Need better reporting, with filespec data, not just tag data

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Media_Allen

Need better reporting, with filespec data, not just tag data

Post by Media_Allen »

What I need from reports is two things:
1) an artifact to help me located incomplete media content (data) within my collection, that has evolved over decades.
2) a concise list of all my artist/albums to carry with me, so that I can avoid buying things I already own.

As far as I can tell, the existing output serves neither of these needs well, if at all.

Of course everyone wants something different, but a .CSV (or similar format) with complete filespec, file attributes, and TAG attributes would be a good source file from which users could produce whatever they wanted.

Excel format is OK, but it probably needs to be .XLSX now, and not .XLS, even though it currently isn't natively recognized as either. .CSV can be imported by Excel, or by Access or other programs.

The key deficiency now is that the filespec data is missing! I can't tell WHERE the errant files are on my disc(s)!
The other issue is that Media Monkey can only report what is in the "library" and not directly from a filespec (drives, folders and trees under the "My Computer" section below all the virtual collections.
Lowlander

Re: Need better reporting, with filespec data, not just tag

Post by Lowlander »

Media_Allen

Post by Media_Allen »

Well yes, I suppose learning a scripting language is one way to get the data out, but it doesn't seem quite as user-friendly as just dumping it to a CSV file.

Alternatively I could use an entirely different program that might barf up all the metadata along with file system data. Is there such a utility? I located one once, but it was written using the "UNIX Principle" (if it was hard to write, it should be hard to use).
Peke

Post by Peke »

What Data you actually need to export?
Saving Plain CSV file on selected tracks can be easily made.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Media_Allen

Re: Need better reporting, with filespec data, not just tag data

Post by Media_Allen »

Too much data is spread across Tag data and OS "attributes" data to be able to rely on only one or the other. The data MM(W) outputs as a "report" only seems to include Tag data which can't really be used to produce a useful album list.

Ideally, I'd want all tag data, complete filepath data and all operating system "attributes". The "virtual" nature of MM's media collection data makes it nearly if not totally impossible to crash the two blocks of data together outside of Media Monkey.

It would be outstanding, as a separate issue, if Media Monkey would allow the user to MAP Tag data to OS attributes and merge them. (copy user-accessible Tag data to the OS attributes)
Lowlander

Re: Need better reporting, with filespec data, not just tag data

Post by Lowlander »

Generally what you see in MediaMonkey is what's in the files, the other way around isn't the case for all available data.

Files to Edit > Unsynchronized Tags will show where database data differs from file tag data (only for tags supported by MediaMonkey).