iPod Classic support - You can test it!

Beta Testing for Windows Products and plugins

Moderator: Gurus

Globi

Post by Globi »

I have no problem with compilations. In MM you have to name the album artist "various artist" or so and leave the diffrent artists in the artist field.
So my Ipod recognizes teh compilation and in the coverflow I have only one album art with, I think the first artist of the album.

regards,

Globi
Version 5.0.0.2246 Gold
Version 5.0.0.2240 Gold
kuck

Post by kuck »

Hi,

I have just done the following test:

Install 1098 version of MM3 and replace the d_iPod.dll with the one that come with version 1091.

The problem is still the same. There are random write errors popping up.

For me this is an indication that it is not a problem with the dll file, it is more to do with MM itself. Some changes from 1091 to 1098 must have introduced an old bug.

I am back to using 1091 as it was much better for ipod synchronisation.

Oh, by the way, after clicking away the error messages, i get a blue screen every time (with 1098).

:cry:

kuck
rusty

iPod sync problems

Post by rusty »

Kuck,

Can you reproduce the problem with a limited number of tracks and send us a debug log and iPod DB?

-Rusty
x1le

Post by x1le »

I'm still having problems with using MM and iTunes at the same time.

When I rebuild the device library all the podcasts I have synced with iTunes get messed up. They don't appear in "Podcasts" on my Ipod, some are put in "Music" but most of them don't appear at all.

Is anybody using iTunes for Podcasts and MM for music without any problems? Please tell me how you do it.

Is it possible to manage video podcasts with MM?
MMMM

Post by MMMM »

kuck wrote:Too happy too early.

I get the following error when synchronising with the latest beta version 1098:

Cannot delete F:\iPod_Control\Music\F08\Com1.mp3. Access is denied. The file may be in use or you may not have access rights.

Choices are:
OK OK to All Retry

I had this happening in one of the earlier versions, but not in the 1091.

I hope Jiri is reading this.

best regards,

kuck

Kuck,

I have the same problem. I emailed support and they asked me to send them a debug log. I won't be able to do so until later. I see they asked you to do the same here. Have you sent them a debug log?

I thought the problem might be caused by the lack of the "Trim file and/or path name length to 31" option that isn't available in the latest (1098) build, but it's just a guess.

Let me know if you hear or figure out anything. I too went back to the 1091 build so I can use my ipod again.

MMMM
kuck

Post by kuck »

Rusty,

I will give it a shot on the weekend. At the moment, it seems that it is totally random. I need to identify a pattern and obviously make reproducable for you guys.

Expect to hear from me before the weekend ends.

Will do some further testing.

best regards,

kuck
nopayne

I'm having this problem too

Post by nopayne »

it aint that serious wrote:
it aint that serious wrote:hey, i am having some issues with playback on my 160gb classic

some tracks will play the first few seconds (sometimes up to 30, sometimes 3) and then skip to the next song.

these songs play perfectly on my computer, and play perfectly when playing thru mm3 off my ipod.

i have tried to skip past these points where it skips, to see if it will play properly. it will actually play about 3 seconds and then skip ahead. the times show up properly.

any help?
i have also rebuilt the database to no avail
to test, i have removed one of the songs added it again. same problem.

anyone else experiencing this?
Anyone find a work around?
MMMM

Re: I'm having this problem too

Post by MMMM »

nopayne wrote:
it aint that serious wrote: i have also rebuilt the database to no avail
to test, i have removed one of the songs added it again. same problem.

anyone else experiencing this?
Anyone find a work around?
I think I had this problem and that doing a restore via itunes and uninstalling MediaMonkey and reinstalling the latest build helped.
kuck

Post by kuck »

Hi,

Mhh, I dont know what to say. I have been trying to reproduce the problems during the last few hours, but without success.
I have successfully synchronised all 18.000 songs without any problem.

- I have started from scratch, uninstalled 1091, then installed 1098.
- selected about 100 files to be synchronised, then 1000 then 5000
- then selected another 1000 files and a standard playlist
- then selected another 1000 files and a smart playlist

All is working fine now.

The only difference is that before, I had a few plugins installed. Maybe those are responsible for these errors before.

MMMM, do you also have scripts/plugins installed? If so, which ones do you have?

The other thing that I assume could have been the reason for my errors is that the database was somehow corrupt. At some stage, it always tried to upgrade the existing one and never finished. This is not happening anymore.

I will do further testing and if I find out the real problem, I will let you know.

best regards,

kuck
MMMM

Post by MMMM »

kuck wrote:Hi,

Mhh, I dont know what to say. I have been trying to reproduce the problems during the last few hours, but without success.
I have successfully synchronised all 18.000 songs without any problem.

- I have started from scratch, uninstalled 1091, then installed 1098.
- selected about 100 files to be synchronised, then 1000 then 5000
- then selected another 1000 files and a standard playlist
- then selected another 1000 files and a smart playlist

All is working fine now.

