Compilation Flag in Media Monkey

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Bakerman1

Compilation Flag in Media Monkey

Post by Bakerman1 »

Hi,

I would like to have a flag in the album view which can be checkt for compilation as it is in Media Rage or iTunes.
It is much more comfortable as all songs in various artists - the search results are not as good as you use the compilation flag.

Is there a possibility to implement this Checkbox in the Media Monkey software?
Is there a version planned for mac?

Thanks

Bakerman1
nohitter151

Re: Compilation Flag in Media Monkey

Post by nohitter151 »

Whats the advantage of a 'compilation' checkbox? I don't quite see why this is so helpful over the current compilation method.
MediaMonkey user since 2006
Need help? Got a suggestion? Can't find something?

Please no PMs in reply to a post. Just reply in the thread.
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

I agree with nohitter151. I don't really understand the request, can you try to explain?

Regarding MM for Mac:

MM for Mac - I just switched to Apple

Media Monkey for Mac?
jiri wrote:Sep 05, 2008
We really can't tell more at this moment, since it's very early in the project planning/developing phase. It definitely won't take less than several months, but more likely something like 1-2 years. We certainly will post information about anything important, like some alpha testing, etc.

Jiri
Bakerman1

Post by Bakerman1 »

The compilation Flac ist useful when you have a compilation where each Track is only written with Artist and Songname in the correct field.
And if there is no Compilation flac, you will get a folder for each artist. And I don´t want to have the Artist in the Trackname.

Thats the reason why I prefer it like it is in iTunes etc.

thanks
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

In MediaMonkey you just need to set the Album Artist field to the same artist value for all tracks on the compilation album and the tracks will be shown as one album. Commonly used values for compilation album's Album Artist field are VA, Various or Various Artists.
jimwillsher

Post by jimwillsher »

Sorry to trawl up an old post, but this would be an EXTREMELY useful feature for me.

I use (and bought) MM in order to tag my files. I do not use MM to play the files - all my music is play on a Logitech/Squeezebox player. I've just wasted three hours trying to understand an issue between two albums, and I now see that one album has the FLAC tag COMPILATION set to 1, the other has it set to 0. Of course, MM doesn't show me this tag....

Jim
jwhitworth

Post by jwhitworth »

Here is another vote for the implementation of a "Compilation Tag" feature in Media Monkey. As with the previous poster it is related to my music player which is also SqueezeServer.

Other posts discussing this indicate if I use another product to add this tag it may interfere with MM's ability to read the file's tags and I do not want to screw up my FLAC file tags just for the "Compilation Tag" feature. I do not think I should need to use another product to tag my FLAC files. That is why I bought MediaMonkey. This is the only feature I have found lacking.
trinkner

Post by trinkner »

I too would like the binary Compilation tag to be editable/accessible via MediaMonkey. I also use the Squeezebox devices, which handle Compilation albums using this tag. Squeezebox lists such albums under "Various Artists." I also would like MediaMonkey to recognize the Compilation tag when auto-organizing, and to store the tracks as an album under the "Various Artists" album artist, instead of splitting the tracks across multiple artist directories.
TJ

Post by TJ »

I'm not familiar with Squeezebox but can it recognize the AlbumArtist field? I see no need for a compilations checkbox when the AlbumArtist field is already being used. Keep in mind that the compilations checkbox found in itunes was there long before the AlbumArtist field became a standard.

My opinion is the compilations checkbox is outdated and would not like to see it included in MM.
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Maybe MediaMonkey should set this field automatically in files (behind the scenes) when users have albums where there are tracks where Artist is not Album Artist. This way for any other software/devices that don't understand the Album Artist field will still behave properly.
DazB

Post by DazB »

Hi,

Albums with tracks where the Artist is not Album Artist doesn't necessarily mean it's a compilation.

Daz
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

True, but do software/hardware that depend on the compilation flag (and don't understand Album Artist) see these as one Album in that case.
DazB

Post by DazB »

Lowlander wrote:True, but do software/hardware that depend on the compilation flag (and don't understand Album Artist) see these as one Album in that case.
I dunno, but Spoon (dBpoweramp) seems to think that it's required and therefore "Various Artists" isn't - I don't BTW.

Daz
Metazargo

Post by Metazargo »

DazB wrote:Albums with tracks where the Artist is not Album Artist doesn't necessarily mean it's a compilation.
Yes, I agree.

For compilations I set album artist as 'Compilation', 'Soundtrack', 'Collection' (private compilation), 'Mix' (DJ mixed) and track artist is the effective playing main artist(s). So good so fine. Why do I need a compilation flag?

I use Squeezebox Server where you can set a basic behavior of TPE2 MP3 tag, either as Band or as Album Artist. Band will show all Artists (aka Track A.) and Band (aka Album A.). I use treat TPE2 MP3 tag as Album Artist.

It only adds album artists to the list of browseable artists. If an artists is somewhere set as album artist, it will also show the tracks which are under compilations. With the compilation flag set to true it will also add the track artists to the artist list which are nowhere set as album artists. In a way clever, it gives control not to have single track artists from compilations filling up my artists list.

In my case I would flag only about 10% of my compilations as compilations. But it would help.
Music is the Answer

Manage it with MediaMonkey
LIsten to it on Squeezebox Touch, -Radio, -Controller, -Receiver, Squeezelite-X, iPeng on iPhone
Serve it by Squeezebox Server aka LMS running on QNAP
Store it to NAS Raid 1 with backup to OneDrive
Solitaire001

Post by Solitaire001 »

One available option is to rename one of the custom fields "Compilation." Then enter "Yes" in the field when appropriate.

I had a similar issue with music tracks. I wanted to be able to separate the music tracks from the non-music tracks. Using the genre field didn't work since some genres, such as comedy, feature both music and non-music tracks. I renamed one of the custom fields "Music" and put "Yes" or "No" in the field. This allows me to create playlists that contain only music.