Optionally RELATIVE paths in the MM database!

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Peter Panino

Relative paths in MediaMonkey?

Post by Peter Panino »

As far as I understand MM uses absolute paths in its database to reference the audio files on the hard disk. This creates problems when the directory containing the audio files is moved to a different hard disk or a different volume. (I keep all my audio files referenced by MM in one single directory). So, is there an option in MM to define a root directory for all the audio files (e.g. in Options) and then use relative paths to this root directory in the MM database?
Lowlander

Re: Relative paths in MediaMonkey?

Post by Lowlander »

No, but you can use MediaMonkey to move the files and you won't have this problem.
Peter Panino

Optionally RELATIVE paths in the MM database!

Post by Peter Panino »

Actually all paths inside the MM database referencing the audio files are absolute paths. This creates a lot of problems in many different situations.

So there should be an option to keep all paths referencing the audio files as RELATIVE paths! In the program Options dialog a general Root Directory for all audio files is defined. So, when for example for whatever reason the drive letter of the drive/partition/volume where the audio files are located changes the user only has to change the root directory in the Options dialog.

This would be very useful and would fit all users as it would be optional.
Lowlander

Re: Optionally RELATIVE paths in the MM database!

Post by Lowlander »

I don't think this would be all that useful.

- You can use MediaMonkey to move files and Auto-Organize is a powerful way to do so
- You can use the File Monitor and move files outside of MediaMonkey while it's running
- You have Locate Moved/Missing, and if it's flaws are fixed you can easily find your tracks again
- Those who have 2 or more locations for music would either require a complex setup or not be able to use this
- DriveID change handling improvements have been discussed (like auto detection or manual drive letter change in Location node) as the current method to change DriveID through script is complex (it annoys me that this hasn't been implemented yet)
Peter Panino

Post by Peter Panino »

You can use MediaMonkey to move files and Auto-Organize is a powerful way to do so
If Windows for any reason unexpectedly changes the drive letters it is too late to do this.
You have Locate Moved/Missing, and if it's flaws are fixed you can easily find your tracks again
This is too cumbersome. My proposal is much more simple without involving lengthy file scans.
Those who have 2 or more locations for music would either require a complex setup or not be able to use this
As I said, this could be optional. So people with 2 or more locations for music could simply avoid this option (default: Off). Instead, it would create a HUGE BENEFIT for people who keep their audio files in one single directory.
manual drive letter change in Location node
This would be a VERY GOOD additional solution! Please implement it!
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Windows can change drive letters all it wants, it won't cause any problems with MediaMonkey as it doesn't use them. The issue is with DriveID and this can be solved by Locate Moved/Missing or proposals around DriveID change handling like auto-detection. Even if relative paths were available these features need to be enhanced/implemented in my opinion thus negating the need for relative paths. I think relative paths is a more complex solution to this problem than necessary.
Peter Panino

Post by Peter Panino »

The issue is with DriveID
Which "DriveID" do you mean? Do you mean Volume Name or Device Name?

Edit: Or do you mean the Volume serial number? (Not the hardware disk serial number).
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Yes, serial number.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Peter Panino

Post by Peter Panino »

Lowlander wrote:The issue is with DriveID and this can be solved by Locate Moved/Missing or proposals around DriveID change handling like auto-detection.
Does this mean that when I:
1. add a new hard-disk to my computer,
2. then copy the directory structure with the MM audio files to the new hard-disk to recreate the same directory-structure there,
3. then give the volume on the new hard-disk the same drive-letter as the old drive (of course after changing the drive-letter of the old hard-disk volume,

does it mean that this will NOT WORK because the DriveID on the new Volume is different from the DriveID on the old volume, ALTHOUGH the drive-letter and the directory-structure are the same????? Please don't tell me that this is true ...
nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

Peter Panino wrote:
Lowlander wrote:The issue is with DriveID and this can be solved by Locate Moved/Missing or proposals around DriveID change handling like auto-detection.
Does this mean that when I:
1. add a new hard-disk to my computer,
2. then copy the directory structure with the MM audio files to the new hard-disk to recreate the same directory-structure there,
3. then give the volume on the new hard-disk the same drive-letter as the old drive (of course after changing the drive-letter of the old hard-disk volume,

does it mean that this will NOT WORK because the DriveID on the new Volume is different from the DriveID on the old volume, ALTHOUGH the drive-letter and the directory-structure are the same????? Please don't tell me that this is true ...
Yes, that's right. There are programs available so you can manually change the Serial volume number on a hard drive, or you can also just use a DB editor tool to update the serial number in the MM database.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

FYI, it's set up like that because there are individuals who have their music stored on external drives. Thus, if they plug their external in first then it might be assigned to Drive G, but if they were to plug in a USB stick first, then the external, the external then might be assigned to Drive H (unless the user has taken steps to assign it a letter, like mine is M... for music, lol). This way allows the music to still work, regardless of how many drives may be plugged in and which order they are.

Like NoHitter says, there's (easy) was of changing the Drive ID in the database, so if the structure is the same then you make that small change and you're good to go.
Peter Panino

Post by Peter Panino »

Sorry that I have to say this, but this is so silly that I can't believe it! There are other methods to make a drive unique which are much easier to handle: For example, put an invisible GUID file in the root of the drive, or give the Volume a unique name, etc. Having to mess around with tools that change the Volume ID is extremely dangerous because other programs or low level settings could depend from it! And having to edit the database with a database tool is also dangerous because many users who are not programmers may accidentally damage important data!
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

There's no need to change the Volume ID or anything that drastic, or use a "database tool" to make the necessary change in the database. You could if you wanted to, but there is already a script that does the necessary change to the database, and is pretty straight forward. You're making this out to be far more complicated than it actually is.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In your scenario you're moving files, thus you can move them with MediaMonkey or while the File Monitor is running outside of MediaMonkey.

The DriveID method is actually very solid when it comes to managing media on portable drives. The problem with using DriveID is when drives fail and backups are used. In this scenario you'd be stuck using the change DriveID script. In all other situations a solution is available like using MediaMonkey to move files or using the File Monitor to track file moves outside of MediaMonkey. Even if a user fails to use either method there is the Located Moved/Missing to help fix things.

Improving the success rate of Locate Moved/Missing would help improve things and the ability to within MediaMonkey change the DriveID (right click on drive in Location node and point to correct drive to have DriveID updated would be a quick tool) would go a long way to improve this for users.

Most users running into issues with DriveID are those who didn't follow MediaMonkey procedures for file moving. I doubt they would setup relative paths to prevent this issue from happening as they don't follow current preventative measures either.

Also see: http://www.mediamonkey.com/wiki/index.p ... w_computer
windunce

Re:ply

Post by windunce »

This is what I always do when transferring files to a new hard drive.
It has always worked for me. I call it my Grecian Formula.
Gets rid of all the GRAY :)

http://www.mediamonkey.com/forum/viewto ... me#p291753