Tabbed MediaMonkey!!!

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

Peke

Re: Tabbed MediaMonkey!!!

Post by Peke »

This is something already talked about, I even remember that experimenting with way how to best implement it.

It is on our To-Do for some time but now TABS e more standard issue than then.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts
gtbuzz

Post by gtbuzz »

+1

This is one of the cooler features of Songbird. I'd like to see a similar implementation in MM.
MM3 monkey

Post by MM3 monkey »

Me too. :)
Onweerwolf

Post by Onweerwolf »

This feature would be very welcome. :)
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

I'm trying to see the advantages for having tabs in MM. I love them in Opera, and particularly the *nested* tabs in Firefox, but I can't see much use over what playlists already provide. In a real sense, playlists are really tabs in disguise. Can someone elaborate further?

If there is something that would be useful (and far easier to implement), then it would be keeping a separate 'quick search' (you know, where it says "current selection", "Entire library" or "Library (filtered)")... for each playlist. Switching back and forward between playlists would then always keep the filtered view of that playlist.
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.
Teknojnky

Post by Teknojnky »

Multiple tabs would allow user to have multiple simultanious differing view and nodes/filters/tracklists active at the same time, ideally allowing easy drag/drop exchange between tabs.

Independent work done in one tab would not affect the other tabs, but any updates of same data should of course be propogated and reflected in other tabs.

A practical example:

Tab 1, viewing several thousand tracks (possibly a randomly generated auto-playlist)
Tab 2, building a static playlist for future burn to cd/dvd

In current MM, switching views will regenerate the auto-playlist, potentially giving an entirely different tracklist.

With multiple tabs, each tabs view is preserved while still being able to exchange and update tracks from one tab to another.

You could also have multiple tabs with differing playlists to add to now playing list (think dj setup) without having to constantly refresh tracklist from switching playlist in tree.
twinbee

Post by twinbee »

Multiple tabs would allow user to have multiple simultanious differing view and nodes/filters/tracklists active at the same time, ideally allowing easy drag/drop exchange between tabs.
But why not then just incorporate the view functionality into the playlist node itself? If the answer is that you may want a different view of the same playlist, then MM could decouple the 'view' option and then put it into a separate dropdown selector or maybe a list of nodes which look like nodes, but actually change view. Tabs aren't needed?

By the way, when I talk about 'view', I mean stuff like position of GUI buttons/icons, and different tag columns displayed (Artist, Album...), or different widths for these. I don't necessarily mean how far down the tracklist slider is - which can easily be made part of the playlist node.
Independent work done in one tab would not affect the other tabs, but any updates of same data should of course be propogated and reflected in other tabs.

A practical example:

Tab 1, viewing several thousand tracks (possibly a randomly generated auto-playlist)
Tab 2, building a static playlist for future burn to cd/dvd

In current MM, switching views will regenerate the auto-playlist, potentially giving an entirely different tracklist.
One could easily add an option to 'freeze' the list... (either via MM or inside the auto-playlist script itself).
With multiple tabs, each tabs view is preserved while still being able to exchange and update tracks from one tab to another.

You could also have multiple tabs with differing playlists to add to now playing list (think dj setup) without having to constantly refresh tracklist from switching playlist in tree.
Not sure I understand fully there, but a good alternative (maybe) is to multiple select playlist nodes, and select add to Now Playling. Some of those could have frozen lists, and others could have dynamically generated ones.

Just to reiterate, I can't see why each playlist node can't be its own 'tab', and where the slider scroll position is kept when you change node. It seems better to unify what we already have, than to branch off further.
MegaDJ v2 - Lightning fast and easy to use search to replace the standard AutoPlaylist. Features include random jukebox style playlists, along with syncing, weighting options, and logic complete querying.
demsarblaz

Post by demsarblaz »

Hi all!

Is this topic dead?
Namelly I face the same problem as well.
To my understanding the problem is in the single main window (or is ti called track window?).
With choosing a node in the e.g. library or playist, the tracks are presented in the main window. When then switching to other node, again the tracks are presented in the SAME main window.
Examples of problems:
e.g. I would like to copy/move e.g. a track from one playlist to a playlist with 1000 tracks in it into target position 12. I cant use the great drag/drop functionality since at once I see only one main window.
e.g. I would like to move a track from position 1000 to 10. I need to scroll the main window all the way up...!

As a suggestion, a functionality of splitting the main window would do the task. The selected node is presented in the main window, in which the current focus is in. Drag/drop between main windows should work.

LG
Blaz
Peke

Post by Peke »

No it is not dead, feature is still on to do.
Best regards,
Peke
MediaMonkey Team lead QA/Tech Support guru
Admin of Free MediaMonkey addon Site HappyMonkeying
How to attach PICTURE/SCREENSHOTS to forum posts