synch mdb - favorites - art visible

Any ideas about how to improve MediaMonkey for Windows 4? Let us know!

Moderator: Gurus

TulsaMJ

synch mdb - favorites - art visible

Post by TulsaMJ »

A few things I'd like to see:
  • At home I have my wife set up on a separate login for our computer so she has a separate copy of the mdb file. In addition, I have a copy at work. I'd love to have a way to synch these multiple copies of the mdb. For example... when I add a new CD to our ripped files at home, synch those songs into her mdb directly, or when she adds a new virtual CD synch that information directly into my mdb. Send myself an email or copy the mdb to a thumb drive, and synch my star ratings from work to my MediaMonkey at home. It would be a manual process, of course. I realize I can set up the auto-scan stuff for new media files, but wouldn't it be COOL to synch directly?
  • I find myself continually accessing some of the same nodes. For example, when I get new files from a download or something, I always save them in a folder called "NEW." Sure would be nice to be able to sort of "bookmark" that folder so I don't have to drill down to it every time. Maybe a "favorites" node of some kind would be doable?
  • When I minimize to the Now Playing dialog, I would like to see Now Playing AND the album art. Seems like as it is, it's either Now Playing only, or everything. I've gone to a lot of trouble to get album art into my MP3s... I'd sure like to be able to see it without having the whole player open!
I really love MediaMonkey. I've already recommended it to several people. As far as I'm concerned, it's the best media player software out there!
trixmoto

Post by trixmoto »

1) Well if you keep the MDB file on an external drive like I do then you can point both your work MM and your home MM at the same file, therefore removing the need to sync.

2) Try Steegy's Favourite Nodes script.

3) I think MM3 (currently in alpha) will solve this problem for you! :)
Download my scripts at my own MediaMonkey fansite.
All the code for my website and scripts is safely backed up immediately and for free using Dropbox.
TulsaMJ

Post by TulsaMJ »

trixmoto wrote:2) Try Steegy's Favourite Nodes script.
Thanks for this! I'm trying it out right this minute.
trixmoto wrote:1) Well if you keep the MDB file on an external drive like I do then you can point both your work MM and your home MM at the same file, therefore removing the need to sync.
Problems with that idea are that (1) the files are not located in the same places at work and home (at work they are local, at home they are on a file server), and (2) that still doesn't solve the problem of synching with my wife's copy of MediaMonkey.
emalvick

Post by emalvick »

In terms of synching the mdb at home for the different logins, I would use one mdb file and have each ini file point to that one location. This way, you'll keep your database in sync. automatically for each user. However, if you intend on your wife and yourself to maintain separate ratings, then you might have to just keep two separate databases, and you'd just have to add tracks to each MM instance separately. If you use the gold version, it can be set to automatically scan tracks so that each mdb would automatically have the same songs by virtue of the automatic scan.

As for transporting between work and home, I don't think that will be too easy although there might be ways of syncing the ratings involving scripts.

Erik