ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064][#2915]

Help improve MediaMonkey 5 by testing the latest pre-release builds, and reporting bugs and feature requests.

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064]

Post by Peke »

Only app that we know use it is one that introduced them eg. iTunes. Feature is planned for MM5.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
Lowlander

Re: ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064]

Post by Lowlander »

PeterXXX

Re: ARTISTSORT Tag field [#9064][#2915]

Post by PeterXXX »

Hi Peke, as far as I know the tags ARTISTSORT, ALBUMARTISTSORT, COMPOSERSORT, ... are common tag fields and very useful in maintaining big libraries. To fill them in I have to use 'mp3tag'. I moved my library to a Synology-NAS where 'minim server' is running for UPnP/DLNA connectivity, also supporting these tags.
Checking the forum for ARTISTSORT showed some thausend entries from 2010 to now, most of them putting it on the wishlist.
Could it be so difficult integrating these tags into MM and treating them the same way as the original tags ARTIST and so on?
For years I'm still a fan of MM which I still use to maintain my music, but would rather like to find John McLauglin under McLauglin, John and J.S. Bach under Bach, J.S.
Also the problems with multiple values in ARTIST or ALBUMARTIST are already solved.
Kind regards, Peter
Music library of about 36.000 items (MP3, FLAC),
mainly maintained with MM5 (lifetime license) and Mp3tag,
on Win10 x64 22H2,
stored on Synology NAS DS218+ running MinimServer.
awlongo

Post by awlongo »

It is frustrating to learn that the music tags, "sort artist name", sort "sort album artist" and "sort album" were never consider essential. Anyone that cares how their library is organized would want to sort in that manner; it is BASIC. What's insanely worse is that this is a standard feature in iTunes.

Forget MM version 5.X, you need to have this now, 4.1.22. I can easily provide you an endless list of examples that make this feature essential, but one thought I leave you with, why can't I have "Wings" sorted under McCartney, Paul? Get with it guys, I just shelled $25 bucks out to you.

The guy (developer) who will be left standing is the guy who will fully integrate ID3V2 tagging into the player's fields. Don't you think?
Peke

Post by Peke »

Hi,
I wish that it is as simple as you put it out.

Those sort fields are non visual, tied to devices preferring Apple iTunes, our preliminary tests maintaining and supporting those fields on for example 120k and larger tracks library generate double CPU cycles and non needed lag and take very important time from developing MM5 along with introducing non needed risk of regression ATM.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts