MM Taskbar Icon Won't Leave Primary Monitor

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

debio

MM Taskbar Icon Won't Leave Primary Monitor

Post by debio »

Setup is Win8, NVidia Geforce 560 Ti, two monitors (primary 1920x1080, secondary 1280x1024, secondary is right of primary). No third party multi-monitor management programs.

One of the new features in Win8 is that I can set my taskbar to only show applications on its monitor (right click on taskbar -> Properties -> "Show taskbar buttons on: Taskbar where window is open") (note that this does not affect the system tray). Essentially, my primary and secondary monitors have separate taskbars, and an application only appears on the taskbar for the monitor it's currently placed on.
(EDIT: When this is turned on, taskbar icons also switch monitors with their respective windows.)
When I move MM to my secondary monitor, its taskbar icon doesn't move - it stays on the primary monitor. Occurs with both skinned and non-skinned, and both the stable release and build 1617.

Let me know if a screenshot or video would make this clearer.
Last edited by debio on Sun Jan 13, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rovingcowboy

Re: MM Taskbar Icon Won't Leave Primary Monitor

Post by rovingcowboy »

Windows 8 is controlling where the icon is at and since you opened it on monitor 1 and moved programs shell to monitor 2 windows is keeping its icon on the monitor 1. If you open it on 2 does the icon show up on 1 when you move from 2 to 1?

And so do other programs move tray icons from 1 to 2 ?
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
debio

Post by debio »

rovingcowboy wrote:Windows 8 is controlling where the icon is at and since you opened it on monitor 1 and moved programs shell to monitor 2 windows is keeping its icon on the monitor 1. If you open it on 2 does the icon show up on 1 when you move from 2 to 1?
Not sure what you mean. If I launch MediaMonkey.exe from an explorer window on monitor 2, MM still appears on monitor 1.
rovingcowboy wrote:And so do other programs move tray icons from 1 to 2 ?
Yes. If I open an application and drag it from monitor to monitor, the taskbar icon switches monitors with it.
Note that I'm talking about taskbar icons, not tray icons. There is only one system tray, and it's on the primary monitor. No problems there.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

debio

Post by debio »

This bug is tremendously irritating. Would it help if I made a video showing the behavior?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

debio wrote:This bug is tremendously irritating. Would it help if I made a video showing the behavior?
Nope, the issue is already reported as per the above link.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
paulmedia

Post by paulmedia »

Hi @Lowlander and @nohitter151, I'm having the same issue in version 4.13.1801. It's been three years on this bug. Any update?
Thanks
Peke

Post by Peke »

I'm Unable to replicate issue on Windows 10, When MMW Window is on Second monitor TaskBar icon also goes thare.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
kingpin003

Post by kingpin003 »

Currently on Win10 and the taskbar icon does not follow from monitor 1 to 2.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Are you sure that you enabled all desktop icons show on all desktops?
Best regards,
Peke
pstiefel

Post by pstiefel »

Hi!
I am experiencing the exact same problem. It has been there for years and it is still in build 4.1.13.1801.
It might be a minor issue, but it is getting really annoying over time.
Please fix this bug!

Windows 8.1 PC.
I've got a 3 monitor setup here.
I'm 100% sure the Taskbar option "Show taskbar buttons on: ...where window is open" is active.
I usually put the MediaMonkey window on my third monitor.
The taskbar button stays on monitor 1 most of the time. It sometimes (rarely) moves to monitor 2, but it never shows on monitor 3 where it should be.
Absolutely all other programs' taskbar buttons are always displayed on the correct monitor. It is only MediaMonkey that's having this issue.

If you need any further info, I'll be happy to assist you.

@peke:
Are you sure that you enabled all desktop icons show on all desktops?
I do not want the taskbar button to show on all monitors. It should be only on the monitor where the window is.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Unfortunately MMW do not control that it is system related and how MMW window is detected.

Try non skinned version of MMW.
Best regards,
Peke
pstiefel

Post by pstiefel »

Peke wrote:Try non skinned version of MMW.
The problem exists with the non-skinned version as well. - But it is not as bad.
If I move MMW to another monitor, the taskbar buttons still does not move to the other monitor. Only if I minimize/maximize MMW once on the new monitor, the taskbar button moves to the correct monitor.
This is much better than with the skinned version, but non-skinned looks not as good.
pstiefel

Post by pstiefel »

pstiefel wrote:The problem exists with the non-skinned version as well. - But it is not as bad.
This issue continues to happen with the Non-Skinned-Version pretty frequently (multiple times per day). It would be great if you could fix this issue in a future version of MM.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
This should be addressed and already fixed in MM5.
Best regards,
Peke