUI.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Were the M4A files purchased from Apple (in which case they may have DRM copyright protection)?
StriderHiryu

Post by StriderHiryu »

Lowlander wrote:Were the M4A files purchased from Apple (in which case they may have DRM copyright protection)?
Negative. They are from Youtube. I use YouTube Video and Audio Downloader 0.4.6. It demuxes the MP4 file into a video file and an M4A. VLC doesn't show it as having DRM and VLC plays it just fine.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Then it would be good to know if the MP3 converted or M4A original copy on the iPod fails. If it's the latter the problem likely is that the iPod doesn't support it.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Often, Demuxed files do not contain correct header files and are very specific. VLC is made to support headerless files and usually it is the only app that can play them.

If you can find file that is not playable in MMW nor playable on iPod after MMW correctly play both original and converted file please attach it to your next reply in Ticket you opened.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
StriderHiryu

Post by StriderHiryu »

Peke wrote:Often, Demuxed files do not contain correct header files and are very specific. VLC is made to support headerless files and usually it is the only app that can play them.

If you can find file that is not playable in MMW nor playable on iPod after MMW correctly play both original and converted file please attach it to your next reply in Ticket you opened.
I suppose I could have a new workflow where I convert any M4A files to FLAC, then allow MM to sync to the iPod by converting FLAC to 320KB/S Mp3's.

Incidentally, how come MM didn't automatically convert FLAC files to something the iPod could play? I had to add a conversion rule that specifically converts FLAC to MP3. The "Incompatible" rule didn't catch FLAC files.

Post by Guest »

The "Incompatible" rule didn't catch FLAC files.
mediamonkey is pretty basic - you need to cover all the angles if you're gonna use it.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Incompatible uses what is set in Supported Formats. So if FLAC is set in Supported Formats it won't be converted with the Incompatible rule.