MM shutdown with network error

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

kvon

MM shutdown with network error

Post by kvon »

I run MM on a windows machine, with a network connection to the media server where the music library lives. In a perfect world I would never do this, but occasionally I do absentmindedly shut down the server machine, forgetting that my MM session is still active on the other computer. When this happens the MM shutdown process on the client end is painful, time consuming and very user un-friendly. It takes a couple of minutes, and requires dismissing (approx) 5-7 error dialogues with esoteric SQL error messages.

At MM shutdown, if the network connection or the server/DB file is not detected, how about a smart shutdown process with a simple popup saying something like "network connection, or MM DB file is not detected - what would you like to do? Shutdown anyways, retry, etc"

Thanks,
kvon

Re: MM shutdown with network error

Post by kvon »

I'm bumping this post, because I've found the same headache in a different scenario: I run MM portable on an external hard drive, and if you happen to disconnect that hard drive before shutting down MM you get the same lengthy, painful series of error messages prior to shutdown. Seems that an easy fix for both cases would be to detect if the MM database is available at shutdown, and if it's not then do a graceful shtudown without the DB connection.
Peke

Re: MM shutdown with network error

Post by Peke »

Hi,
Unfortunately that is not possible as it would be the same to that your stick shift gearbox on your running car would know when you will release the clutch pedal while you are in gear and turn it off before it stalls or you will eventually break the car. Same is with MMW it throw you warnings and error to warn you not to do anymore or you will eventually corrupt your library and lost it.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts