Scan at Startup doesn't exclude folders

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Scan at Startup doesn't exclude folders

Post by Lowlander »

I'm a user. However this isn't possible as there is no easy way of letting the user know that folders are excluded. Folder Monitoring (which works independent from manual scanning which is done on left side) will scan everything in the listed folders.

You should be able to exclude folders with a workaround as MediaMonkey is supposed to ignore hidden files. Thus setting those files you want excluded as hidden should exclude them from being added (they won't be removed if they're already in the Library).
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

Lowlander wrote:I'm a user. However this isn't possible as there is no easy way of letting the user know that folders are excluded.
Respectfully, as a user, you don't know that. What research have you done?

I am also a user, but I am also software developer with 10 years experience, and I can think of numerous ways to correctly implement this functionality.

Windows already provides a way of notifying the user of deselected items in a tree by providing a tri-state checkbox. A tick means all subfolders are selected, an empty box means no subfolders are selected, and a filled square means a mixture of selected and unselected subfolders. Simple.

If you think this is too complicated for users to understand, then imagine how confusing and misleading the current implementation of the user interface is where you can deselect folders and it has *no effect*.

If the developers' main concern is that it's too difficult to notify users of deselected folders, then they really haven't thought that interface through properly. Using checkboxes against a tree (as in the current interface) is the wrong method. Instead, a dual window with the left pane showing all folders, and a button in between to add/remove folders to a watchlist in the right pane would be far more intuitive.
Lowlander wrote:Folder Monitoring (which works independent from manual scanning which is done on left side) will scan everything in the listed folders.
Sorry - I didn't understand this sentence. Can you explain what you meant?
Lowlander wrote:You should be able to exclude folders with a workaround as MediaMonkey is supposed to ignore hidden files. Thus setting those files you want excluded as hidden should exclude them from being added (they won't be removed if they're already in the Library).
That will also hide files and folders from windows searches, which will make it difficult to manage, and making them more difficult to access and use in other programs. Also, as explained in one of my earlier posts, this is no good if MediaMonkey is responsible for creating these files and folders in the first place, since there is no way to tell it to default to creating hidden files/folders.

In short, setting files/folders to 'hidden' would cause more problems than it would solve.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

The 'correct' or workaround for this is to "Monitor" or "scan at startup" each subfolder individually, rather than the parent.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

nohitter151 wrote:The 'correct' or workaround for this is to "Monitor" or "scan at startup" each subfolder individually, rather than the parent.
So, it *is* a bug then?
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nanite2000 wrote:
nohitter151 wrote:The 'correct' or workaround for this is to "Monitor" or "scan at startup" each subfolder individually, rather than the parent.
So, it *is* a bug then?
No. For the example you posted earlier, as I said, you shouldn't scan "Music" folder at startup. Instead, select each folder individually that you want scanned at startup.

I think you are all confused about the meaning of the check marks. Check marks only indicate what is scanned during a manual scan, eg. when you press the "OK" button.

The icons are what indicate what is to be scanned at startup or monitored. In the case of parent folders, for these two scanning options (indicated by the blue icons), subfolders are also always included.

nanite2000

Post by nanite2000 »

nohitter151 wrote:
nanite2000 wrote:So, it *is* a bug then?
No. For the example you posted earlier, as I said, you shouldn't scan "Music" folder at startup. Instead, select each folder individually that you want scanned at startup.

I think you are all confused about the meaning of the check marks. Check marks only indicate what is scanned during a manual scan, eg. when you press the "OK" button.
The user interface is confusing because there is no explanation of how it's supposed to work, so we can only go by what we see. And what we see is deselected folders being scanned despite appearing to be excluded from the list of monitored folders.

If the user interface allows the user to do things the program doesn't support, then maybe it's time to either re-evaluate the user interface, or add support for the functionality that the user interface appears to support.
dtsig

Post by dtsig »

I agree about the user interface. In this case there are 3 very different things that can happen ... scan now any folders checked, set folders for autoscan and both scan now and set folders for autoscan.

