how to remove the confirmation pop-up when adding art?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

qazwsxedcrfvg

how to remove the confirmation pop-up when adding art?

Post by qazwsxedcrfvg »

how to remove the confirmation pop-up when adding art by drag and drop?
in MM3 there was no confirmation as I remember.
It is a bit annoying with this confirmation, since it pop-ups, but often a windows explorer is closing it. And yeah, I don't need to confirm each time adding an album art to an album.
nohitter151

Re: how to remove the confirmation pop-up when adding art?

Post by nohitter151 »

No it can't be removed.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Ludek

Post by Ludek »

qazwsxedcrfvg

Post by qazwsxedcrfvg »

Ludek wrote:It was eliminated in the course of http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view. ... 070#c24834
I tried to understand what they have decided about having it as an option and didn't get the final decision.

If it can't be removed - it sucks. Really. Dunno why it has to be that way. Probably not many people are tagging their music with album art, so they are not bothered by this pop-up dialog. But I am. I like to store all my covers in tags. And this means that it is 80% of music has to be tagged with album art.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

qazwsxedcrfvg wrote: Really. Dunno why it has to be that way. Probably not many people are tagging their music with album art, so they are not bothered by this pop-up dialog. But I am. I like to store all my covers in tags. And this means that it is 80% of music has to be tagged with album art.
I don't understand what you're saying. I tag my files with art, I really don't see the problem with this pop up.

Also the reasoning is right at the link you referenced:
The Add Artwork dialog for 'Art & Details' _must_ always appear, because it has options which probably should never be hidden:
-Choose the image type
-Apply to all files in the Album/Series
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
qazwsxedcrfvg

Post by qazwsxedcrfvg »

I do not know your workflow how you tag them. I have MM maximized and windows explorer or FF browser as a window, so I just drug and drop it to the selected album (often going without the taskbar to bring the MM in front - this causes that pop-up window is hidden behind the windows explorer). Also always to confirm the things where I do not want to change anything is just counter-productive. It is not about 'is it hard to press OK to confirm?', it is about a smooth usage/experience.

In Options->Library->Tags&Playlists->Artwork Image location and image file name are already selected.
So what is the point?
Regarding 'Image type' - I use only 1 image as a cover (front). That would be actually nice to have it as a default option.
'Apply to all files in the album/series' - I want it to apply to all selected files. That is why I select them (or the album).

So why not to have an option to disable a pop up dialog?

One of the main features what brought me to MM (and still keeps on it) is the management of album art (drag & drop as part of it) and an Album Art view.
And since this is one of the most crucial parts for me when using MM, I definitively pay more attention to detail in this area than you guys, who is trying to hold the whole MM and its features working. [Of course much difference could be attributed to our differences in workflow and habits. ]
And I have just MM crashed 4th time in the last 2 hours when adding album art. Together with other cases (bad cache generating/rendering in MM3 and early MM4beta and some other issues in Art view) this just confirms that you just focus more e.g. on storing information (including album art) but do not focus on user experience (including visual) much.
qazwsxedcrfvg

Post by qazwsxedcrfvg »

Here is an example:
I have dragged and dropped a .jpg on an album art. The pop up window is closed by windows explorer which is inactive (I can't move it or hide by clicking on a top of its window).
As you can see there is a pop-up behind it...
rusty

Post by rusty »

Re. elimination of the pop-up dialog, it's not that simple (and MM3 had bugs related to the issue), because the dialog appears differently depending on exactly how artwork is added, so a 'Don't prompt me for this again' dialog couldn't be applied universally.

We've replicated the second issue (confirmation dialog appearing behind firefox) and are tracking it at:
http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=8394

Thanks.

-Rusty
qazwsxedcrfvg

Post by qazwsxedcrfvg »

I am so sad :cry:
Also because I can't even comprehend how difficult it might be to fix it...

How about at least to bring it to front, so that when it appears it becomes active and it could be closed by pressing Enter?

Edit:
Great /s
Now I have 2 pop-up windows, after I installed the version ...40.
http://screencast.com/t/TunTdUzKPJf
rusty

Post by rusty »

qaz,

Don't be sad--we're going to get MM to a good state--it's just taking a little longer than we'd hoped ;-)

Re. the double-pop up--I can't replicate that. Is it still occurring for you or was it a one-time thing?

fyi, 8394 should be fixed in the next build.

-Rusty
qazwsxedcrfvg

Post by qazwsxedcrfvg »

rusty,

the most important thing - you are working on it. 'Kaizen' principle should apply ;)

I have updated (or restarted PC - don't remember) and double pop-up is not appearing any more.
rusty

Post by rusty »

btw, just reviewing this. As far as I can see, this issue is pretty much resolved. i.e. the confirmation dialog appears, but pressing enter is all that's needed to confirm.

Perhaps in the future we'll figure out a way to avoid it altogether.

-Rusty
cajunlibra

Post by cajunlibra »

I've noticed an issue with the confirmation dialog.
Despite having "folder.jpg" set as the filename in my preferences, the dialog shows ".jpg" as the filename. I'm using the most recent version of MM4.

I also miss the ability to disable the popup when tagging from web from MM3.
kiwichick

Post by kiwichick »

I agree. This has been a big peeve of mine for a long time. I tag loads of my artwork as described by qazwsxedcrfvg and that particular prompt is the most annoying.
qazwsxedcrfvg wrote:Regarding 'Image type' - I use only 1 image as a cover (front). That would be actually nice to have it as a default option.
The same again for me. Yes, the option to set a default image type would be great!!!
rusty wrote:the dialog appears differently depending on exactly how artwork is added, so a 'Don't prompt me for this again' dialog couldn't be applied universally.
Would it necessarily have to be turned off universally? There could just be a prompt for each situation. Then the user can choose which ones to keep. Especially if this makes it easier to develop than trying to make it universal.
rusty wrote:Perhaps in the future we'll figure out a way to avoid it altogether.
I sure hope so. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE make it happen :-)
cajunlibra

Post by cajunlibra »

Is there any way that we could force MM4 to NOT create incremental folder.jpg files? I'd rather get asked if I want to override the file. I just found a disk of old tracks that have little information in the tag and so they are all int he same folder. When I tag each file individually, MM4 wants to increment the files.