MM4 didn't import MM3 database?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

KEP

Re: MM4 didn't import MM3 database?

Post by KEP »

nohitter151 wrote:If you've moved the database from the default location, the automatic upgrade wouldn't take place.
Ahhhhh, the missing link! Any idea this exclusion occurs? Seems like a pretty lame limitation.

That KB ought to be updated to reflect this, and be clear on whether this is a bug or by design.
nohitter151 wrote:If you need to manually upgrade the DB, you can do so as described in the KB:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... ticleid=57
Leery of that one, as it specifically says that it's meant for upgrading v2 databases (which were MDBs, as I recall?).

At any rate, all I had to do was make a copy of my MM3 database, point MM4 at it (via DBName in INI), and the upgrade proceeded just fine. But that really seems like something that ought to be handled as part of the setup and/or first execution.

Thanks!
ODO

Post by ODO »

Hi

I initially screwed up just the same- the MM4 setup made it way too easy, and no warning was displayed :-(

I am running my MM installation in a "portable mode" from an external HDD since version 3. I edited the MM.ini to point every path to the right drive letter etc., and everything worked just fine as long as the drive was mapped to that specified letter.

Then I saw the "portable mode" check box in the setup and thought "Ihaah, they heard the call". Of course I checked it. After that I had a clean install as many said. I re-run the setup without the "poratble mode" checked and it upgrade the DB- and kept all settings specified in the previous MM.ini obviously as well. So as long as your DB has still the same size as before it will be intact even if the "last modified" date changed (and then there are backups... ;-) )

My questions is now: if I run the setup with "portable mode" checked after the DB is upgrade will I loose all settings again? What is that setting for anyways?

Cheers,
Ondrej
Robin_WH

Post by Robin_WH »

Well, I did have similar experience today. I´ve made pre-update prep and optimized database of MM3.0.5, killed medimonkey.exe app, then I downloaded and installed MM4.0.7.1511.exe, it updated DB, cretead back-up copy of old one (MM.DB.Pre31) and NOTHING. The library have records of files, but numbers in column of "played #" are "0" everywhere. So I reinstalled again version 3.0.5 and everything works ok again. I am curious, so I changed my installed language (czech) to english in 3.0.5, killed app, restarted, and problem is here again, but this time in 3.0.5 version. Weird. Reverted back to czech, and it works again. DOUBLE WEIRD.
Another weird thing is, that MM3.0.5 writes to MM.DB in C:\users\Robin_WH\appdata\local\Mediamonkey folder, while version 4 updated file in the *\ppdata\roaming\mediamonkey folder.
I run MM on Win7 Pro x64 CZ SP1 + mountain of MS updates/fixes/patches
Peke

Post by Peke »

Robin_WH wrote:Well, I did have similar experience today. I´ve made pre-update prep and optimized database of MM3.0.5, killed medimonkey.exe app, then I downloaded and installed MM4.0.7.1511.exe, it updated DB, cretead back-up copy of old one (MM.DB.Pre31) and NOTHING. The library have records of files, but numbers in column of "played #" are "0" everywhere. So I reinstalled again version 3.0.5 and everything works ok again. I am curious, so I changed my installed language (czech) to english in 3.0.5, killed app, restarted, and problem is here again, but this time in 3.0.5 version. Weird. Reverted back to czech, and it works again. DOUBLE WEIRD.
Another weird thing is, that MM3.0.5 writes to MM.DB in C:\users\Robin_WH\appdata\local\Mediamonkey folder, while version 4 updated file in the *\ppdata\roaming\mediamonkey folder.
I run MM on Win7 Pro x64 CZ SP1 + mountain of MS updates/fixes/patches
Hi, your problem looks little bit different. in your case as you have very very old MMW version you should do this after you backup MM.DB:
1. Upgrade to latest MMW 3.x version http://www.mediamonkey.com/support/inde ... 45&nav=0,2
2. Fully optimize/maintain Library
3. Upgrade to 4.0.7.1511 (I personally tested direct update to 4.1.0.1684 on my 120k library I have and maintain from '03 and it worked flowlessly)
4. Fully optimize/maintain Library
5. Install MMW 4.1.0.1682
6. Fully optimize/maintain Library

See if all is OK. if in any case it was not OK and you find something is out of order. Open support ticket, supply us with your oldest MMW 3.0.5 library and reference to this topic so that we can do in deep analyze what happened.

FYI "Local" and "Roaming" difference in Windows Vista+ is that for Read/Write access of "Local" UAC often complains due the permissions issues whereas "Roaming" is designed for that and managed more loosely (I really would not go into details why MS designed it like that).
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Robin_WH

Post by Robin_WH »

sadly I´ll have to do as you say - I downloaded 3.2.5, installed it, and got same problem as with 4.0.7.
Edit: I made ticket, but it is not displayed immediately after submitting so I am not if it got submited OK.
To make sure I uploaded copy here: http://uloz.to/xrfDusXu/mediamonkey-rar
Peke

Post by Peke »

THX I'll analyze it.
Best regards,
Peke
Peke

Post by Peke »

@Robin_WH
I absolutely had no issues to update library, even some chapters showed 1.07 of playback.

You can dl your 4.1 updated library from http://rapidgator.net/file/ecaf8047434e ... y.rar.html
Best regards,
Peke
Robin_WH

Post by Robin_WH »

Did not worked. I have zeroes everywhere in computer tree. Did you had czech set-up as language? When I switched from Czech to English in 3.0.5, it happend too.

I look and play my files through folder system tree built in MM (My computer and tree following from it), I almost don´t use library.

When I look now, I have found out, that in library section, there are some notices of played files in "played #" column. But files are not all present in folder. For example in folder M:\MP3\mluvené slovo\Weber, David I have complete archive of Honorverse MP3s, but in library only 6 out 24 audiobooks is shown. Also, when I added files to folder, I have used a File-Add/Rescan library function.
Right now, I have used this function on library tree (music\location\M:\MP3\Mluvené slovo\Weber, David) and resulf was 0 added files.
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I still can't replicate like you are referring to a different DB.

THX for all the info I'll inform CZ team members to contact you over PM and than try to solve the problem directly.
Best regards,
Peke
Robin_WH

Post by Robin_WH »

Ashes over my head! I am such scatterbrain. When I tried to go logically after bug, and made screenshots, I found some of my misconceptions.

1.) I always thought it did not matter if you played file through library folder tree or computer tree folder in media monkey, that notice about when file was last played and how many times would show in both. But now I when I look there, in even 3.0.5, I have all tracks I played in Library folder tree numbered and dated, but none played nor dated in "my computer" folder tree structure. (look at screenshots)
many of reported problem have its root in this misconception.
2.)When switching CZ-EN lang and back, there´s no problem right now.
3.)When new MM 4.0.7 updates library, the result is many folders go missing and can´t be searched and added.

so I uninstalled all, restarted pc and returned to 3.0.5 installation and db, for another round of experiments.

4.)I´ve updated from 3.0.5 to 3.2.5 - it updated library and library worked as fine as in 3.0.5, but application has gotten tendecy to freeze (and I had to kill it 3x in row)
5.)I´ve updated form 3.2.5 to 4.0.7 - again, there is problem with folders missing.

I rared copy of each database version, and made screenshots and all packed into this rar: http://uloz.to/xTbpSNu2/screenshots-and-mm-dbs-rar