MM vs. WMP, Three thing I'd like to see in MM for CD ripping

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Rockin' R

MM vs. WMP, Three thing I'd like to see in MM for CD ripping

Post by Rockin' R »

I still use WMP for ripping (with MP3 encoder) for three reasons.

1. It's faster, when I am ripping Cds I am ripping dozens of them at a time, time is money :wink: This has been addressed in the wish list.

2. Auto rip and auto eject, makes the process very smooth, so I can get my wife to do it while I'm work. :D this also has been addressed.

3. WMP will tell you if an album has allready been ripped into your Library helping to prevent duplicate albums and reducing overall riptime. :( I have not seen this mentioned on the wish list and think it would be a great benifet to those of us with large librarys (40,000 and growing).

BTW using WMP as a ripper can be tricky with a large library, it locks up it you try to access the library. It's fine to rip, play, and do videos but click on the library button and your screwed (ctrl+alt+delete screwed)

Thanks again guys and keep up the awsome work
ggibby

Rip 'n Roll Wishlist Item

Post by ggibby »

I've been using Windows Media Player 10 to rip, too, but the forced file structure (Artist\Album\Artist-Title) and album art files were bugging me.

Here's the Wishlist item:
I do like the ability to review and edit the MP3 tags before I start ripping, especially when I can change the genre, album artist, and album very quickly.

Praise the Monkey!

-G

Post by Guest »

You can edit the results that come back from freeDB in the freeDB results window (only shows with multiple results). You can edit the tracks in the CD drive node in the My Computer node.
MM will use the new values when ripping. Just remember that some of the advanced fields won't be used during ripping. All fields on the first tab of the song properties window will be used I believe.

There have been requests that song editing before ripping can be done thru the ripping window as this is more logical to many.
ggibby

Post by ggibby »

Whoa- thanks!

I guess I'm not used to the conventions yet. The CD Module is exactly what I was looking for!

I do agree that popping the disc at the end of the rip would be nice, but otherwise, I'm getting more into the Monkey every day!

And the MixMeister BPM app owked pretty well, but make sure to set aside some time if you're collection is on the larger side- it moved quick, but 10 seconds a song over 4,000 songs...

Thanks for the tip!

-G
leitchst

Post by leitchst »

I'd love to be able to automatically generate a playlist for an album when I rip the CD.

I do this so that I can listen to the album in correct order on my iRiver portable.

For what it's worth winamp does this really nicely.

/Stuart
Lowlander

Post by Lowlander »

Well I would word your wish differently.

It doesn't seem to make sense to create playlist per album in MM itself. You got the album node showing that information.

But an option to create playlists per album on sync (with optional rules you could set) would work very well in your case.