MM v4.1.1692: does not start into tray

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

MM user

MM v4.1.1692: does not start into tray

Post by MM user »

Since version 4.1.1692, MediaMonkey does not start into tray anymore.

What does that mean?

Well, if you close MM when it's minimized into tray the tray icon won't show up again when you start MM the next time. So you can't access the program in any way. The process is there in the task manager, but nowhere to be seen in the tray or task bar.

The only way to get "access" to the program is to start it once more (i.e. a second time without killing the first process), so the program would be maximized "from the invisible tray".

Apart from being really annoying it's now an additional bug regarding the tray icon behaviour - the existing ones from previous version still not being fixed and therefor still being there.

For the time being, I think I'll go back to the previous version - one less tray icon bug there.

Mike.
MM user

Re: MM v4.1.1692: does not start into tray

Post by MM user »

Uuups, forgot about my system details:

Win7, 64bit, Aero disabled, window etc. design: Windows classic.

Sorry about that.

Mike
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

MM 4.1.0.1692
Windows 8 64 bit

1. Open MM.
2. Options > General > Close to tray (checked)
3. Hit red "X" at top right of screen
4. Right-click MM tray icon > Exit
5. Open MM again, it opens into full screen

So I don't see how to reproduce the problem?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MM user

Post by MM user »

Well, I haven't tried it, fist of all, because that's not what I want or ment, and secondly: I already switched back.

1. I DON'T want it to "close into tray"! - Only "minimize to tray".
2. I DON'T want the program to start into fullscreen when I closed it _from_ tray (On my system the tray icon is - deliberately - only shown when minimized (to tray)). - If I close the program when it's in fullscreen, it should start into fullscreen. If it's minimized to tray and I close it from there, it should start into tray. It's that simple.

But: I just remembered that with previous versions I had to edit the ini-file by hand to get the wanted "tray-behavior" because the program wouldn't write any tray-related changes made via the options menu (correctly or at all, I don't recall) into the ini-file. So maybe I do have to re-test on this one...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

There is no "Minimize to tray" setting that I can see. Please explain.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

I can reproduce: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=11858

Minimize to tray is available on right click on Titlebar context menu on Windows XP, Windows 8 doesn't have it and requires use of Close to Tray.
MM user

Post by MM user »

Ok, I just re-tested MM and the result is as I suspected: MM v4.1.1692 has an aditional problem with the tray icon.

For the last several versions MM wasn't able to let the user minimize the program into tray via the GUI options. Only "minmize to task bar" and "minimize into mini-player" are available options. Both are not what I want.

So, in order to get the program to minimize into tray one has to manually edit the ini-file as follows:

ShowTrayIcon=0
MinimizeToTray=1
CloseToTray=0

If "ShowTrayIcon" is activated, the tray icon is shown all the time and when minimized the program also "stays in the task bar".

So, in regard to this behavior the program hasn't changed. But it additionally has now the problem I described in my first and third post - regarding "starting into tray".
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You're lucky, you we're able to get the window back. I haven't been able since testing this.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Success, StartJustOneInstance=1 was the trick.
patch

Post by patch »

MM user wrote:Since version 4.1.1692, MediaMonkey does not start into tray anymore.
Same problem here
I like to use MediaMonkey minimised to MicroPlayer ie windows tray icon.

With the current version 4.1.0.1691 it has the following problems for me
1) When I start Media monkey it has no user interface but runs only in the background. Starting it again seams to force a maximised view after which it appears to run as expected.
2) The MicroPlayer tray icon customisation is not remembered as it windows appears to behave as if it is a different applications so creates a new customisation entry set to the default ("Show only notification", not "Show icon and notification" as desired)

