iTunes can't read MM's comment frame

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

neale

iTunes can't read MM's comment frame

Post by neale »

In version 2.5.1.934 when I add comments to tracks they are given a language code of xxx which makes the comments invisible to iTunes. iTunes seems to like comments with language set to eng but not xxx.

Post by Guest »

I'll second that. I need the comments to be compatible as well.
Thanks.
sonicendeavor

Post by sonicendeavor »

Any update on this issue of the language code being set to xxx on the comments tag?
Or if not, is there a batch utility to set these?
Thanks.
Bill
jiri

Post by jiri »

Actually 'XXX' is specified in ID3v2 as an identifier when language isn't known. Anyway, adding this issue to our to-do list in order to decide whether it makes sense to make this more compatible.

Jiri
Lazlo Nibble

revisiting

Post by Lazlo Nibble »

Just to bring this up again -- I ran into the same issue tonight. While "XXX" is valid in ID3v2.4.0, it's not strictly correct because the user presumably does know the language they are using in their comments, there's just no way to specify it directly. I'd like to suggest that unless/until it makes sense to add a "comment language" setting to the UI (which I admit is a little tweaky, even for me), MediaMonkey could instead write the code for the language that the interface is currently displaying in.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which might be a bad idea for many. I don't know how users store their comments, but I think that it's save to assume that most users have songs in more than one language.
Last edited by Lowlander on Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lazlo Nibble

Post by Lazlo Nibble »

Lowlander wrote:Which might be a bad idea for many. I don't how users store their comments, but I think that it's save to assume that most users have songs in more than one language.
Granted. I think far fewer have comments in more than one language, though.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Even more important is that many people use software in English (especially in IT) but use their local language for everything else.

The xxx is the best implementation until the language field get's added. No data xxx is better than incorrect data.

Re: iTunes can't read MM's comment frame

Post by Guest »

bump...

Is this every going to be resolved? I still lose all comments when moving files to iTunes.
Funkee911

Re: iTunes can't read MM's comment frame

Post by Funkee911 »

The comments are an important metadata field for anyone adding licensing information or contact info, and I think it's imperative that comments are visible in all other programs, including iTunes. While iTunes is actually the culprit here not being able to read language "XXX", MM should be the standard have an option to set the language so that compatibility will not be an issue. Please help us fix this!