Advanced Edit Mode

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

dave@accuauto.com

Advanced Edit Mode

Post by dave@accuauto.com »

I have been using MM forever, as a player, but more importantly as a tool to coerce tunes to a common format and normalized tags. To date personal library exceeds 268,000 tunes. That's a lots of work.

What I am suggesting is an Advance Edit Mode, similar to Party Mode, but not the default. When in this mode, certain functions are added or altered to make the editing experience quicker, less prone to error and more enjoyable. The following lists some examples of what I would like to see in such a mode.

1. Disable tooltips in the main grid. They simply get in the way and only show tag info that you are editing anyway.
2. Disable double click (to play.) When editing, quite often what happens is consecutive single clicks become double clicks and playing the tune is not what is desired. Usually this occurs on changing selection (click) and entering in-place editing (click again.) Perhaps the default function in this mode for a double click should be enter in-place editing.
3. Some kind of simple renumbering wizard. A very common editing chore is to reduce multi-CD albums to a "linear address space". Who actually makes CD anymore? So I want to re-enumerate an album such that tunes on subsequent disks receive the next available # resulting in a flat numbering scheme. Further the :Auto-Organize Files" tool could be used (seamlessly) to produce unique file names so they may all be moved to a common target folder.
4. A mechanism to remove any tag fields not editable by MM.
5. A verify function. Lists warnings about invalid and duplicate fields (like multiple comments.)
6. Add album art. Ensure the CD cover is the first image. Your rules for figuring that out are pretty good.)
Lowlander

Re: Advanced Edit Mode

Post by Lowlander »

1) Tooltips can be disabled (Tools > Options > Appearance).
2) Double click behavior can be changed, F2 can be use to in-line edit.
3) There is a build in auto-numbering (Tools > Scripts > Auto-increment Track#'s) and Addons like RegExp Find & Replace are more powerful.
4) I assume this is possible using Tools > Advanced Tag Management > Clean ID3v1 & V2 Tags and then synchronizing them.
5) MediaMonkey isn't a raw tag editor, it would be nice, but I don't assume this will get added.
TLD

Post by TLD »

Hi, team;

Related to this question, would it possible to have MediaMonkey show you the tags for a file without them being in the fields? (A "raw" view?) This would allow the viewing (and possibly removing) of the non-standard tags, as dave noted.

-

Also, another advanced tagging feature would be a "clean-up" where files where the track has multiple entries can be sorted
for example, I have a Christmas album of Bing Crosby and the Andrews Sisters...
I noticed today that some tracks had
Crosby, Bing; Andrews Sisters, The
while others had
Andrews Sisters; The; Crosby, Bing

A way to have the system "sort" these at users' request would be nice. (There's probably a plugin to do so if I went hunting for it... but as it just came up today, it's fresh on my mind.)

Just a couple thoughts to add for this idea, too.
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Not sure exactly what you are requesting, but:

There is info that is in a file and shows in MM that isn't editable and there are metadata fields that don't represent info in a file (unique to MM).
If you simply don't want to view some or all of those fields you can disable the columns for them (maybe create a collection (gold), with a custom
column view).

MM's Advanced Tag Management has a tag cleaner. The idea would be to clean the files tag but it would remain in the metadata.
But if you wanted to clean both, you'd have to do the metainfo separately (manually or with add-on).
However, if it is a field that isn't editable in MM, it likely isn't editable in the file without 3rd party software that is capable.
The add-on RegExp Find & Replace can edit some of those difficult-to-get-at fields.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜
NewtonBoy

Post by NewtonBoy »

I'd like something similar as well. lowlander's response seems to have missed the point of the request. Since I want something I believe is similar, I'd like to take a shot at explaining it.

I believe dave@accuauto.com is looking for a configuration profile. We'd like the ability to have these settings available as a mode that we can enable. That way, when I want to work on tagging, I can enable the mode, and go about my business. When I'm done, I turn off that mode, and go back to the way I want MediaMonkey configured when I'm just playing music.

This will prevent having to make changes to multiple locations in the settings, and then having to remember those settings to return them to the previous state. I've used multiple .ini files to accomplish things like this as a work around, but it would be nice to have a more "official" process.
Media Monkey Gold 4.1.14.1813 Portable
Windows 10 anniversary, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Library on External drive
14MB Media Monkey Database
929 GB Library
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Sounds like a very different request and it looks like Party Mode would cover this.
NewtonBoy

Post by NewtonBoy »

Well, I tried.
Media Monkey Gold 4.1.14.1813 Portable
Windows 10 anniversary, i5, 8GB Ram, 256GB SSD, Library on External drive
14MB Media Monkey Database
929 GB Library
MMFrLife

Post by MMFrLife »

Some of this is a nice idea, but fairly complex to implement in "entirety". With MM5 around the corner (hopefully!!!), I wouldn't wait around for this
to happen anytime soon, if at all. Here are my thoughts, comments.

The main idea would be to have an editing mode that enables/disables "multiple elements" simultaneously simply by the act of using it or not using it
(because it is preconfigured to do so):

1.) Tooltips can be disabled, but it's dichotomous. I agree it would be nice if you could configure them to show only
on certain elements of the GUI or in specified situations.
2.) You can configure clicks in the playback rules, but the advantage of the mode would be to keep from having to go in/out back/forth to options
every time you have an editing session.
4.) I'm assuming you mean for visual purposes only; make for a cleaner less confusing edit layout?
5.) Can you elaborate on that. Do you mean compare a file(s) with other files or something that is intrafile?
6.) I assume this would be sketchy as to quality, size, etc. and there is already auto-tag from web. What are your issues with that?
3.) RegExp Find & Replace can likely do all of that. I'm currently working on a major REFR project to semi-automate everything (enhanced version)
and I'm nearing the finish line. I also number my multi-discs to a single running order and I'm currently about to look into using REFR's move presets
to move multi-discs to single location before auto-organize for general use.

Anyway, it is only somewhat similar to Party Mode in "principle", but that won't currently cover the request.
MM user since 2003 (lifetime lic. 2012) "Trying to imagine life without music gives me a headache"
Top 2 scripts: RegExp Find & Replace (e.v.) and Magic Nodes (e.v.) ZvezdanD's scripts site
Please take a moment to read the bottom of the linked page to support the one and only - ZvezdanD! (the "originator" since 2006).
MMW 4.1.31.1919; 5.0.4.2690 || back it up...frequently!
|| software for power users: "Q-Dir" (free alt. to explorer) and file/folder renamer: "ReNamer" (den4b)
"The absurd is the essential concept and the first truth"
😜