Cannot play music on a CD

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Bill

Cannot play music on a CD

Post by Bill »

I am running MM version 4.1.0.1672. When I try to play music from my system's CD player, MM hangs and the system is very busy. If I eject the CD from the player, MM is no longer hung up and they system is not busy. I can play the music on this CD using Windows Media Player for XP with no problem. BTW, when I was using MM 3.x, I had no problem playing music from my CDs.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Desktop/Win7/Router: WRT 1900 ACS. LINKSYS Media Player: Sony Blu-ray DVD BDP-S5100 /MM4/AV Sound System

Re: Cannot play music on a CD

Post by Guest »

Could WMP be trying to play it at same time?
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

Have you tried suggestion here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=121 ?

Also, does this happen when you run MM as administrator?

And yes, Could WMP or another app be trying to play it at same time?
Bill

Post by Bill »

Ludek wrote:Have you tried suggestion here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=121 ?

I'm not sure I understand "run MM as administrator". I always run my system in administration mode if that is what you are asking.
My BIOS IDE configuration allows allows for these on chip SATA types:
Native IDE
RAID IDE
AHCI
Legacy IDE.
Native IDE is selected for my IDE configuration.
Regarding WMP, I have the same problem when WMP is not installed on my system
Desktop/Win7/Router: WRT 1900 ACS. LINKSYS Media Player: Sony Blu-ray DVD BDP-S5100 /MM4/AV Sound System
imagehopper

Post by imagehopper »

Mediamonkey is trying to use the ram on the CD drive as system ram.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Bill wrote:
Ludek wrote:Have you tried suggestion here: http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... icleid=121 ?

I'm not sure I understand "run MM as administrator".
Right click MM icon, Run as administrator
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Bill

Post by Bill »

imagehopper wrote:Mediamonkey is trying to use the ram on the CD drive as system ram.
If so, how do you stop it?
Bill

Post by Bill »

Right click MM icon, Run as administrator
Did same, made no difference.
monkey hi fi

Post by monkey hi fi »

Try increasing your page file and running your cleaning programs and defragmenting, those seem to be able to keep the ram free if that is the trouble, also try using maxmem from analog to see if it really is filled ram,
as for the ram on the CD drive you might need to increase the size of the L2 cache to stop that being used, only a few tweak programs will allow that adjustment. Only time I had what imagehopper said was when i tried to use a new 24 bit cd drive on an old standalone dummy terminal that didn't have an L2 cache. But that was back in 3.0 Days.
Bill

Post by Bill »

monkey hi fi wrote:Try increasing your page file and running your cleaning programs and defragmenting, those seem to be able to keep the ram free if that is the trouble, also try using maxmem from analog to see if it really is filled ram,
as for the ram on the CD drive you might need to increase the size of the L2 cache to stop that being used, only a few tweak programs will allow that adjustment. Only time I had what imagehopper said was when i tried to use a new 24 bit cd drive on an old standalone dummy terminal that didn't have an L2 cache. But that was back in 3.0 Days.
I defragmented my drives and cleaned up my registers (I do this periodically and it was time). Also, I increased my cache. Unfortunately, nothing changed. :(
Bill

Post by Bill »

I think I have narrowed down the problem some. I was just able to rip a CD with out any problem. The tracks on the CD had no tags. The CDs that will not rip all have tags.
I'm now running 4.1.0.1688