The "Scan Now" section should have its own OK button. It just doesn't make real design sense as it is
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nanite2000 wrote:
If the user interface allows the user to do things the program doesn't support, then maybe it's time to either re-evaluate the user interface, or add support for the functionality that the user interface appears to support.
That isn't the case. You apparently just don't understand the UI. I'll agree that it isn't exactly intuitive, but it works as intended.

dtsig

Post by dtsig »

nohitter151 wrote:
nanite2000 wrote:
That isn't the case. You apparently just don't understand the UI. I'll agree that it isn't exactly intuitive, but it works as intended.
Oh i don't doubt that it " .. works as intended ... " but the telling bit is " ... it isn't exactly intuitive ... ". Isn't making it intuitive where it should be heading.
Where's the db and ini stored
Reporting Bugs
Where tags are stored

Not affiliated with MediaMonkey ... just a RABID user/lover
DTSig
rovingcowboy

Post by rovingcowboy »

Lowlander wrote:I can't reproduce. If I deselect a single child from a parent the parent no longer is showing selected (checkmark) instead it is showing a square indicating a partial selection.
this is also correct in how it works in mm 3.
and in mm 3 all unchecked folders are not scanned.
roving cowboy / keith hall. My skins http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... =9&t=16724 for some help check on Monkey's helpful messages at http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... 4008#44008 MY SYSTEMS.1.Jukebox WinXp pro sp 3 version 3.5 gigabyte mb. 281 GHz amd athlon x2 240 built by me.) 2.WinXP pro sp3, vers 2.5.5 and vers 3.5 backup storage, shuttle 32a mb,734 MHz amd athlon put together by me.) 3.Dell demension, winxp pro sp3, mm3.5 spare jukebox.) 4.WinXp pro sp3, vers 3.5, dad's computer bought from computer store. )5. Samsung Galaxy A51 5G Android ) 6. amd a8-5600 apu 3.60ghz mm version 4 windows 7 pro bought from computer store.
wipfler

why does MM re-scan on every open of MM?

Post by wipfler »

Thing is, I Import 90,000 files, this takes forever.. I close MM.. open it again, it it re-does the whole process.. ?? What gives ? is it not remembering what it already did.. this is very annoying. I have all the settings correct in the options.. but it still does it.. every time I open MM, it acts like it forgets everything it imported, can't it skip what is already imported, and just add new files?
wipfler

Post by wipfler »

And, I have to add, I does not just scan, but it adds all the info to the library, as if it was new, but it already did it.. so why does this slooooow process have to happen every time I open MM?... again.. I have the options set correctly .. it should not do this. I've set the option to scan continuously, but not at start up.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

It all depends on your settings. If you enabled Folder Monitoring's Startup Scan it will rescan each startup (set under File > Add/Rescan Files). Additional settings under Tools > Options > Library control re-reading of tags for existing files.

Note that the Now Playing reads from files (as it can contain non-Library files) and the My Computer node does the same for the same reason. Limit your Now Playing for faster start and use a Library node instead of My Computer.
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

wipfler wrote:And, I have to add, I does not just scan, but it adds all the info to the library, as if it was new, but it already did it.. so why does this slooooow process have to happen every time I open MM?... again.. I have the options set correctly .. it should not do this. I've set the option to scan continuously, but not at start up.
You have set some folders to scan at startup. Look at the icons next to the folder names. If it is not a picture of a little folder, then it means it's set to scan at startup.

You need to click on those folders and uncheck "Scan at startup"

Brains59

Post by Brains59 »

Sorry if this has already been answered but there is a lot of related information on this thread, but I think my experience here might help some peoples understanding here.

I have been getting confused with how you select what gets scanned. I previously thought that you need to tick "scan on start up", and then go ahead ticking the folders you actually want to scan on start up.

After experimenting I have found that you actually need to select (not tick) a folder you want to scan at start up 1st, then tick scan at start up, then you see the folder icon change to a sort of curly arrow. Monitoring on start up then starts working for that folder.

I can't see any purpose to the tick boxes next to the folders. At least for me they don't seem to do anything. Maybe I am missing a point somewhere???