Edit
To reproduce the problem:
Tools -> Options -> General -> Minimisation settings : check "Minimize to MicroPlayer",
I also have also checked "Allow one instance of MediaMonkey", "Show splash screen at startup" but not "Always show tray icon" or "Close to tray" but I'm not sure it these make any difference.
Click OK to close the Option dialogue box.
Click the Minimize box (top right corner) to minimize to tray icon
Right click on the tray icon, and select exit to close MediaMonkey
Open MediaMonkey again -> Splash screen shows for less than a second, Media monkey is process is shown in "Windows Task Manager" but no tray icon or Application. ie the bug as MediaMonkey is running but has no user access.
Open MediaMonkey again -> Application window opens, which can then be minimized to tray icon ie functions correctly.

btw, this is readily reproducible on the Windows 7 32 bit and 64 bit computers I have.
Last edited by patch on Sat Feb 15, 2014 7:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MM user

Post by MM user »

2) The micro player task bar customisation is not remembered as it windows appears to behave as if it is a different applications so creates a new customisation entry set to the default ("Show only notification", not "Show icon and notification" as desired)

This problem is an "old" one, but still hasn't been fixed to date:

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =tray+icon

Actually, I think (as I've written in that thread) the problem is that MM reports not only it's name but also the current track playing to the notification area, therefor it's nothing but logically for windows to assume it's a new/another application. That's why you have to set the wanted behavior for EVERY Song you'll ever play - at least one time!
Very annoying. But no one seems to care.... the mentioned thread is over 2 years old...

Post by GUEST »

I have the same problem and it started since the update to the 1692 build.
SKDJ

Post by SKDJ »

Very strange problem. I had the same problem a couple of years ago i remember but it didn't return. I updated to the mentioned version to solve this problem. (?) But of course I didn't. I then remembered something to do with the allow just one instance checkbox. Nice but since the interface didn't open, how to get into the checkbox. So loging in as a different user proved it was a user problem not a system problem. :o

I then moved the .ini file to my desktop so MM would make a default start again. And it did. The interface was back. I've reset all my wanted settings and a couple of days later after using MM succesfully several times, one day, the interface was gone again. (?) Now in the 'new' version. Stubbornly I kept pressing the MM button because I do allow more then one instance (why is the option there?) and hey:
1. There was an update available concerning Phone syncing .dll's.
2. The players interface returned through a system tray icon that suddenly appeared.
Now it first did that in the second instance but later that evening it would happen in the fourth of fifth instance (I did not keep exact track). Another strange thing was that there would first be one system tray icon but a little while later, all opened instance icons reappeared.

Next day the interface didn't start quickly enough IMHO and I don't like buggy behavior so I upgraded to the minor update 4.1.1.1703 by moving the corrupt .ini from my user folder (Roaming) again.

For purpose of being thorough, I decided to use the moved .ini again by renaming the new to .iniNEW and replacing it with the one on my desktop. Well: miracle: in this new version 4.1.1. the old .ini (my old settings) opened Mediamonkey to the system tray! Rightclicking and restoring it opened the full interface! And after closing it from file --> close, it opened into the full interface again!

So if there is a problem maybe changing the settings in the .ini file will work. The way Lowlander mentions before me.
As for me "ShowTrayIcon=0" would be most important to be able to reset the startup behaviour. Removing the .ini from your user\roaming folder also works. But I would really like to know what 'user behavior' is the cause of this glitch! Cause i know i am! :lol:

I think an option: "NeverStartMinimized=1" would solve the problem for ever.
SKDJ

Post by SKDJ »

I forgot to mention:
System:
XW8600 dual Xeon
8GB Win7 x64

Conflicting software:
'Rocketdock' OSX Like dock (which causes it to always start minimized)

MM settings (unchanged during testing):
Splashscreen: Off
One instance: unchecked
Show system tray icon: unchecked
Minimize to micro player
Close to system tray: unchecked
Skin plugin: ND3_red
MM user

Post by MM user »

First I have to mention, that I made a little mistake regarding the thread title. I forgot a "0" in the version number. The number should be: v4.1.0.1692.

That being said I can report that the current new version (v4.1.1.1703) seems to fix that problem (that I described as new in my thread opening post). At least for me using the portable "installation" option.