Rollbacks, database backups, etc.

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

KEP

Rollbacks, database backups, etc.

Post by KEP »

Updating to build 1853 recently, I noticed on startup that the database was being updated. As we came to find out, this was a very troublesome build! Had I not had the time, inclination, or skills to help out with debugging it... It'd be so nice to have some sort of rollback feature! Or, at the very least, an offer to backup the database before it's updated.

I'm mainly wondering what would've happened had I wanted to (or simply had to!) try reinstalling an older, more stable version? Would I even have been able to, given the database had been updated? Totally(!!!) appreciate the extremely pro-active response to bug reports here, but sometimes one simply has to "get the job done" and won't be able to wait for new bug fixes to be developed.

Thanks for your consideration!
Lowlander

Re: Rollbacks, database backups, etc.

Post by Lowlander »

Most updates allow you to use the DB with an older version. Also on big database updates a copy of the old database is made as a prexxx file.
KEP

Post by KEP »

Lowlander wrote:Most updates allow you to use the DB with an older version. Also on big database updates a copy of the old database is made as a prexxx file.
Oh, that's very good news! Not a common situation at all, so I'd not even considered it before with MM.

Is a "big database update" another way of saying one that makes breaking changes? So such would always include a backup?

Thanks!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

When the database changes significantly it's done. I don't know if all 4.x DB's are backwards compatible with all older 4.x release, but the current 5.x is backwards compatible with 4.x.

I'd backup the database regularly and also do incremental updates occasionally so I could return to an earlier moment if needed. Knock on wood, I've been with the same DB for 13 years.
KEP

Post by KEP »

Yeah, I've never had to rollback MM or lost a DB, and it wasn't a good feeling to think I'd gotten complacent with backing-up that database, but it hit me when the new build started crashing. So good to know it's not generally going to be a breaking change. I don't think I've been using it that long, but close! :)