Windows Explorer stops working and restarts

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

xobxela

Post by xobxela »

For approximately the last week, I sometimes get a message coming up saying that Windows Explorer has stopped working and will restart and it only occurs when I click on the mediamonkey application. It's really not a huge issue as it takes about 10 seconds max for Windows explorer to restart and then everything is cool again.

I just don't know where to start with this one in terms of troubleshooting, so any help would be appreciated to point me in the right direction.
rovingcowboy

Re: Windows Explorer stops working and restarts

Post by rovingcowboy »

its a windows error.
there are a few tweaking programs to handle this.
find one for your system,
then look for the tweak to start windows explorer or windows desktop or windows internet explorer in seperate instances.
that should stop the crashing caused by monkey needing more cpu and or ram then he use too.

you might also want to clean your prefetch file and your page file, and also defragment your hd. music playing really is tough on the hd's fragmenting them like crazy when played for two hours not so bad on small librarys but on huge ones?
i defragment my jukebox daily but it has 5 hard drives of songs its needing it.
:D

try that stuff and let us know if it fixed it, i believe it will. 8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
xobxela

Post by xobxela »

Sorry for not being able to get back on to reply until now. Since I posted in here I have seen no more instances and yet it had been happening frequently last week. I'll look into what you suggest in any case as it sounds like very helpful advice. Thanks!
gerrydog

Post by gerrydog »

A windows error huh so before I installed MM it never happened so which comes first OS or apps.
Apps need to be made compatible for the OS not the other way.
That said its more complicated then just that.
But apps need to run on the OS and in this case no MM no Explorer restart.
granville

Post by granville »

Agreed, it isn't Windows.

I've just updated to version 4.1.6 and wish I hadn't. Now, when I launch MediaMonkey, the taskbar icons refresh (as if redrawing, blinking, flickering - whatever you will). It's always the MM icon first, followed by the other icons in the taskbar. MM is the only program that does this. I found that switching to a non-skinned version of MM stopped the MM taskbar icon 'blinking', but not the others.

Windows 8.1 (fully updated)
IE 11 (fully updated)
i5 4460
Intel HD 4600 graphics
System files: SSD
Media Files: HDD

I don't normally report these things as they just seem to be ignored, but this one is annoying. I keep looking at the MediaMonkey Windows 7 Controller that I see in the file associations and I wonder...
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You could try to disable re-associate in Tools > Options > OS Integration in MediaMonkey.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

The very subject title says it's a windows issue. Which it is do to the fact windows explorer is the one stopping. Just because you click on the mm icon doesn't mean mm is the cause of the issue. Answer the following
1 you ever clean your registry.
2 you ever defrag your hds.
3 you on win 7 ever go into the scheduler and adjust the settings for ms defrag or for Windows backup to run when your not using the computer.
4 you ever clean the junk files out with ccleaner or jet clean.
5 you ever defrag the registry.
6 you ever turn off unneeded background programs.

I would do that before I complain about a software program.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Unless you know for sure what the problem is, saying it's Mediamonkey assumes OSs are perfect.
Is Mediamonkey the cause itself or is there already a problem in that specific computing environment
where Mediamonkey is the only program, or one of a few programs or computing events (others possibly rarely used or executed)
that aggravate it?

To add to Roving Cowboy's suggestions, if you are on Win7 or higher try:

Shut down MM > Disable Aero for a while (if enabled) > reboot >
open MM > observe

I had the explorer crash/resart problem when using a few programs at various times (some more consistent than others),
regardless of modern hardware/graphics card, and it worked for me. Just a suggestion.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