Exxxxtremely slow CD ripping

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

pvoltti

Exxxxtremely slow CD ripping

Post by pvoltti »

I just updated to MM 4.1.3. Unfortunately CD ripping became very, very slow. It takes 30-45 mins to rip a CD to my NAS over the WLAN. Previously it has taken 5-10 mins at max. Also my whole computer (network browding, disk access) seems to me slower.

I have Win7, with 500 GB free disk space, 6 GB of RAM.

Any fixes for this?
Lowlander

Re: Exxxxtremely slow CD ripping

Post by Lowlander »

Then maybe it's the computer? Run File > Maintain Library in MediaMonkey.
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

clean the registry of the computer a messed up one will slow it down, and win 7 people started to ignore doing the cleaning because it was a fast cpu. but it will get messed up enough to slow it down if it has never been cleaned and the hd has never been defragmented. 8)

roving cowboy / keith hall / monkey hi fi
pvoltti

Post by pvoltti »

Looks like library + registry cleaning solved the problem. Thanks for the help!
medpedhead

Post by medpedhead »

I'm also having problems ripping CDs. I can get between 1 and 4 tracks, which takes about 30-45 minutes!, before MediaMonkey hangs (becomes opaque and unresponsive) and finally heralds a blue screen of death.

I'm running WIndows Vista Home Premium Service Pack 2 (all patches up to date as of today). I've got 4GB Ram and plenty of Hard Disk space.
Everything else is running fine - the problem only occurs when I try to rip a CD in MediaMonkey.
I reinstalled MediaMonkey to the latest version (downloaded today) and, based on the history of this post, have cleaned up the registry (used Norton) and ran Maintain Library, but the issue remains.
The CD is fine (although The Vamps aren't my taste - is the machine showing signs of intelligence??) and ripped without trouble in iTunes (blrrrggh!).
I'm ripping to an uncompressed FLAC format, writing to a network attached drive.
I've been a MediaMonkey user for at least 18 months (probably more), and have had no issues ripping to uncompressed FLAC on the same computer to the same drive before today.

Any ideas what might be causing the problem?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Does it happen with other CDs as well?
medpedhead

Post by medpedhead »

Errr... :oops: .... thankfully (or not, as this would have been an easy end to the problem) my stupidity at not testing this most basic of scenarios hasn't changed the situation. It seems to get off to a flying start ripping the the first 1 or 2 tracks and then grinds to a complete halt... it's as if some swap space has been maxed and although its doing its best to move things around to free up that little bit extra it eventally hits the buffer and bails out.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

I've noticed this also here on win xp but I'm also noticing that the anti virus program is running too when that happens. Could be the same on your newer systems. If you have multiple cores try using mm on one and an v on the other. It seems to be working for me like that. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It can be settings like Secure Rip which are slower.
medpedhead

Post by medpedhead »

Not sure about multi-core as a cause rovingcowboy - CPU (and memory) utilisation is barely registering. Whatever is going on doesn't appear to be CPU or memory intensive. How would I limit MM to one core and Norton to the other?

I'm running in Standard not Secure mode when ripping Lowlander. Any other suggestions?
medpedhead

Post by medpedhead »

Spent some time trawling the known bugs list and found this; http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=6193.

Although it doesn't reference ripping, it does seem to share the same characteristics. Should I notify, or is this still potentially an unrelated issue?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Rip settings, disc condition or hardware (hardware or firmware for hardware) are the 3 likely conditions. I've had rips going for nearly a day due to a bad disc (damage) in EAC.
pvoltti

Post by pvoltti »

I still have the problem. This initially started to occur after the last two MM updates. Before that I've used MM over WLAN without any issues.

Now, ripping over WLAN is a pain. Actually, the MM performance is not only slowing down, but the performance of the whole computer becomes really bad. Examples: during ripping over WLAN, opening a simple web page with a browser can take 5 minutes. Refreshing a library structure in a File Manager takes 30 secs. My problem symptoms are exactly the same what medpedhead has. Ripping starts fine, but then after minute everything becomes slow. When I plug in the Ethernet cable, MM performance becomes normal again. When I close the MM, computer performance is normal.

It is evident that when MM uses WLAN, it somehow breaks the computer performance. It is not visible in the Task Manager, where memory allocations and disc access are small, even the computer is jammed. I think MM should fix this bug. I'm happy to send any memory dumps/performance data for MM if I get more detailed instructions for that.

br.
P.V
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can always capture a rip in a debug log (step 4b) and send the log to support: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=69
medpedhead

Post by medpedhead »

Thank you LowLander. I have now managed to trace the problem - wifi. So you were correct, not MM but a hardware/driver/os issue.

I hooked up an ethernet link from the pc to the NAS and ripping went without a hitch.

Not sure why this issue wasn't replicated when doing the same in iTunes - something for me to figure out tomorrow.