Synchronize Portable Audio And Virtual CD

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

thehammer

Synchronize Portable Audio And Virtual CD

Post by thehammer »

I have created new AutoPlaylists that include Virtual CD tracks. When I synchronize these to my SD card they have an extension of .cda instead of mp3, so my player does not recognize them until I manually change the file extension.

I could swear this used to work fine before version 2.3.1.845. I searched but did not find anyone else reporting this problem, so I wasn't sure if maybe I had a database corruption issue or something odd.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
mikeryan

You're not alone

Post by mikeryan »

This worked fine with me under 2.2 syncing with a Lyra RD2820 and RD2840. I've now upgraded to 2.3 and just got an iRiver H320, and I'm getting the problem above. I tried putting ".mp3" at the end of the filter string, but MM just tacks on a ".cda".

This is a killer for syncing if you use VCD...
mikeryan

Post by mikeryan »

I should point out, the files really are mp3 - if I edit the extensions in the playlist and change the extensions of a few files on the iRiver, the playlist works fine...
Peke

Post by Peke »

This Behavior is pointed in some earlyer versions of MM, I thought that this was fixed by Jiri. Let us see if something slipped out.

Can you repeat Step by step what you have done to clearify this bug?
And can you confirm same thing as with Audio CD tracks without Virtual CD?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
thehammer

steps to reproduce

Post by thehammer »

1. Put in a CD that is in the library
2. Select some tracks and send them to the Virtual CD
3. Right click on Playlists and select New Autoplaylist
4. Click the Advanced tab on the Autoplaylist and click on Add Search Criteria
5. In the property drop-down, select Status
6. In the Condition drop-down, select "is accessible"
7. Click OK
8. Click on Add Search Criteria and add the appropriate search criteria to pick up the mp3 files that you added from the CD to the Virtual CD
9. Configure you portable audio device synchronization to synchronize the Autoplaylist you just created, then synchronize to the device
10. Look at the files on the portable audio device and note the file extension of the files that were copied from the Virtual CD. They will be .cda instead of .mp3, .ogg, or whatever format you have defined for the Virtual CD files
Peke

Post by Peke »

1. Ok This is noted!
2. Can you confirm same behavior if no Virtual CD available?
Best regards,
Peke
thehammer

Please explain what info you want

Post by thehammer »

I am not sure I understand what other information you want. What do you mean "if no Virtual CD available"? Do you want me to rip a CD, because those files as well as the Virtual CD files have the proper extension. It just happens when Virtual CD files are copied to the portable audio device.
Peke

Post by Peke »

I wanted to clearfy if same behavior you get when use Sunc directly from Audio CD without ripping.
Best regards,
Peke
thehammer

Synchronizing from CD

Post by thehammer »

Attempting to synchronize directly from a CD just puts 1 KB files on the device named Track01.cda, Track02.cda, Track03.cda, etc. No conversion of any kind, and no playable audio files.

I took a new CD, added it to the library, then synchronized from the location while the CD was in the drive. I also synchronized from the artists list and got the same results. Hope this helps.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Yes, thank you. It is more Tweak than bug but Now I understand you completly.

I'll add it so we can clear it out.
Best regards,
Peke
mikeryan

ETA?

Post by mikeryan »

Any ETA on the fix? Will there be a bugfix release of 2.3, or is this going to wait for 2.4?

This bug is a major PITA, every time I synchronize I've got to rename all the .cda files on the player to .mp3, and do a search-and-replace on all my playlists...

Thanks.
jiri

Post by jiri »

This will be fixed in the next 2.4 alpha release.

Jiri
mikeryan

Fixed!

Post by mikeryan »

Synchronization of virtual CD tracks works fine in the latest 2.4 alpha, thanks!
dominique

Post by dominique »

how can i listen to files that were sent to me with the .cda extension. everytime i try to play it nothing happens. I really need this music. Is there anyway to convert it or unlock the audio?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

.cda is the format for music CD's. I'm not aware that you can do anything with them.