Tagging APE file does NOT work correctly

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

SilverSquadron

Tagging APE file does NOT work correctly

Post by SilverSquadron »

When selecting the Winamp player instead of the default player, (because the player hangs as soon as you rate a song that plays) the following problem occurs:

create Ape file and tag them with id3v1.1 (default setting when using eac and external ape encoder)
1)
Open MM,Play the song and RATE it to 4 stars. Exit MM, open winamp, file info says that tagtype = id3v1.1.

2)
Open MM,Stop the song and RATE it to 3 start. Exit MM, open winamp, file
info says that tagtype = APE.

Conclusion, when playing with winamp player, the song that is being tagged (rated) is tagged with id3v1.1 instead of APE
jiri

Post by jiri »

First of all, what version of MM do you use, is it that last one (2.2.2)?

The reason why file isn't properly tagged when played by WinAmp is that the file is locked during playback and cannot be modified by MM correctly. This doesn't happen when it's played by MM because playback is terminated for a fraction of second.

You say that player hangs if you rate a song, could you elaborate it a bit more? Does it always happen, does it happen for APEs or MP3s, what exactly happens, etc...

Jiri
Peke

Post by Peke »

Well, I only have one thing to add to Jiri and it is regarding differences in ID3v1.1 and APEv1/v2 Tags. ID3v1.1 has header 'TAG' on 128 byte from the end of file and there is possibility that Ape Header 'APETAG' starts at 131 byte from the end of file so many players see it as ID3v1.1 tag without checking for APE tag :( MM do that check, Footbar2000 (in which I checked over 200 MM tagged Ape files) do the same, but mostly possible is that the problem is in Winamp as it uses exclusive access to APE file which do not let MM to modify TAG.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
SilverSquadron

Player is not updated after I rate an APE song (maybe mp3 to

Post by SilverSquadron »

I use 2.2.2.772

The default player Stops 'Moving'as soon as I Rate an APE song, The song still plays and the slider still function, but the Graphics of the player are not updated.
This happens always. To avoid this, I select View>player to remove it and
again View>Plpayer to show it , and than it works again.

FutherMore a had raten over 200 songs by hand, expecting that the ratings would be saved into the files, BUT later, when I imported the APE files into MM on my 2e computer, the ratings were NOT filled in.
I again checked MM on computer 1 and I found out that the ratings were NOT saved. (Some of them were, but not all)

VERY STRANGE ?