Add a Column Choice of "LAST MODIFIED" file date

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

KetchupKid

Add a Column Choice of "LAST MODIFIED" file date

Post by KetchupKid »

Add a Column Choice of "LAST MODIFIED" file date. I don't know why it isn't there, but neither Date or Timestamp does not provide that information.
Lowlander

Re: Add a Column Choice of "LAST MODIFIED" file date

Post by Lowlander »

I thought that the Timestamp field was the last modified date?

If you modify files outside of MediaMonkey you will need to run Add/Rescan Tracks and I assume the Timestamp will be updated accordingly.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I thought that if you did not have the option selected to update the timestamp, that these two would actually differ??
3.2x - Win7 Ultimate (Zen Touch 2 16 GB/Zen 8GB)
Link to Favorite Scripts/Skins

Join Dropbox, the online site to share your files
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

True, but if you want to use this date why would you disable the updating of it. What other purpose does timestamp serve than last modified date?
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

Now that I guess would have to depend on the user, since I use my same db in 3 different locations I always modify my timestamp to be the same date as the date the file(s) was added to the library.

Nyn

KetchupKid

Post by KetchupKid »

The timestamp does not reflect the 'last modified' date and time as in Windows Explorer. I think the MM timestamp is meant to serve some other purpose?? Why would a user NOT want to always have the current modified date for files in MM?

If it is meant to serve as date modified, then it doesn't function correctly - at least as I have observed.

Someone please tell me different if I am for sure wrong :).
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

It appears to function as a Last Modified for me. I can open up explorer and the last Modified date will match what MM is showing me. That goes for tracks last modified by MediaMonkey, or ones that have been modified elsewhere (like with MP3Tag).
KetchupKid

Post by KetchupKid »

Thanks for the comeback. I'll have to go back and test Timestamp vs Last Modified again. Could be I am not checking back with MM often enough to truly test it. I have 'update timestamp' checked but MM has problems in general with data updates without exiting, clearing any related caches, etc. Wish they could fix that.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

As said if you update outside of MediaMonkey the timestamp would not reflect that until you scan the tracks in again.

Please describe in detail how these two values don't match for you (what processes cause this). As for problems with updates please explain as I have no such issues, do you use the My Computer node instead of the Library node?
KetchupKid

Post by KetchupKid »

I try to avoid auto-rescan and even manually clicking a choice to rescan files. It takes forever and if done while doing something else in MM everything slows to a crawl. I have dual 2.5 processors and 4gb RAM.

I use MyComputer mode mostly. Never Library mode and frequently Playlist mode.
KetchupKid

Post by KetchupKid »

The timestamp in MM is DEFINITELY not a last modified date. For example, I had to rescan all the files in a folder (for the millionth time!) and all the time stamps are showing the exact moment they were rescanned. That is USELESS!!!
Mizery_Made

Post by Mizery_Made »

That's strange since I did a complete rescan on my library last night, and still have timestamps varying from 10/20/2008 through 08/22/2009. As the scan was conducted on 08/23/2009, if it was acting as you suggest, every timestamp in my library should be showing that.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

I also had to rebuild my library and my timestamps reflected their true date not the date they were scanned into MM. You stated you use the My Computer node, it is my understanding that these are/could be tracks which are not in the library itself (I am unsure since I do not use it or look at files which are not in my library), could this be why the dates differ? Although I do not understand why your Last Modified date changes to the date the files are added to MM, does the Added Date have the same date?

nohitter151

Post by nohitter151 »

nynaevelan wrote:Now that I guess would have to depend on the user, since I use my same db in 3 different locations I always modify my timestamp to be the same date as the date the file(s) was added to the library.

Nyn
Why? You already have the "Added" field.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
nynaevelan

Post by nynaevelan »

nohitter151 wrote:
nynaevelan wrote:Now that I guess would have to depend on the user, since I use my same db in 3 different locations I always modify my timestamp to be the same date as the date the file(s) was added to the library.

Nyn
Why? You already have the "Added" field.
Because I use the files in another program for my husband and I like to know what they are in relation to MM. And the fact I had to rebuild my library in the last couple of weeks, this made it much easier to get my added dates back to where they should be. Besides I have just enough OCD to require the control. :lol: :lol: