Risk involved in switching to the beta?

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

TJOHO

Risk involved in switching to the beta?

Post by TJOHO »

I normally don't use beta versions, but I really needed the UPNP streaming feature, so much so that I considered other software (sacrilege, I know! :wink: ) before discovering that MM4 has it.

I did a quick test with a portable install of the beta, and the UPNP streaming indeed does work as I want it to! :D

My question is (being unfamiliar with betas): what is the risk involved in going straight for the beta right now and just use that as my day to day media player instead of 3.2?

I'm fine with some scripts being temporarily broken; I just need base music playing functionality, downloads of podcasts, and syncing of both to/from my iPhone. My main concern is that I have many years of play history in my database that I don't want to lose.

Thanks in advance.
Lowlander

Re: Risk involved in switching to the beta?

Post by Lowlander »

There is always a risk, but MediaMonkey 4 is late in the beta cycle close to a release candidate.

What I have done is to make sure I have a backup of my MediaMonkey 3 database (and consider to make regular backups (for example before each beta update) of the MediaMonkey 4 database. I also haven't given MediaMonkey 4 write access to my main library (music files). This way even if something is wrong it won't be able to mess up things.
TJOHO

Post by TJOHO »

Thanks, Lowlander, I think I'll try it out. Just to make sure, this is the recommended procedure, right?
  • Make a backup of the MM3 database
  • Install the latest MM4 Beta. Question: do I need to use regular install to have it upgrade my current MM3 database to 4 (It didn't for the portable)? After all, I do want to use my play history and ratings and stuff.
  • Disallow write access to music files for now. Question: how do I do that?
  • Going forward: updating to new beta updates and eventually the final version is just installing over the previous one, right?
Sorry if I'm being dense, but this is an area where I don't want to mess up my music files nor my database.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Yes, I did in Windows, but it was easy as I have a network location that requires password anyway.

For upgrade see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 76#p302976