Track ending prematurely, once again

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

mcow

Track ending prematurely, once again

Post by mcow »

Long time ago I opened a ticket for this problem (WDG-915633). I submitted several logs. I got an email from Pavle:
I've been able to reproduce / confirm the problem that you reported. Thanks for taking the time to help us get to the bottom of this.
It never got fixed, I wrote back and asked what happened:
It was assigned to Ludek, I was able to replicate but after tests my Wi-Fi was the culprit and reason in my case I'll escalate it again and see if new log show something new.
Some time later, during the Christmas season 2014, I got an email saying they hadn't heard from me and wanted me to check in. I tried to check in and the ticket was not visible in the system any more -- it looked like the whole ticket system had been rebooted. A week later, an email saying it had been 168 hours and so they were closing the ticket.

That was a pretty unsatisfying experience.

So now...

MMW build 1754's changelog included this bug: Playback of tracks from Media Servers can fail sometimes -- reported, with no detail, by Ludek, and marked fixed. I was intrigued and installed that build.
there is a high probability that this issue is not noticeable normally.
Yesterday, I was playing some music and a track ended prematurely. I checked MMW and there was an error box displayed, to the effect of "Can't find network drive." This is new (didn't used to get the error box) but useless (the track still ended prematurely).

Would it be possible to implement an actual fix to this problem instead of an error box? Like, maybe, some sort of keep-alive activity to the network drive in the background?
Lowlander

Re: Track ending prematurely, once again

Post by Lowlander »

Are you playing from a DLNA server or a file server? It sounds like the problem lies with your network device.
mcow

Post by mcow »

To answer the question: Playing from a file server, not a DLNA server, when this problem occurs.

I experienced the symptom this morning, again, with the 4.1.9 release (build 1764). It was the debug build, but I didn't have DebugView running.
This time, no error message was displayed.

I returned to this bug and reviewed what I wrote. The link in my post was pointing to the wrong bug number, it should have been to bug 12817. I cannot say whether that bug is actually related to the problem I'm seeing. (The bug report mentions "http audio stream reading" and I would not expect HTTP to be used to access the NAS.) All I can say is, the one time I saw the problem while running beta build 1754, there was an error message displayed that I'd never seen before, and haven't seen since.

But I can say that it would be very helpful if someone with some actual technical knowledge (like, say, Ludek) could work with me on this.
mcow

Post by mcow »

Back in September, Peke wrote me:
Are you still have issues on Wi-Fi only?
I was thinking that diskstation turn-off hdds too quick and spinup time is too slow ending Samba (SMB/CIFS) report pathn not available? I've seen that few times but on QNAP I can set the time and also I have Cron Job in background keeping HDDs active.
I responded:
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure why you mentioned wi-fi, my MMW computer and my Synology NAS are both on ethernet. I've looked for keep-alive settings in the NAS and haven't found any. The NAS does sleep on no activity, but when it wakes up, it takes a while for the disks to spin; whereas, the problem I see with cut-off tracks is always followed by the next track starting immediately.

My MMW library is rooted at

Code: Select all

\\DISKSTATION\music\
. I also have a drive mapped to a network share on the NAS, which usually is not accessed by MediaMonkey. I saw a mention in a Synology discussion online that having a mapped drive causes Windows to keep polling in a keep-alive fashion, but as I said, my NAS does go to sleep if I'm not playing music from it.
Further, when I am playing music from the NAS, the disk access lights blink continually. There is no inactivity.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Try switching output plugin and/or disable crossfade and remove silence, also if file end prematurely if played from local HDD than we would need a sample.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Peke

Post by Peke »

I'm not seen such behavior after December Windows 10 Update and after I updated Sound Card Driver.

Do you still have same issue, and have you recently Updated drivers?
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts