Scan at Startup doesn't exclude folders

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

nohitter151

Re: Scan at Startup doesn't exclude folders

Post by nohitter151 »

Brains59 wrote: I can't see any purpose to the tick boxes next to the folders. At least for me they don't seem to do anything. Maybe I am missing a point somewhere???
The boxes next to the folders are for a manual scan.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

Brains59 wrote:Sorry if this has already been answered but there is a lot of related information on this thread, but I think my experience here might help some peoples understanding here.

I have been getting confused with how you select what gets scanned. I previously thought that you need to tick "scan on start up", and then go ahead ticking the folders you actually want to scan on start up.

After experimenting I have found that you actually need to select (not tick) a folder you want to scan at start up 1st, then tick scan at start up, then you see the folder icon change to a sort of curly arrow. Monitoring on start up then starts working for that folder.

I can't see any purpose to the tick boxes next to the folders. At least for me they don't seem to do anything. Maybe I am missing a point somewhere???
I fully agree with the need for that page to be restructured .. with better layout for defining the function of checkboxes or continuous or ... there appears to have been a concerted effort to put all things into one little page .. not user friendly. I hope that the new version will have included a lot of the layout changes suggested here and else where for newbies
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
slemay

Post by slemay »

Sorry to bring back an old thread - but it seems to be a problem I'm having today with the latest version. I wrongfully assumed the same thing - select M:\Music - and then uncheck a folder I don't want to be scanned and it would skip that folder on auto-scans - not the case... it does scan it.

The problem in my case, is that the NAS I use creates a folder called "trashbox" and anytime MediaMonkey modifies a file, it actually creates a copy and then deletes it (I'm fine with this EXCEPT...) - now that duplicate file that gets moved to the trashbox now gets scanned by MediaMonkey and re-added to the library. I see where I can exclude this folder from being media managed (so it won't try and re-add it to the folder structure) - but it still adds the tags back into my MediaMonkey database.

Is there not some sort of registry edit, or config file, or something we can edit to tell it to exclude this folder??? Can the developers not add this feature? It appears to be there in the GUI (as many others in this thread have pointed out - but it doesn't function that way). Thanks.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You need to set the trashcan to hidden or add your media files to a separate folder that you select to scan (so it doesn't include the trashcan in its selection).