Multiple Libraries?

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Lowlander

Re: Multiple Libraries?

Post by Lowlander »

If you're worried about the kids messing with your music:
1) Teach them not too.
2) Setup separate accounts with only read permissions on your music. This is much better than password protection in MediaMonkey as it prevents them from messing with the files outside of MediaMonkey and prevents any malware they get their hands on from messing with the files. I use the same, only one user account on one PC has write permissions as that's used to edit the songs, everybody else has only read permission thus protecting my music. For me it's just malware protection. You also have to consider that having multiple libraries wouldn't prevent the kids from scanning in your music in their library and messing with the tags. (One Add/Rescan Tracks in your library and the tags are messed up in your library too).

If you're worried about the kids messing with their music:
1) A filter is enough as you want to hide their music.

Also Onkel_enno's database switcher works well and would probably work in a similar manner than a build in method. The only thing that you need to do is to start MediaMonkey with the database switcher.

All this doesn't mean that I don't support the idea of multiple libraries, but I do understand given the available options that this is not necessarily as high on the priority list of the developers. I also assume that it might be hard to implement an in program database switch.
redelephant

Post by redelephant »

Well said Ynox. Your post echoes my sentiments posted a couple of years ago. I still think MM is great and I'm still using it (paid for Gold too), but I don't bother posting to the wishlist any more, because there seems to be no point. Also some regular contributors seem to get overexcited if you don't subscribe to their point of view.....
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

There's good reason to post as many wishes do get included. But with hundreds of outstanding wishes decisions have to be made. I have wishes that never happened either, we probably all do, but that's the way things work. So keep posting your wishes and maybe they'll get added.
over

Post by over »

Okay...I'm going to post my wish again to have multiple libraries. No need to go into filters, etc. It's been all covered before. I'm using "Select Library" and it works okay and I'm grateful for it...but build it in more completely please. A long time "Gold" user...who still thinks MM is the greatest!
MusicBringer

Post by MusicBringer »

over wrote:Okay...I'm going to post my wish again to have multiple libraries. No need to go into filters, etc. It's been all covered before. I'm using "Select Library" and it works okay and I'm grateful for it...but build it in more completely please. A long time "Gold" user...who still thinks MM is the greatest!
Alright...I'm going to second your wish to have multiple libraries :P
Like you, a very long time Gold user...who still thinks MM is the greatest.
:D
MediaMonkey user since 2006
kitkat

Post by kitkat »

Multiple libraries open at once would be great, so I could drag-and-drop and eventually get all my stored-in-the-database-rather-than-the-file metadata into one library.

Thanks so much!
Timo_Beil

Post by Timo_Beil »

It's probably not the right thread, but I see the feature "Multiple Libraries" from an other point.
I don't need ML with different content (discussed before).
But what's about replicating the same content between different locations?
A NAS or a server in combination with some stationary PCs and a mobile PC is not very unusual.
But how to synchronize these "Multiple Librarys?
A centralized DB on the server would work locally, if it is has multi user capabilities (SQlite doesn't).
But there is no easy way to sync mediafiles and DB with a mobile PC bidirectionally.

One way synchronization is time consuming:
1. Export all your Playlists as m3u.
2. Synchronize the media files and playlists using an external programm to prevent disturbing the structure with MM-sync.
3. Rescan your complete media folder on the target PC.
4. Copy the m3u into MM playlists.
Bidirectional replication without data loss is impossible.

I would like to have a multi user database that can be replicated between multiple locations.

Timo
MM 2024.0.0.3005-port-DE, Win 11 pro, I7-6700, 16GB RAM,
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

You can use the Virtual CD, but local DB would be needed when off the network.
samba52

Post by samba52 »

I too would like to be able to operate two libraries without re-starting MM or doing anything more complicated than pushing a button on the screen.

I currently have a library of FLAC files I have created through EAC. I also have a DVD full of MP3 files that are songs I don't have on CDs. I would nonetheless like to be able to listen to the MP3s at times, without "adulterating" my library of high-quality FLAC files with low-quality MP3.

I'm currently thinking of just using iTunes or similar for the MP3s and keeping MM for FLAC. If I take the approach of two different players, is there one I should try in lieu of iTunes that may be better?
Donski

Post by Donski »

This has all been discussed before, the way to do it is with Filters. It works far better than having to deal with actual multiple libraries because you don't have to add the same track to both. You just need to learn how to use it.

In the Options of MM under Library you have Filters & Views. Add a filter and configure it to only show what you want. This way you can view just the FLAC files or just the MP3 files or whatever you like. With the filters icon in the toolbar, it's just a matter of 3 clicks to switch to the other library. Click the icon, the library you want, then OK. And of course you have the ability to view everything in the same library.

I've gone so far as to use one of the custom fields to separate the tracks I don't always need to see, this way I can hide the rarely used tracks. There are discs that have songs with intros and those make up two separate tracks, I've combined them into single tracks and saved them as their own MP3s. Now in the 1st custom field I say hide and the original separate tracks are hidden from view while leaving those tracks intact.
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

I'm trying to set up multiple library's because I use 5 diffrent external harddrive's. 5tb in total. Till this far Mediamonkey 3.02.1294 worked in good order. 3.02.1294. On XP
Now I want to set up a librabry thats display only en certain fil/map on a certain drive. How do I configure this??
If I select map/file option Enter Drive letter "i:" I get to see the drive but how do I configure the for example map Top 40??

Please help!
Thanks!
Twinkle

Post by Twinkle »

Got it, harddrive needs to be on. :lol:
This is not the case if you view the complete library. 8) *It takes a lot more of time working this way when you have a large library like me :roll:
I bet with a good cpu you wont encounter problems with mm
Eduardo

Post by Eduardo »

I'm reviving this thread because one of the things I whish my mediaplayer to have is multiple libraries. Mediamonkey is one of the best media players on the market, but this is the only reason I'm not buying it yet.
Scuzzball

Post by Scuzzball »

I'm trying to get multiple libraries so I can edit tags and sort music without interfering with my main library. I got a bunch of music that I'm not sure I want, so I need to tag and sort it, but I don't want it in my library yet.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Filters can filter those tracks out. I use 2 locations one for the main library one for unedited tracks and through filters I can hide the unedited tracks whenever I don't want to see them.