media monkey access violation at address blah after upgrade

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

urlwolf

media monkey access violation at address blah after upgrade

Post by urlwolf »

Ok, I got problems with the upgrade to 3.1.1.
The installer could not overwrite MMhelper.dll.
I renamed it to .foo, and the installer completed.
However, no player is initalized. When I doubleclick a song, it greets me with "media monkey access violation at address blah".

Usually, when a tool is so bad that the upgrade (made by the same programmers!) borkes it for good, I just uninstall it, but I'm too attached to MM...

Using windows server 2008 in case it's the problem.
Peke

Re: media monkey access violation at address blah after upgrade

Post by Peke »

Restart Windows, Start MediaMonkey installation with Compatibility settings of Windows XP SP2/SP3 and it should install without problems.

Note: Do not start MM before installer
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

I did and it worked, thanks.
Unfortunately, I rebooted again and again it says "player initialization problem".

Guys, the installer is seriously borked. It makes and otherwise outstanding program look bad. Very bad. "15-yo in a bedroom copying code from a book"-bad.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

addition: it only starts when I reinstall and check "launch MM when pressing finish".
If I try to launch it by double-clicking the exe, it gives me the initialization error.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

any idea of what can be going wrong here? It could be my computer only.
If everyone else is happy with the new installer, then it could be windows server 2008 specific.
Any workaround I could use to launch MM without having to run the installer every time?
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

One more detail: MM is using an entire CPU just to play music.
I don't think it's doing anything in the background such as leveraging volume etc.
This could indicate something is wrong, not sure if it's related to a bad installation.

Nobody else has problems with the new installer? Can anyone replicate this problem on a win box that is not windows server 2008 (so we can discard this as a cause)?
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

mediamonkey uses high cpu cycles in mm 3.1 it is doing more things and checking more things.
but you also get more cycles when monkey has to pull the songs over a network it takes more to get them to the ram for him to play them. so he could be using more cpu for those reasons. one way to get him more speed is to change his priority. use a program called priority sctatic controler, i found it on majorgeeks.com this program will allow you to change the prioritys of programs and then have you set its icon in the start up folder so when you boot the computer the controler is always running and keeps the same priority setting so when the program starts its always where you want it. i use mediamonkey in realtime and i'm on a single core system. if you got dual core then he will be running the full cpu core at realtime which is a great help on large librarys.

also having more scripts running could take up cpu cycles. you might also need to get a program for ram. i got it on majorgeeks also. and it is called cleanmem it will run in the background at a set time you won't even know it is running. but it takes the ram from non running programs that load and sit there just in case you use them. and some of those can hold on to up to 20 mbs of ram, so this program takes that back and puts it in the ram pool to use for other things. it lets just enough ram for the other program to stay running incase you use it. then that other program will of course re claim the ram it needs.
but doing those will help a lot in speed and cpu cycles. just don't change any windows system prioritys they don't like that. and they let you know it. :D :roll:
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

Thanks rovingcowboy, but the two things you mention do not address the main problem: the installer fails on my system.

As it is right now, every time I want to use MM, I have to reinstall it. The installer will launch it at the end (and works), but clicking on the executable will fail to initialize the player.

Anyone else cares to propose a solution for this?
Thanks
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

urlwolf wrote:Thanks rovingcowboy, but the two things you mention do not address the main problem: the installer fails on my system.

As it is right now, every time I want to use MM, I have to reinstall it. The installer will launch it at the end (and works), but clicking on the executable will fail to initialize the player.

Anyone else cares to propose a solution for this?
Thanks
Are you sure that you don't have two installations of MM on your system? Perhaps when you install you install to a different location then where a previous installation of MM was. When you launch from installer you launch the new instance but when you click on the MM icon on the desktop it is still the shortcut to an older version of MM?
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

good hypothesis; still, I can see it installed in only one location (e:/programs32).
If everything fails, I'll try reinstalling again in another location...
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

Some more interesting info; this may have confused the installer.
I have the a MM.ini file in the same folder of the executable.
But then since I keep data and programs separated, I moved the db and config files to its own directory outside pprograms32. There, I can see another mediamonkey.ini file.

All this has been working perfectly fine for the last few versions; something new in the new installer may have screwed things.

I guess I have no option but to start from scratch. I'll wait for 24-hrs in case anyone here found the cause in the installer, and if nothing comes up, clean reinstall it is.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

also, I'd like to know if everyone is experiencing MM using an entire core all the time it's open.
I don't believe this should be the default behavior of any application. And if it is, it'd better show some indication of what it's doing (MM has those nice green progress bars; I don't see anything like that at all).
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

oh sorry about it being the wrong answer for you i thought it was something else causing it for you.
but they have said they know of the error with the installer and are trying to fix it. there is a new release
of a beta version 3.1.2 in the beta forum its the last message in the thread from rusty for 3.1 release's

try that and see if it will install for you.

if you got the gold version make sure you got a copy of your lic number just to make sure.
but in the gold version it has options to tell monkey how to use the dual cores for those of us that have them.
:)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

ok, didn't work.
Using 3.1.2 beta-debug, it goes into an infinite loop asking for a mail to report the crash.
I'm a gold user, and even so I'm considering just uninstalling MM for good.
I'll try once more reinstalling from scratch in a different dir. If this doesn't work ... well, I cannot waste my time any longer.
urlwolf

Post by urlwolf »

I also tried installed in the default location.
That seems to have fixed it.
Thanks for the help.
And devs, check that installer!
(so glad I don't have to hunt for other music player!)