Analyze Volume doesn't seem to update many files

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

Ekted

Analyze Volume doesn't seem to update many files

Post by Ekted »

I've got about 500 mp3's. I select them all, and do Tools/Analyze-Volume. It ticks through all tracks about 1 every 10 seconds, but it takes much less than 5000 seconds (which I expect). When it's done, many of the tracks still have not been updated (Properties/Info/Normalize = Not Calculated). If I select just one track and do the same thing, it always works.
rusty

Failed volume leveling analysis

Post by rusty »

Ekted,

If you select a couple of the tracks that were skipped and try to analyze them (individually or as a group) does the operation succeed? i.e. is it a problem that analysis skips tracks in some cases or is it a problem that certain types of tracks aren't analyzable?

If the problem is that some tracks are skipped can you either:
a) tell me if you notice any sort of pattern to which ones are skipped (i.e. are they on a particular drive / directory?
b) send me a log of the analyze volume operation

-Rusty
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

rusty when i tried to use this feature on mine i had all the songs in the same directory and it did the same thing, i figure it is just that there might be too many songs to adjust for the amount of ram on my /our computers so it stops when it runs out of ram.

as i did get to it to complete a certian amount when i did just a few of them but when i selected all or 1/3rd of the songs it did not do all of them.

no pattern was found in my trys of this other then the amount of data it needs to hold in the ram.

but i have also stopped using this because it made my songs on my computer a lot lower in volume then the, old wide dynamic plugin for winamp so i use that now.

8)
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
Ekted

Post by Ekted »

Here's what I did:

I selected all tracks (503). Performed "Analyze Volume". It does about 50-100 of the tracks, and not just the first ones. I can't tell if there's a pattern. When it completes, I leave all the tracks selcted and do "Analyze Volume" again. It skips tracks it's already updated, and analyzes another 50-100. After doing this 8-10 times in a row, I got it to do them all. Now when I ask it to analyze it checks them all and does nothing as expected.
Ekted

Post by Ekted »

rovingcowboy, my understanding is that MM does NOT modify the mp3 levels when it analyzes. It simply stores an adjustment value in the tags. This value is used to adjust the output gain when MM plays the song ONLY IF you have enabled volume adjustment.
Lowlander

Correct

Post by Lowlander »

Correct Ekted MM only uses this number to adjust the volume of the player for each played song. It doesn't modify the songs themselves in anyway.

The problem Rovingcowboy has been discussed before and that's the overal volume that the player has when volume levelling is used. MM uses 83db as output level when volume levelling is enabled and this can result in soft playback on systems that can't amplify the output of MM sufficiently (like cheap PC speakers). There are plans to allow a custome or just a higher output level than the 83Db MM uses currently. This would result in more volume coming out of your system.
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Ekted wrote:rovingcowboy, my understanding is that MM does NOT modify the mp3 levels when it analyzes. It simply stores an adjustment value in the tags. This value is used to adjust the output gain when MM plays the song ONLY IF you have enabled volume adjustment.

thats right but it still needs to hold all the names of the songs in ram and use ram to write the adjustment down in the database. which is what i am thinking takes a lot of ram to do. i am not thinking it is the fault of media monkey but the fault of windows.

as in win98 does not have many resources and that causes trouble for every thing. and winxp uses your ram for its resouces, and should not matter but when you dont get much ram in the computer it does as winxp needs about 150 mbs for its own use.

so anything under that will start you in the swapfile from the get go. winxp systems need to have atleast 512 mbs of ram for heavy use of media files. if you do processing of video or photos your going to need more a lot more. like 1 gig of ram.

i have 768 mbs of rdram and mspicture it still uses it and all the swap file and crashes if i start to do heavy photo processing.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.