The only difference is that before, I had a few plugins installed. Maybe those are responsible for these errors before.

MMMM, do you also have scripts/plugins installed? If so, which ones do you have?

The other thing that I assume could have been the reason for my errors is that the database was somehow corrupt. At some stage, it always tried to upgrade the existing one and never finished. This is not happening anymore.

I will do further testing and if I find out the real problem, I will let you know.

best regards,

kuck
I sent my debug log to Russell Friday evening. I don't have any plugins or scripts installed and have started with a clean database. The error happens when transferring the same 2 mp3 files. This works fine with 1091. If you have anymore questions or suggestions, let me know.

Thanks.

MMMM
monkeyman

Post by monkeyman »

MMMM wrote:
kuck wrote:Too happy too early.

I get the following error when synchronising with the latest beta version 1098:

Cannot delete F:\iPod_Control\Music\F08\Com1.mp3. Access is denied. The file may be in use or you may not have access rights.

Choices are:
OK OK to All Retry

I had this happening in one of the earlier versions, but not in the 1091.

I hope Jiri is reading this.

best regards,

kuck

Kuck,

I have the same problem. I emailed support and they asked me to send them a debug log. I won't be able to do so until later. I see they asked you to do the same here. Have you sent them a debug log?

I thought the problem might be caused by the lack of the "Trim file and/or path name length to 31" option that isn't available in the latest (1098) build, but it's just a guess.

Let me know if you hear or figure out anything. I too went back to the 1091 build so I can use my ipod again.

MMMM
I encountered this problem too with my iPod classic. I think it's the lack of the Trim File and/or path name length to 31" too. I manually cannot create filenames com1.mp3, com2.mp3 and com3.mp3 within any of my drives in Windows XP as it is a reserved name.

Hopefully it is fixed to prevent such names from being used. Every sync I do will keep creating such files as I have a few songs/albums which starts with com*.mp3 in my collection.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

Hello,

when I sync podcasts to my ipod nano 3G; on the device, each episode is listed as a seperate audiobook (under "audiobooks") and there are no podcasts listed under "podcasts"

also, when I synch audiobooks, each file in the same audiobook is listed seperately, they are not grouped together in albums.

does anyone else have these problems?

Dale.
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
DaledeSilva

Post by DaledeSilva »

hello again, as well as my above issue, I also have this major issue posted here:
http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23027
Product Designer & Indie Developer.
Building at the intersection of motion, art, and code.
Find me on twitter and all the other ones here.
kuck

Post by kuck »

MMMM
I encountered this problem too with my iPod classic. I think it's the lack of the Trim File and/or path name length to 31" too. I manually cannot create filenames com1.mp3, com2.mp3 and com3.mp3 within any of my drives in Windows XP as it is a reserved name.

Hopefully it is fixed to prevent such names from being used. Every sync I do will keep creating such files as I have a few songs/albums which starts with com*.mp3 in my collection.
Hi MMMM,

I have the same problem with synchronising titles that start with "com". Maybe I can provide a more detailed description of what is happening.
I am using 3.01.1109 and iPod Classic 160GB with 1.0.3 Firmware. The album that I am trying to snychronise is from the artist "Common Sense"

I have noticed the following happening:
Media Monkey usually puts the songs of the same album into different folders (e.g. from F00 through to F49) In my case the full path would be something like: F:\iPod_Control\Music\F14\a-ha.mp3
The name of the mp3 on the ipod is shortened to 4 letters + the mp3 extension.
When a name is already taken in one of the Fxx folders (which can very likely happen) then it will rename it with a number at the end.
So in the case of my artist "Common Sense" the first one is called "comm.mp3" The second one would be called "com1.mp3" which is not working in MediaMonkey at the moment.
The error message that I get is as follows:
"Problem with copying file H:\MP3\c\Common\Common-BE\03-Common Sense - Go(Feat. John Mayer_Kanye West).mp3 to F:\iPod_Control\Music\F14\Com1.mp3"
My options are "Cancel" "Retry" and "Ignore" -> only "Cancel" works.

I believe this is very easy to reproduce for the mediamonkey developers.
All you really need to do is to change the Artist name of 51 songs to something that starts with "Comm". There are only 50 Fxx folders on the ipod so having 51 songs with the artist beginning with "Comm" will ensure that the renaming to com1.mp3 has to happen.

This has become quite a big thread and I am not sure whether the developers are still following this thread. I hope some feedback will be provided.

This is an error that will very likely not concern everyone, but for people who like "Common Sense" "The Commitments" "Commercial Breakup", "The Commodores", "Communards" or "Communio" it will be a problem. :-)

Thank you.

kuck

PS: if you need any more information, please let me know.
MMMM

Post by MMMM »

The issue is fixed with the latest d_ipod.dll that the developers sent me. I assume that it will be in the next beta.