Incorrectly renamed and retagged MP3 files

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

malibu

Incorrectly renamed and retagged MP3 files

Post by malibu »

I ran into a problem the other day and I'm not sure if it wrecked files or not, it may have.

My environment:

Main PC with 90% of my mp3s (currently around 1000)
Laptop with 10% of my mp3s

Main PC monitors it's MM folder and the laptop's over the network
Laptop moniros it's MM folder and the PC's over the network

About once a week I copy my new songs to the laptop with MediaMonkey. I do this from either my PC or my laptop but always from within MM via cut and paste. To copy the correct ones I have to select all the uncategorized files and alter the custom 1 field to 'unchecked'. I then pull up the location of the local PC, sort by custom 1, and select all the unchecked files, and cut and paste to the laptop.

The system I do the copy on seems to figure out how to change the files in the datase. On the other system I re-scan and blindly delete the dead links which point to the original file location of the moved files. I usually move about 150 files at a time, I can't check all the dead links.

So I was doing this fine for a couple weeks. But I started noticing problems with files. I ended up with many files that had the right tags and contents, but the file name was completely wrong and corresponded with another song that I had. So I'm wondering how a file could get renamed, and the thing that worries me is that the original file may have gotten overwritten.

Also, I am noticing that I am getting duplicate links for the same file, but with different tag information. If I delete one of them from the library they both dissippear and then I compress the section I'm in and expand again and there is one link showing. I don't think it really causes a problem but kind of annoying as it is in the 100's....

Anyway, your help with these database problems would be wonderful. Thanks.
Lowlander

Duplicates too

Post by Lowlander »

I too have experienced duplicates in the library. The real problem is that when I delete them the file is deleted (i selected that) but all the entries (weel just 2) are deleted as well. This is due to the fact that both entries point to the same file.

How do I get duplicate entries, I have no clue!
malibu

Post by malibu »

Further to my post above... I'm noticing some files with the filenames that used to be in my Madonna collection. I wasn't able to verify this since I've already re-ripped all my madonna files, but it seems probable that filenames got swtiched rather then some files being deleted. Which is better then some files getting deleted but annoying and time consuming to fix nonetheless!

The idea that it is from moving files while they are being scanned is an intriguing one, though I always wait for scanning to complete before doing anything...

I wonder if it is an inherent problem with the active file monitoring that takes place.
jiri

Post by jiri »

The only thing I can add now is that if you catch any such problem while running the debug version as described in http://www.songs-db.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69, it could help localizing if there's anything wrong MM.

Jiri
Lowlander

Sorry

Post by Lowlander »

Well unfortunately I won't be able to generate a log as I use MM a lot and I don't know when the error itself occurs. It is often days after I used the files that I notice the error.