Alexa Skill Possible?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

dusin1

Alexa Skill Possible?

Post by dusin1 »

Is there any possibility there could be an Alexa Skill developed so my echo can access and play
my mp3s?
abharku

Re: Alexa Skill Possible?

Post by abharku »

Look at Starfish Audio which allows you to play your mp3 file stored in your Micorsoft One drive account. You get 5Gb of storage from Microsoft for free account
Peke

Post by Peke »

Cloud storage support is developed for MM5 which should solve Echo not being able to access MP3s.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
James Molloy

Post by James Molloy »

Please don't take offence as none is intended. From my point of view a cloud solution is very restrictive and likely to be expensive, on an ongoing basis. It's a solution that could only work for a few people. Could that be stage 2, with Alexa control being step one.

1) So that you appreciate I'm not saying that just to be difficult..free services tend to be limited in size. Anyone with a collection stored as FLAC files will decimate any free offerings and end up paying money every month just to store their collection that's already on their PC or phone. Anyone with a large collection, FLAC or otherwise, will hit the same issue.

2) Will cloud storage allow you to make Auto playlists like I have on media monkey. Not a chance...so ignoring anything else it's definitely an inferior option

3) Not everyone has access to fast broadband, anyone not in a big city in the UK will be lucky to get vaguely fast broadband. Many won't even be able to get that.

4) If you have a PC or laptop with Media Monkey Gold on it, with all your music, connected to an amp, or better yet a streaming player (like sonos or Musiccast) you may just want to control media monkey on that PC without having to run upstairs every 5 minutes. In my case that PC happens to be connected to a whole home music system (it streams to it) and I only want to use alexa to control that PC because the dot I have would make a pitiful rendering of any music I might want to play.

I've tried products like Media Monkey Remote. I found it to be great when it works, but very hinkey in the old "dependably starting up" department. I also find repeatedly looking for my phone, unlocking it, starting an app, clicking loads a little cumbersome.

...So I think Alexa control of the app would be brilliant (without my dot even trying to play anything)

Put another way, I've started looking at sorting out a plex server as MM just can't be used in this way and it's looking like it never will. I'd much prefer sticking to media monkey.

Anyway, that's my two pence worth