iphone sync problems

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Roobar

iphone sync problems

Post by Roobar »

I use MM (4.1.2.1705) playlists to manage tracks to be synced to my iPhone 5, IOS 7.1.1. When I delete a track from the playlist, the track is removed from the iPhone but the Artist and Album entries are still visible in the Music app on the iPhone. When I try to select the track to play, the Music app skips through the deleted tracks indicating that they are not on the iPhone and shows a red icon (dot and circle) against the missing tracks.

Can you make sure that the Artist & Album (Genre also?) lists are updated to remove the deleted track details.
TwinTraveller

Re: iphone sync problems

Post by TwinTraveller »

I'm experiencing the exact same issue using MediaMonkey 4.1.1.1703 on iPhone 4S running iOS 7.1.1.

After every sync the number of tracks reported by the iPhone music app just keeps growing. I may be wrong, but this only appears to happen when using playlists for synchronizing.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I cannot replicate with my iTouch 5 (iOS7), all metadata entries are deleted together with the track. Actually MM sends only track ID to iOS7 and the phone itself is removing all related attributes. Are you sure that the tracks are really deleted from the phone? Maybe some of them failed to delete for some reason?
Roobar

Post by Roobar »

Ludek wrote:I cannot replicate with my iTouch 5 (iOS7), all metadata entries are deleted together with the track. Actually MM sends only track ID to iOS7 and the phone itself is removing all related attributes. Are you sure that the tracks are really deleted from the phone? Maybe some of them failed to delete for some reason?
How can I check whether the track is "really deleted" from the phone? It's certainly the case that the track is still listed in the Music app, but the app skips the track when you try to play it at least suggesting that the track is actually deleted or that the link between the Music entry for the track and the actual mp3 file on the phone is broken.

Either way, the track entry is never deleted from the iphone and ultimately I have restore the iphone via iTunes to get rid of these entries. Which is a serious pain in the neck.
Roobar

Post by Roobar »

I think that what's happening is that the track is being physically deleted from the iPhone but the playlist on the iPhone is not being updated correctly.
Roobar

Post by Roobar »

I've checked out the problem using build 1706 more carefully. When I autosync the iphone to MM, the tracks listed in the MM playlist get updated with the date I played the track on the iphone. I then delete these played tracks from the MM playlist and manually sync the iphone. The tracks are deleted from the iphone which I can see when I look at the Music listed in the iphone node in MM. But when I check the playlist in the Music app on the iphone, the tracks are still listed. If I play the playlist on the iphone, the tracks are skipped because they are no longer on the iphone (red circle and dot icon against these deleted tracks in the Music app).

I can then delete the playlist in the iphone Music app and resync (3rd sync) the iphone to MM. The MM playlist is copied to the iphone again without the entries for the deleted tracks, and all is good.

But, this extra step of having to manually delete the playlist in the iphone Music app and then sync MM for a 3rd time to copy the updated playlist to the iphone should not be necessary.
Roobar

Post by Roobar »

lol

I just deleted a few more tracks from the MM playlist and checked the iphone Music app expecting to have to delete the playlist and resync the iphone.

The damn playlist was updated correctly!

<groan>

So there's another level of complexity to this problem. There's still a bug, but it can be masked by this subsequent correct behavior.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

I had similar issue with iTunes and my iTouch 5 iOS7 recently. MM was not introduced at all this time. I wanted to delete all tracks from my iTouch5 and upgrade my iOS to 7.1.1.
So I opened iTunes, selected all tracks (~2K) and deleted. The result was that iTunes totally frozen during sync. The tracks were still visible in Touch, but not playable and still taking space. Every subsequent sync with iTunes frozen again I had to finally restore my iTouch in iTunes. Seems that deleting thousands of tracks at once is an issue for Apple's sync services :-/