Ratings sync issue PC to MMA

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

lostinthought

Ratings sync issue PC to MMA

Post by lostinthought »

I am having a peculiar issue when I try syncing ratings from my between my PC and SGS3. My pc is a WIN 7 64bit running the latest MM build 1664 (non debug version). My AT&T SGS3 is running CM 10.1.3 with the latest MMA from the Play store. Here are the scenarios I have encountered

1) Synced rated music from PC to my SGS3 via USB. Sync worked fine, and ratings showed up correctly on my SGS3
2) On MY SGS3 I changed the ratings for the songs synced above. I synced my PC and SGS3 via USB, and ratings did NOT sync back to my PC. I disconnected the USB cable and synced wirelessly from MMA on the SGS3 and the ratings updated successfully on the PC.
3) I changed the ratings on the PC for the songs synced above and was unable to sync the changed ratings back to my SGS3 MMA. I tried syncing via USB and wirelessly and neither method would change the ratings on my device.

Hopefully someone can shed some light on my issue...

Love the MMA App..its coming along very nicely!
Last edited by lostinthought on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lowlander

Re: Ratings sync issue PC to MMA

Post by Lowlander »

1) Do you mean SGS4 or SGS3 (the one you're having the issue with)?
lostinthought

Post by lostinthought »

Lowlander wrote:1) Do you mean SGS4 or SGS3 (the one you're having the issue with)?
I meant SGS3. Sorry for the confusion!
(previous post now fixed)
lostinthought

Post by lostinthought »

lostinthought wrote: 1) Synced rated music from PC to my SGS3 via USB. Sync worked fine, and ratings showed up correctly on my SGS3
2) On MY SGS3 I changed the ratings for the songs synced above. I synced my PC and SGS3 via USB, and ratings did NOT sync back to my PC. I disconnected the USB cable and synced wirelessly from MMA on the SGS3 and the ratings updated successfully on the PC.
3) I changed the ratings on the PC for the songs synced above and was unable to sync the changed ratings back to my SGS3 MMA. I tried syncing via USB and wirelessly and neither method would change the ratings on my device.

!
So after a more thorough round of testing I have come to realize that ONLY the following 2 scenarios will cause the ratings sync to fail.
1) Change a track with at least 1 or more stars on my PC to "zero stars". Sync to phone. Sync will not update ratings on phone
2) Change a track with at least 1 or more stars on my PC to "unknown" rating. Sync to phone. Sync will not update ratings on phone

If I change a rated track (that is rated 1 or more stars) on my PC to anything, but "zero" or "unknown", the ratings WILL sync correctly. Sound like a bug?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sounds in line with the "data protection" philosophy where tagged data isn't replaced with empty data that is employed elsewhere in MM too.
lostinthought

Post by lostinthought »

Lowlander wrote:Sounds in line with the "data protection" philosophy where tagged data isn't replaced with empty data that is employed elsewhere in MM too.
Well, I guess if it is intended it's not really a bug. However, that philosophy interferes with the ability of a user to be able to unlike a song (by removing the rating), and having it reflect as such on their portable device. What do you think?
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Unliking would normally be done with a low star rating or bomb. This seems to make sense as with no rating it may be hard to differentiate between files that still need to be rated and those that have been unliked. I believe bomb is still missing in MMA, but it has been discussed.
lostinthought

Post by lostinthought »

Lowlander wrote:Unliking would normally be done with a low star rating or bomb. This seems to make sense as with no rating it may be hard to differentiate between files that still need to be rated and those that have been unliked. I believe bomb is still missing in MMA, but it has been discussed.
Gotcha...thanks for the info!