SUB GENRES

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

I would like support for sub genre's (nested genre's)?

You may select 1 option

View results

jiri

Re: SUB GENRES

Post by jiri »

I'd like to get a Genre Categories implementation to MM5, tracked as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14214.

Jiri

Post by Guest »

The name of the Forum is MediaMonkey 4 for Windows < Wishlist, but not MM5. If you do not want to upgrade MM4 anymore, why don't you lock this forum? What is the point having two Wishlist forums?
New new wave

Post by New new wave »

jiri wrote:I'd like to get a Genre Categories implementation to MM5, tracked as http://www.ventismedia.com/mantis/view.php?id=14214.

Jiri
Why did you ask for just only two levels?
It doesn't make much sense from a musicological point of view.
How do you categorize then fusion styles like "rock-pop"? as rock or as pop?
What about "drone metal"? avant-garde, ambient or heavy metal? or maybe just "rock"?
And how about "dark wave"? gothic rock? new wave? shoegaze? or maybe just "rock" again?
Let me make it clear - there is no clear hierarchy of music genres.

I actually reasoned in a very long post why binding actual dependencies between genres to define their relations is much more practical, correct and useful than a fixed hierarchical order of genres that works only one-way, and even worse if limited to just two levels...
skrutm

Post by skrutm »

My suggestion is namespace like genres:
jazz
jazz.vocal
jazz.latin
jazz.latin.instrumentall
jazz....
jiri

Post by jiri »

I'm certainly open to any suggestion. I guess that many users will have different opinion, as genres aren't strictly defined.

As for the choice of 2 levels - the idea is to add some organization structure, while not making the whole thing overly complicated from usage or configuration point of view. Re. 'Rock-pop' - I'd expect it to be both in Rock and Pop categories.

As for more complex relations, like 'derivative' and 'influence', I see the point, the idea of writing just one entry to Genre field, which covers e.g. 5-6 genres sounds reasonable. I don't like the fact that this isn't standardized in any way. We've always tried to make MM open and to work well with other apps. In this case, if you start relying on some MM-specific genre configuration, it won't work well with 3rd party apps that don't have such a feature. Isn't this of a concern to you? Or would some optional writing of all the related genres to tags help?

Jiri