WMA error since update for Win10 [#14650]

This forum is for reporting bugs in MediaMonkey for Windows 4. Note that version 4 is no longer actively maintained as it has been replaced by version 5.

Moderator: Gurus

office@mailware.at-1

WMA error since update for Win10 [#14650]

Post by office@mailware.at-1 »

Hi !

It seems that yesterdays update for windows 10 (2018-02 Cumulative Updatefor Win 10 1709 x64 - KB4074588) Mediamonkey can not play WMA files any more.

I ask for you assistance.

Best regards !
Peke

Re: WMA error since update for Win10

Post by Peke »

I can't replicate the issue.

Have you tried to play WMA files in any other application?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
office@mailware.at-1

Hi !

Yes, onboard Groove still plays them.
I also tried probably every known solution I found for WMA problems in Mediamonkey without any success :-(

Thank you, Klaus
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
By other apps I exclude Groove and VLC but any other app that uses system codecs.

Also check out if you fall under http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... windows-10 and http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... iew/130/0/
Best regards,
Peke
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Which version of MediaMonkey are you running?
office@mailware.at-1

Version is 4.1.20.1864

Tried to play WMA with Audacity and Adobe Soundbooth, both do fine with them, but I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for as other app.

I already tried the solutions of your first link, the codec from the 2nd link can not be installed, as it is not an N-Version of Windows (it is Win 10 Pro 1709), and Windows refuses the installation.

Additional information:
It seems that WMA files can't be read in detail by MediaMonkey as it does not show title and artist in the list of songs - if there is a way I can add a screenshot of this.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Ok, now things are getting strange. Can you please upload somewhere one non Playing WMA and send me download link in PM for analyze?
Best regards,
Peke
office@mailware.at-1

Hi !

Some new information on the problem !
It seems you brought us to the right track :-)

I opened one of the WMA files which do not play in MM anymore (and do not show the title of song and album in the metadata) in Audacity, and saved it in the actual WMA2 format - and surprise: MM plays the new WMA !

So you are right, the problem is the file format of my older WMA files, which are not read correctly anymore by MM.

By the way, also Audacity does not read the complete Metadata anymore, the name of the artist is not shown when exporting the file in the new WMA format.

Regards, Klaus
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
You are right, problem is in some application wrote ID3v2 Tag in front of WMA header which is prohibited by standard. That corrupts file and there is high probability of even Audio data corruption.

I've added this to our To do under http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14650 to see what we can do to play them, but ATM I personally think it is good that you can't play them in MMW as you can identify them and then re encode in AudioCity.

Thank you for sample file, we will see what can be done without further corrupting them.

BTW all apps I tested haven't read Metadata and they even could not save metadata in the file to avoid further corruption.
Best regards,
Peke
office@mailware.at-1

Re: WMA error since update for Win10 [#14650]

Thank you for your updated information !

Maybe you can provide an update for this problem the next days/weeks, as also the synchronization with my MP3-Player-Device fails because of the WMA-problem, the WMA files are missing on the player, and the playlists are also not updated correctly.

Best regards, Klaus
Peke

Post by Peke »

FYI even when we make MMW read/play such broken WMA files they still would need to be converted and I would suggest to do exactly that.
Best regards,
Peke
office@mailware.at-1

Thank you for your update on this.

Of course I was hoping that you can fix it in a way which brings the WMA files in the useabe status they had before the update probably broke them.
But I already started to convert them with a tool, which is not so easy as some information of the original file got lost (composer, date, bpm, ...) and has to be entered manually again, and the new file has to be entered/linked in the playlist(s) where the old one was before ...

Anyway, thank you for your efforts !
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

If you replace the original outside of MediaMonkey you should be able to use Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Synchronize Tags to update the new files with the database values in MediaMonkey (if the missing data is there). It would also keep the file in the Playlists.
office@mailware.at-1

Hello Lowlander !

Thank you for your advice !
I tried this, by converting the WMA to an MP§ and adding it to the library, and by replacing the WMA with an also converted WMA (newer format) with exactly the same name. But none of them was listed in the list of files with "Unsynchronized Tags" from where I could select them and use the function you described.

Also just selecting the new file and using the function didn't change the content of the tags.

And I should mention that the converted files included most of the tags from the old file, just Date, BPM, Songtext, and other composers or artists where missing if more then one (sepereated with semicolon) was entered in the tag before, obviously a missing feature of the converter I used, which can not copy every tag.
Thats probably the reason why MediaMonkey didn't take information from the library but updated it with the content of the tag in the new file.

If you have any more suggestions the are very welcome :-)
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Don't scan (disable Folder Monitoring too) when you replace the WMA with WMA files. Then Synchronize Tags which saves database values to the file (do make sure the database has the better values before doing this). Then the values from MediaMonkey should be saved in the file and thus not get replace with the missing values from the file on scanning.

Alternative, handy tool to copy values from a file to another: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... +duplicate