Syncing single songs to iPod renders Cover Flow useless

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

popper

Syncing single songs to iPod renders Cover Flow useless

Post by popper »

The Problem

Apart from carrying around full albums on my iPod touch 3G, I also have a range of single songs that I like to hear, but where I don't own the complete album. My very personal "One hit wonders", so to say.

Now, when I sync my MediaMonkey library with my iPod, this will also copy these single songs to the iPod. And the iPod will provide each of them with an entry in the cover flow: each single song gets an album cover of their own, but this album contains only one song. So if I sync 100 single songs, this will spam my Cover Flow with 100 additional (useless) covers. This leads to the effect that I don't like to use Cover Flow any more, and I really miss it. Cover Flow was one of the big points for me to get an iPod.

The Idea

All those single songs on my iPod should have an Album Artist of "Various Artists" and the Album Title should be something like "Popper's One Hit Wonders". This way, they would all show up in Cover Flow under one single Album Cover.
Of course, I don't want to change the tags of these songs permanently, so i would like to have an option in the sync dialogue to change these values upon syncing, based on certain criteria (e.g. if the song is located in a certain path, the change should be done).

What do you think of this? Have you noticed this annoyance yourself? Do you support this request? Do you have another idea on how to solve this problem? Duplicating the songs is not an option for me.

Thanks for you consideration,
popper
nohitter151

Re: Syncing single songs to iPod renders Cover Flow useless

Post by nohitter151 »

I would not use it, I want my metadata to be correct everywhere, even on the iPod.

But I could see how it could be useful for some users. Tag remapping on the fly is already requested: http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=5052

In the above scenario, you could store your extra info into a custom field, and remap it for those tracks.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Onweerwolf

Re: Syncing single songs to iPod renders Cover Flow useless

Post by Onweerwolf »

popper wrote:The Idea

All those single songs on my iPod should have an Album Artist of "Various Artists" and the Album Title should be something like "Popper's One Hit Wonders". This way, they would all show up in Cover Flow under one single Album Cover.
Of course, I don't want to change the tags of these songs permanently, so i would like to have an option in the sync dialogue to change these values upon syncing, based on certain criteria (e.g. if the song is located in a certain path, the change should be done).

What do you think of this? Have you noticed this annoyance yourself? Do you support this request? Do you have another idea on how to solve this problem? Duplicating the songs is not an option for me.
This is exactly what I do. I've even made my own artwork for all the single songs and it works perfectly. Of course this means you will lose the 'album tag' but since those albums aren't complete to begin with that doesn't really matter to me.