MMW Not Sending Albums To Android Correctly

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

frankz

MMW Not Sending Albums To Android Correctly

Post by frankz »

Hi,

I'm assuming this is a MMW problem. I'm on Windows 7 with Beta Build 4.1.0.1683.

I've got MMA installed on my phone. When I do a sync with MMW to my phone, some albums are not synching properly to the phone (some tracks are not being seen as part of the albums because certain metadata is stripped, including the art in tags) Tracks are broken up into two albums when viewed through the built-in player or Play Music (one album of the correctly tagged files / one of the hosed files). These albums are showing up correctly within MMA as albums, I'm assuming because that's working off a database rather than the file tags.

When I look at the metadata in the phone's default player for the problem files, I see that the track numbers, genre and embedded art aren't carrying over in the tags on sync. They are stripped. So, Genre shows as <unknown>, Track Number - 0 and there is no art when viewed in ES File Explorer.

This is only happening for some track on these albums - others are going over just fine. I can't make heads or tails of what the difference is between the ones that are working and the ones that aren't. All of these files, the ones with the metadata in tact and the ones with the metadata stripped on sync, were synced to the phone at the same time. This was a full USB sync - not WiFi.

This is not happening for the same albums when I sync to my iPod Touch. Everything there is as it should be.

The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S4 running Android 4.3.
Ludek

Re: MMW Not Sending Albums To Android Correctly

Post by Ludek »

Hi that sounds strange, like if the files would transfer incomplete to your S4?

So are you telliing that sending/copying a file to S4 transfers the file incomplete (with stripped tags).
If you copy the file just using Windows Explorer does the same issue happen?
Are you sure that the tags are in-tact for the file on the PC being copied to the S4?
Probably example file would help here.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Note that you're on an old MMW build.
frankz

Post by frankz »

Hi,

It is strange!

Yes, some of the files have the tags stripped on sync and some do not. All of the files are properly tagged in MMW and a sync to the iPod Touch bears this out. If I look at the properties of the bad files on my phone using Windows Explorer, Artist is listed as <unknown>, Title is listed as the file name, and Genre is listed as <unknown>. I know from looking at them in the stock music player that Track Number is 0, and from looking at the list of files in ES File Explorer that the tagged cover art is also being stripped. All of these fields are properly populated in MMW.

This is occurring during a USB auto-sync, not a straight file copying. If I just copy the file to the phone using windows explorer, the file goes over to the phone fine.

I have screenshots as examples, but no way to upload them here that I can see.
Lowlander wrote:Note that you're on an old MMW build.
Was this a known issue in my build that was fixed in later builds? I checked but didn't see it being discussed.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When troubleshooting the latest builds should be used as the problem may have been resolved (even if it hasn't been discussed).
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

If I just copy the file to the phone using windows explorer, the file goes over to the phone fine.
Does it mean that all tags are then all-right in the Android players/apps (when the file is transferred using Windows Explorer) ?

Be sure that your MM is synchronized with the file tags (that they do not appear in Music -> Files to Edit -> Unsynchronized tags).
If they are there then sync the tags with the data in your MM library.

You can upload the example file using a free sharing service (DropBox, FileDropper, RapidShare, etc. etc.)
frankz

Post by frankz »

I've updated the latest betas of MMW and MMA and am still having problems.

I haven't gotten a chance to create a shared photo account yet, but mounting the phone in MMW shows interesting information:

1. The files that are successfully seen as an album in Android have multiple artists and genres on the phone after sync (eg. The Beatles; The Beatles and Rock; Rock in Artist and Genre fields)
2. The files that are getting hosed on transfer do not.
3. All files show up correctly tagged in MMW, one Artist, one Genre.

Don't know what this means in the grand scheme of things, but it's another data point.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Don't know why this is happening to you, but probably sharing the set of the screengrabs and generated debug log (item 4b here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... ?f=6&t=341 ) would shed some light on this.
frankz

Post by frankz »

OK - I got this sorted. I don't know what caused it, but something did a number on my "Track Number" tags at some point and Android couldn't handle it.

The songs that were showing up as part of the main album all had correctly formatted (to my standard) "Track Number" tags (01, 02, 03, etc).
The songs that were showing up incorrectly in Android had screwed up (to my standard) "Track Number" tags (00, 3/14, blank, etc).

In MMW, they all showed up correctly, but once they got to Android MMA showed them correctly (from the database) but other music players did not (from the tags).

Either way, I reformatted the "Track Numbers" in MP3Tag, deleted the hosed versions from my phone, synced the corrected versions, and everything was fine.

BTW - none of these albums showed up as needing "Synchronize Tags" in MMW.

Problem solved.